Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone lose more than 50lbs in this age group (over 60) ?

Seems as we get older it is much harder to lose. I was wondering if this premise is also true for those who had the sleeve. The reading that I have done seems that the older you are the less you lose. While it appears the younger you are the quicker the weight loss and number of pounds.

Please let me know if you have info on this topic and whether also having a thyroid problem slows everything down

I am not quite 60, but will be 59 shortly. I have lost a total 120 pounds. I lost 42 pounds in the six month lead to my surgery and the rest in the last 5 1/2 months. I have followed the program pretty closely. My activity level has been moderate for the most part. I am able to do cardio, on a recumbent bike or elliptical for 30 minutes, 4 times a week.

I had the sleeve and had a surgical complication which slowed things down in the beginning, but that is long gone. High Blood Pressure and sleep apnea are gone.

I too was worried about being a slow user due to age, but I think that eating per plan, eating low carb and increased activity have helped a lot.

I'm 71 and a little over 4 months out I am down 66 pounds. I've followed doctors orders the whole time and I think that is the key. My excercise program has been pool aerobics 5 days a week.

So because we are older doesn't necessarily mean we can't lose quite a lot of weight.

Had my sleeve at age 59. Lost 105 pounds in first 10 months and maintained. Gained 10 at year 2; lost 10 at year 2.5; lost 5 at year 3. I was a crazy nut about following my bari program (eating and lifestyle change) exactly for the first 2 years. I've relaxed a bit now because I am confident in how I control my choices.

Used to be a power walker (up to 10 miles a day), but had to give that up 'cuz of hip problems. Exercise now is very limited, just walking 30 min/day on soft carpet, and Water aerobics 2-3x/week.

I DO think about the natural weight gain thing because of aging, but so far so good. I have identified that those starchy carbs are my enemy so hopefully staying away from them will keep my weight stable.

I do have those flappy bat wings now that I could do without, but in the "big picture" I'll live with 'em!

I was sleeved in June '13 at age 66 and 284 pounds. A year and 125 pounds later, I am doing well. Lots of wrinkly, loose skin but dressed, I look pretty good for an old chick. Back still kills but hips and knees are great. Happy and grateful that I did this.

I'm 67 and one and 1/2 years out. I have lost 105 pounds and fluctuate a few pounds. I have set a limit and will not let myself go above it!! Wish I could have done this many years ago!!

I am almost 63 have been sleeved 10 months and have lost 115 pounds. I walk and stick to the Protein first rule. Keep my calories 800-1000. It works.

I'm 60, and had my sleeve done 7.5 months ago. I've lost 53 lbs, and have 21 to go to reach my goal weight. I hate exercise, and I've done very little of it - like only when I must do something to break a stall, and then it's only walking.

my surgeon is a man of very few words. But when he speaks, I listened. brief and to the point he said, ' Carbs got you to put the weight on in the first place. Exercise is how you will keep it off.'

Actually, while exercise is good for you on many levels regardless of weight, you don't have to exercise to lose the weight or keep it off, as long as you stick with a very low carb diet. Bring the carbs up and you will have to exercise to combat them. Over 50, many of us find that our tolerance of carbs (in terms of weight gain) becomes worse as time goes on.

53 years old. 10 1/2 months out. Lost 95+ lbs total and 66 lbs post surgery with the sleeve. Been at goal 3 months.

Had to take synthroid for thyroid before surgery, but now I am off of it. Normal thyroid after getting the weight off and changing how I eat for good.

I can't tell you guys what a boost it is to read about your successes!! I have a question though. How long did it take or how much weight did you drop before you really felt like moving. I am so sluggish and achy with my weight and my type II diabetes keeps me so fatigued that when I get home from work I am a complete zombie! I am hopeful that after surgery and a little weight loss my long lost energy will begin to resurface.

I think the only way to start exercising is to start moving -- just a little bit. Then move just a teeny bit more. I honestly believe anyone can do anything if they just do that.

Last spring when I was recliner-bound (yup, could hardly move my ass out of it), I started counting my steps in my head (one, two, three ... thirteen, fourteen ... sixty-one, sixty-two). I literally counted how many steps I was walking each day. Kept a record. I found I was walking less than 1,000 steps a day.

These days, even before being sleeved (happens in a few weeks), I'm now hitting over 5,000 steps daily and sometimes 6,000 and 7,000/day. I've lost over 10 pounds in the last 8 weeks.

I'm now on Day Two of the pre-op diet. I have no doubt I will survive that, too. :)

It doesn't matter at all what you can and cannot do. Just do that today. Then tomorrow do a tiny little bit more. The next day, same thing. And along the way, be kind to yourself and don't hurt yourself.

If you want some inspiration, check out this guy!

I am on week 9 post op and quickly approaching -70. About 6 weeks I stalled for a week. Since then its been a rip tear on fat loss. I was hoping for a bit of a stall for my body to catch up.