Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 4-21-14 & Struggling

It's so easy at the beginning to think you've screwed the whole thing up by eating the "wrong foods." You still have "diet mentality." I'm no veteran by any means...I'm only 8.5 months out. But...somewhere around the 6 month mark it hit me...I'm not on a diet anymore. I can't screw the whole thing up because I ate ice cream. I'm not a failure because I had that delicious chocolate caramel from that wonderful chocolate store in Asheville. NO...I've made a huge lifestyle change. I'm not really forbidden anything (at this point...early on, yes I was restricted by my doc). I choose not to eat the things I am not eating (pasta, bread...).

So, please don't be down on yourself. You are amazing! You are brave for making the choice to be banded. Just take a breath and make the changes you need to make. Review the guidelines your doc gave you. Check your Water intake.

And, lastly...remember to be patient with yourself. You are so worth this...

And as for those Quest bars...I'm about to dig into one right now :) Yummy!

I can relate to that...took me 6 months before it hit me also....a few more months to figure out what the heck was happening. found my groove and it has been getting better and better....

But back to the OP....you were banded less than 2 months ago??? No offense, but has your Dr. ever explained the reasoning for getting fills - adjustments to your band? Have you had a fill yet???

8 weeks after surgery, I went in for my 2nd fill...first the weigh in, and I GAINED WEIGHT since my first appointment, 4 weeks prior when I also had my first fill of 4cc's....

I felt perhaps worse than you...and know what??? My Dr. laughed at me....the new people just don't get it, he said....and he explained it again to me, step by step....and I still could not comprehend what he was trying to tell me....nothing can be that easy...

yet, 4-6 months later....WHAM....there it was. And it has not gone away since!

I feel similar. I was banded 5/8/14 and have not received a fill yet. I have gained back half the weight I lost and also feel like a failure. I too am thinking about going back to liquids for a little while to get back on track. Good luck and hopefully we get our minds in line with our hearts!

I can relate to that...took me 6 months before it hit me also....a few more months to figure out what the heck was happening. found my groove and it has been getting better and better.... But back to the OP....you were banded less than 2 months ago??? No offense, but has your Dr. ever explained the reasoning for getting fills - adjustments to your band? Have you had a fill yet??? 8 weeks after surgery, I went in for my 2nd fill...first the weigh in, and I GAINED WEIGHT since my first appointment, 4 weeks prior when I also had my first fill of 4cc's.... I felt perhaps worse than you...and know what??? My Dr. laughed at me....the new people just don't get it, he said....and he explained it again to me, step by step....and I still could not comprehend what he was trying to tell me....nothing can be that easy... yet, 4-6 months later....WHAM....there it was. And it has not gone away since!

Yes my doctor has been very informative and wonderful! Had my first fill may 27th and I know it's a slow process to get to your green zone!! I just gotta stop making excuses and get with the program! I know I have to make the band work for me not the other way around! Still adjusting and old habits are hard to break!

This is my first post and I'm really needing some support! Feeling like a huge failure! Been eating all the wrong foods and can't seem to get back on track! I've decided to start a liquid diet again for a week to see if this helps! Old habits are hard to break after so many years!

My surgery was only 3 days before yours and I'm at that point where it's getting tougher to lose the weight now too! It's very easy to fall back into old habits but you're doing the right thing by realizing you're slipping and trying to get back on track.

A lot of people do the liquid diet thing as a reset for themselves. That could be a good place to start if you feel like it will help. What I've been doing is starting things slow again. Getting back into an exercise routine of walking 2 miles a day, every day is my first step. Even just walking is better than sitting! As far as food goes, I've gone back to counting calories and just being more diligent about what I'm eating.

If you try and think about why you got the surgery and imagine what you want your future to be like, you'll start to get your motivation back! I wish you the best of luck. You can do this :D

I feel similar. I was banded 5/8/14 and have not received a fill yet. I have gained back half the weight I lost and also feel like a failure. I too am thinking about going back to liquids for a little while to get back on track. Good luck and hopefully we get our minds in line with our hearts!

I think the first 2-3 months are going to be the hardest on us until we get some good restriction! Until then it's gonna be us having to make a real solid commitment to changing our ways! I'm going to make an appointment to see the dietician at my doctors office so I can get some ideas on food prep and recipes and stuff! It's difficult to cook for your family and have all these restrictions on yourself! We can do it though stay strong!!!

Icoolpix did u do a preop diet and for how many weeks? I'm a massive comfort eater but found the pre op diet is getting me in the right frame of mind I'm not much help because I'm only a week into my pre op diet lol so not sure how ill b after surgery but not finding the diet any where near as hard as previous times!

My surgery was only 3 days before yours and I'm at that point where it's getting tougher to lose the weight now too! It's very easy to fall back into old habits but you're doing the right thing by realizing you're slipping and trying to get back on track. A lot of people do the liquid diet thing as a reset for themselves. That could be a good place to start if you feel like it will help. What I've been doing is starting things slow again. Getting back into an exercise routine of walking 2 miles a day, every day is my first step. Even just walking is better than sitting! As far as food goes, I've gone back to counting calories and just being more diligent about what I'm eating. If you try and think about why you got the surgery and imagine what you want your future to be like, you'll start to get your motivation back! I wish you the best of luck. You can do this :D

Thanks I really appreciate the support! It's not easy that's for sure! I've got a lot on my plate in addition to trying to get my life and health on track! My 9 year old is special needs and is my full-time job aside from being a stay at home mom! I have a very active 3 year old boy who's into everything! Somedays it's difficult to find time to sit down and eat slowly and be mindful of drinking restriction before and after meals! Hoping now that school is out I can get a little more help from my 23&17 year old daughters!! It definitely felt good to lose them first twenty pounds and I'm looking forward to dropping more!!

Lots of great advice here lcoopix. I want to emphasis what Bandista offered. And I say this because if I have candy, chocolate or chips in the house I'm going to eat them. Every day. Don't buy them. Your kids don't need them. Don't help them build addictions to the same foods that made you unhealthy? There was an article on this forum recently that really hit home for me. http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/mental-health/avoid-or-alter-r201 If you have time, read this. You might find it helpful. And, you're in Bandster Hell right now. You won't feel the magic till your band is adjusted properly. Don't beat yourself up too much, almost all of us went through this stage and it's really HELL! I went through it for 4 months. And, you're in good company with thousands of other people who also had no self control. You will, just keep working on it.

Thank you!! Your right I just need to quit buying the bad food!! I was afraid someone would say it's gonna take a few months before getting that good restriction!! I really need to get some more food options and recipes! I'm not much for eating the same things over and over! Gets boring and then I cheat and eat what I shouldn't be eating!! Thanks for the advice and I'll be reading the article soon!!

Icoolpix did u do a preop diet and for how many weeks? I'm a massive comfort eater but found the pre op diet is getting me in the right frame of mind I'm not much help because I'm only a week into my pre op diet lol so not sure how ill b after surgery but not finding the diet any where near as hard as previous times!

Yes I did my pre-op clear liquid diet a week before surgery! I'm an emotional eater as well! The liquid diet was hard the first couple of days but once the hunger pains went away it wasn't so bad! Good luck with your surgery!!

I can totally empathize with you! All the ladies that posted previously are absolutely right. You've already conquered the hardest part. Acting on your decision to get banded. Each day we are blessed with is a new day so use it as such. If you have some really good greasy Mexican food, so be it. Get back on the wagon your next meal. Do all the things you already know to do and be the you that you will be proud of. I'm sure the ones who love you support you fully, so do yourself that same courtesy. Keep some good for you food around so when you get hungry, you won't binge and enjoy the new you that you are becoming. Be blessed :)

Just a little warning about short term liquid diets. They may be good for cleansing and resetting your pouch if you believe it may be stretched, but the rebound effects of a fast like this can cause people to binge at the end or before the end.

My personal recommendation is to just eat solid, healthy and nutritional food. Eat more than a cup. Eat two cups, but don't allow yourself to be hungry. Hunger can cause even the most determined bander to go on a binge. During Bandster Hell I didn't gain a lb and I didn't lose any either. But, I made sure I didn't suffer through some stupid diet again. I just ate healthy food. Diets don't work, and fad or fasting diets never worked, remember?

Edited by 2muchfun

@lcoolpix. This may be helpful to you, as well as other articles on this site. I reread this about a thousand times: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

This is a great time to practice mindfulness and eating slowly. I did some practicing with the clock and a small sized plate and shrimp fork and baby spoon (I still use these). I'd notice my breathing, what else was going on in the room, the color of the food, etc., then have a bite every sixty seconds putting my utensil down in-between. Just to get used to slowing down -- I was such a Bolter. Maybe your nine-year old could assist in some way to help make it a game. Goal is a twenty minute meal. He might think it's fun to help time you or whatever is a good fit for where he is developmentally. You could watch the clock together -- how slowly that second hand moves! Or make your meal time when he is occupied with a show or something. Don't graze in-between.

And yes you'll need the help of your older children and other family members so get every one on board for the summer of YOU. Let them know how critical this is, enough that you had surgery. Once you're in your groove and have lost some weight you'll have a ton more energy and every one will benefit. But you have got to choose yourself first. They will help you but you're going to have to really let them all know over and over at first. Otherwise it's just Mom doing it all as usual. This is the your time, it has to be.

Have you been on solid food for long? Just curious, because I was banded the same day as you.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Betty you look so good. Congrats