Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

300 pounds later....am I living a dream or is this in fact reality?

Bandster hell was the toughest phase for me. I think it was 6 or 7 months before I really found the zone and the weight really started moving. It was frustrating as hell but I stuck with it because it was all I had. Anything was better then the alternative. If you find yourself stuck in bandster hell or even going in the wrong direction with the scale the LAST thing you ever want to do is cancel appointments out of embarrassment. Doctors and adjustments cannot help you if you do not go to those appointments and let it all hang out. No excuses, no embarrassment just tell them what is really going on and let them help you.

Nice to see you online again @Jim1967. This paragraph has to be pinned somewhere. Banded folks have got to understand that this surgery can be slow and frustrating at times but that you can't give up. I see it way too often and I wonder why doctors don't explain this part of the process better...or if we are guilty of 'selective' listening and just don't hear this part.

Great post Jim!

Bandster hell was the toughest phase for me. I think it was 6 or 7 months before I really found the zone and the weight really started moving. It was frustrating as hell but I stuck with it because it was all I had. Anything was better then the alternative. If you find yourself stuck in bandster hell or even going in the wrong direction with the scale the LAST thing you ever want to do is cancel appointments out of embarrassment. Doctors and adjustments cannot help you if you do not go to those appointments and let it all hang out. No excuses, no embarrassment just tell them what is really going on and let them help you.

Nice to see you online again @Jim1967. This paragraph has to be pinned somewhere. Banded folks have got to understand that this surgery can be slow and frustrating at times but that you can't give up. I see it way too often and I wonder why doctors don't explain this part of the process better...or if we are guilty of 'selective' listening and just don't hear this part.

Great post Jim!

Thank you. I try to think back and I honestly cannot remember if the slow part, bandster hell was ever explained to me. I remember reading about on here when I was pre-op but I honestly don't recall being told by my doctor and staff. Maybe it was selective hearing. Still went and had surgery and about two months in and the frustration kicked in. Even though I read about here I still let it get to me. Thankfully, I just stuck with it and kept up the appointments and fills. I was determined. One way or another I was going to exhaust the resource I invested time and money in and take it as far as it could go and if it didn't work out at least I gave it my best and would start looking at other options.

Sleeve at the time was not an option for me. My Surgeon was not yet offering it back in 2012. In fact I think I was a year post op when they started offering Sleeve as an option.

Everything I learned about the band I learned here, from you guys -- certainly not the packet of info from my hospital. I saw who the successful motivated people were and jumped on the bandwagon with you. Thanks so much for that!

Everything I learned about the band I learned here, from you guys -- certainly not the packet of info from my hospital. I saw who the successful motivated people were and jumped on the bandwagon with you. Thanks so much for that!

So glad I can pay it forward. Missy and CG were my angels when I started and I wanted to be able to help others as they helped me. Still sad that they have left the forum...

I talk to Missy very often. She is doing great and living life. Like most of us who live in the 'winter' states she is waiting for warmer weather to come and thaw and get outside and play again :-)

Sadly, I do not speak with CG much at all. I visit her blog every now and then but I don't hear from her much.

Please tell Missy I say hello. I keep in touch with CG and check up on her. She's going through some difficult times with the loss of her mom and now her father-in-law but she's hanging in there. Thanks for the update Jim.

I agree with you all, CG and Missy were my lifelines. I got so much information, energy and motivation from them CG's no nonsense attitude and Missy's education and information were what I valued. I appreciate everyone who contributes their experiences and wisdom. I do not believe my Dr. fully explained the good , bad and ugly part of being banded. But, I have to say that I have been happy with my decision and would not change it. Thanks again guys for your part in helping this old lady get her life back.

Congratulations to Jim1967 for your inspirational story. I hope you continue to be a success story forever ! !!! I cant say enough "thank you s" to everybody on this forum. As great as my Dr. and his staff and info was ( and still is) its the people who live daily with WLS that I found to be the most helpful. I knew I could always read/ask about anything, and go away happy that I was well within "normal" . Reading others questions and answers was a huge reason I think everything went so smoothly for me. A big THANKYOU to all !!

I was banded this past December and have gone in for fills every two weeks since then and still haven't seen much weight loss. I'm feeling discouraged because I'm at 6.25 cc of Fluid in my band, and I'm still not feeling enough of a restriction. I know I'm close, but I can't imagine even losing 20 pounds, let alone 300. I've only lost about 8 pounds so far and still can eat a pretty decent portion, although it's significantly smaller than what I used to eat. I think this is due to my plication and not my band.

I had one moment when a piece of broccoli felt like it wasn't going down the right way, but so far all food goes down without any problems. I don't eat as much as I used to and I've noticed that drinking Water will sometimes fill me up, but I'm still not seeing much as far as weight loss. It's discouraging. I'll go in for another fill in two weeks and hope that another 1/2 cc or so tightens things up. I think it's so strange that it takes some people so much more Fluid to have their lapband kick in while others, like me, have to go back for 5-6 months for fills.

Sometimes I question if this band really works?? I'm not giving up, just waiting to find the illusive green zone. Thanks for sharing your story. You're an inspiration.

Edited by bkchick88

bkchick88,

Give it time. I was banded 11/28/11 and had only lost 12 lbs till late March of 2012 with 2 fills. I had a consult with my nutritionist and she made a few adjustments in what I was eating. I was filled at the same time for the 3rd time and suddenly fat started to melt off.

I attribute my weight loss to eating the right foods and exercise, lots of exercise. Talk to your nut!

tmf

bkchick88,

Give it time. I was banded 11/28/11 and had only lost 12 lbs till late March of 2012 with 2 fills. I had a consult with my nutritionist and she made a few adjustments in what I was eating. I was filled at the same time for the 3rd time and suddenly fat started to melt off.

I attribute my weight loss to eating the right foods and exercise, lots of exercise. Talk to your nut!

tmf

Thank you, 2muchfun.

I'm going for my 5th fill today. I have problems exercising because of my knees. I'm scheduled for a total knee replacement on July 1st. Unfortunately, I'll have to have everything taken out of my band for the surgery, so I'll have to start over. At least I'll know how far my band will have to be filled the next time around. Maybe today's fill will be exactly what I need and I'll have the next three months to peel some weight off. I'm certainly ready to see some results. I don't have a nut, so I'm figuring this out on my own.

Edited by bkchick88

My weight-loss was slow... but steady... and that's what wins the race. Keep positive and surround your self with great support. Look at my signature... Slow and steady...

You can do this.

Thank you for sharing your touch story and awesome success. Many Blessings to you and yours.

Thank you, 2muchfun.

bkchick88,

tmf

I'm going for my 5th fill today. I have problems exercising because of my knees. I'm scheduled for a total knee replacement on July 1st. Unfortunately, I'll have to have everything taken out of my band for the surgery, so I'll have to start over. At least I'll know how far my band will have to be filled the next time around. Maybe today's fill will be exactly what I need and I'll have the next three months to peel some weight off. I'm certainly ready to see some results. I don't have a nut, so I'm figuring this out on my own.

My doc didn't require me to take any Fluid out and I had my left knee replaced on 10/20/14 and my right knee done on 12/22/14 and had an appendectomy on 12/14/14. I lost 15 lbs after my surgeries but I think much of it was muscle loss.

BTW-I've had about 9 fills to finally get to the point where I'm comfortable with my band and in the green zone.