Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 4-21-14 & Struggling

This is my first post and I'm really needing some support! Feeling like a huge failure! Been eating all the wrong foods and can't seem to get back on track! I've decided to start a liquid diet again for a week to see if this helps! Old habits are hard to break after so many years!

you've already started to make a change and thats what matters! i've only been banded about 4.5 weeks, so i cant help but so much. i just make sure i eat my Protein first, then veggies, and usually dont have room for carbs/starches.

if your craving something sweet, I'm all about the Quest bars. they're high in Protein, low in net carbs, and have very few ingredients compared to other Protein Bars, and they have tons of flavors to chew from.

you've got this.. obviously the band cant do it all!

Thank you betty_s!!! I'm going to have to try these Quest bars I've read a lot of posts with people recommending them! I'm still learning how to use this app and reply and such so forgive me if it takes me a while!

no worries! and i'm hear if you need someone to vent to!

You're only a failure if you give up, which you clearly haven't done. You're getting yourself back on track and honestly I think you're doing that the correct way and you're on here asking for support so don't give up, you can totally do this! A couple of questions Have you had a fill yet? What types of food are you eating? How much are you eating at each meal? What is your total calorie intake? Are you drinking enough Fluid? Exercise? Just asking so that maybe there are some pointers we can help you with.

Edited by enjoythetime

shake yourself off, regroup and make better food choices today.

Okay, that was for me. @@lcoolpix, feel free to use that advice if you need to!

Most of us have days here and there that are less than perfect. I had a great weight loss week so what did I do? Made some dumbass food choices recently. I need to take the above advice I just gave myself and move forward.

It's so easy at the beginning to think you've screwed the whole thing up by eating the "wrong foods." You still have "diet mentality." I'm no veteran by any means...I'm only 8.5 months out. But...somewhere around the 6 month mark it hit me...I'm not on a diet anymore. I can't screw the whole thing up because I ate ice cream. I'm not a failure because I had that delicious chocolate caramel from that wonderful chocolate store in Asheville. NO...I've made a huge lifestyle change. I'm not really forbidden anything (at this point...early on, yes I was restricted by my doc). I choose not to eat the things I am not eating (Pasta, bread...).

So, please don't be down on yourself. You are amazing! You are brave for making the choice to be banded. Just take a breath and make the changes you need to make. Review the guidelines your doc gave you. Check your Water intake.

And, lastly...remember to be patient with yourself. You are so worth this...

And as for those Quest bars...I'm about to dig into one right now :) Yummy!

Wow so grateful I made a choice to start a thread on here! Thanks everyone for your support! I've been eating lots of chips and chocolate! I know both are bad and I have not been keeping up with my Water intake! I'm an emotional eater and some days I just can't seem to get it together! I haven't been exercising daily like I should but I have exercised and that's more than what I did before which was nothing! I have a special needs son who is 9 and he takes up a lot of my time! Just need to stop making excuses and find time for me!

You're only a failure if you give up, which you clearly haven't done. You're getting yourself back on track and honestly I think you're doing that the correct way and you're on here asking for support so don't give up, you can totally do this! A couple of questions Have you had a fill yet? What types of food are you eating? How much are you eating at each meal? What is your total calorie intake? Are you drinking enough Fluid? Exercise? Just asking so that maybe there are some pointers we can help you with.

I had my first fill may 27th and I'm still not feeling very much restriction! Also at times I eat when I'm not even hungry! Stupid I know but old habits die hard!! I'm not keeping track of calories which I guess I should start doing to keep myself honest and on track!

You didn't jump through all of those hoops and go through surgery to give up now. Minute by minute, hour by hour, be your own best cheerleader; only you can make the changes. Remember how good you feel mentally when you conquer a craving or handle stress by doing something other than eating, by not going to bed with a full tummy and THAT will help you do it again and again. And when the scale starts to follow, well, that makes it even easier to make good choices!

You didn't jump through all of those hoops and go through surgery to give up now. Minute by minute, hour by hour, be your own best cheerleader; only you can make the changes. Remember how good you feel mentally when you conquer a craving or handle stress by doing something other than eating, by not going to bed with a full tummy and THAT will help you do it again and again. And when the scale starts to follow, well, that makes it even easier to make good choices!

Thank you sherlock1969 for the advice!! I spent a lot of money to get this done and it will not be in vain!! Time to get busy and stick to the plan!!

This can be a difficult time -- pat yourself on the back for choosing yourself and your healthy future, for getting the band and deciding to change your life. It's all happening -- it can be hard to see on a day-to-day basis sometimes. I am seven months out and while not on a diet I have to be a little careful of what's in the house. Less so than before, but I try not to have temptation there beckoning. Can you clear out the pantry, car, desk, whatever? chips and chocolate banned for a while? And be sure to keep all your appointments with your surgeon for follow-up; they are there for you. The most important thing right now is learning how to listen to your body, listen to your band. Later, when you're in the green zone, when the band talks you will have to listen so it's great if you can begin picking up on signals now. Hunger is not the enemy. As for emotional eating, you are in very good company. I think that's how most of us got to where we are. I have finally learned to let the feelings come even if I am overwhelmed and it's interesting to find out that they are not so bad. Tamping them down was such a temporary fix anyway. Best wishes to you -- glad you're here!

This can be a difficult time -- pat yourself on the back for choosing yourself and your healthy future, for getting the band and deciding to change your life. It's all happening -- it can be hard to see on a day-to-day basis sometimes. I am seven months out and while not on a diet I have to be a little careful of what's in the house. Less so than before, but I try not to have temptation there beckoning. Can you clear out the pantry, car, desk, whatever? chips and chocolate banned for a while? And be sure to keep all your appointments with your surgeon for follow-up; they are there for you. The most important thing right now is learning how to listen to your body, listen to your band. Later, when you're in the green zone, when the band talks you will have to listen so it's great if you can begin picking up on signals now. Hunger is not the enemy. As for emotional eating, you are in very good company. I think that's how most of us got to where we are. I have finally learned to let the feelings come even if I am overwhelmed and it's interesting to find out that they are not so bad. Tamping them down was such a temporary fix anyway. Best wishes to you -- glad you're here!

Thanks! It has been difficult and I know this is going to take time! I have 4 children and I don't like the fact that I have to deny them certain foods cause I don't have enough self control to say no!! How long did it take you to get in a grove and stay there! I'm having a hard time with the no liquids 30 mins before/during/and after meals! I really hate that part!!

Lots of great advice here lcoopix. I want to emphasis what Bandista offered. And I say this because if I have candy, chocolate or chips in the house I'm going to eat them. Every day. Don't buy them. Your kids don't need them. Don't help them build addictions to the same foods that made you unhealthy?

There was an article on this forum recently that really hit home for me. http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/mental-health/avoid-or-alter-r201 If you have time, read this. You might find it helpful.

And, you're in Bandster Hell right now. You won't feel the magic till your band is adjusted properly. Don't beat yourself up too much, almost all of us went through this stage and it's really HELL! I went through it for 4 months. And, you're in good company with thousands of other people who also had no self control. You will, just keep working on it.