Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTION: If U had gastric bypass & U had 2 do all over again verses the SLEEVE would U?

I had my first appt with my surgeon today. I was expecting him to say Gastric Bypass for me as I am 50 and have to lose 100 pounds. I do not have any other health concerns excepts my knees, arthritis and oh yes I am obese.

I have been concerned with the malapsorption of the gastric bypass but also the sleeve with gerd. I am having an EGD to rule out

Hiatal Hernia and from there the surgeon will give me his recommendation on surgery.

QUESTION: If U had gastric bypass & U had 2 do all over again verses the SLEEVE would U

I had rny and regretting i didn't do the duodenal switch. I think i would be losing faster. The sleeve was out of the question since I knew i needed the malabsorption and dumping to keep me on track. I don't really dump...just break out in sweats and feel nauseous some of the time...nothing bad.

I have to make a decision on having the sleeve or the RNY, I keep going back and fourth.

Has anyone already had surgery and could tell what kind and your pros and cons.

Thanks

Pam

I was going to do the sleeve and changed my mind to do RNY. I do not regret it and I am glad I made this decision cause it makes me accountable for what I eat. I read a lot about the sleeve and I felt it's a very new procedure compared to RNY which has a ton of research and results. So I wanted to make sure I have it right the first time and went for the RNY. Plus my surgeon said RNY gets rid of GERD which I have struggled with most of my life with...I would not change a thing with my decision.

I had rny and I wouldn't even consider the sleeve.. Rny has been a tried and true wls. I had the lapband and after 5 years it failed me.. I was done doing "new" wls. I wanted tried and true and I'm so glad I did!

I was SET on the sleeve until my NUT talked me into RNY. I was worried about malabsorption, but with the RNY i have to take 4 Vitamins a day. With the sleeve, its 3. Not a huge difference. I dont dump and can eat any amount of anything. Because of this, im stuck at having lost 70 percent of my excess weight. Even though i haven't reached my goal and may not, im still glad i did it and would do it again!

For me, I wanted to do this one time and one time only. I have a sweet tooth and per my surgeon, gastric bypass would best suit my needs. I honestly believe i need a detergent, such as dumping, to keep me in check. I'm great at losing weight, my issues are portion size and maintaining. Both of which i feel i have a better chance of being successful at with gastric bypass

No regrets whatsoever. I wanted the sleeve but my surgeon would not do it bc of GERD. I am very happy with rny.

I'm not quite 4 months out since having my RNY, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The progress I've made and weight lost so far has been much greater than any of those who I've spoken to who went the VSG route.

I have no regrets. I'm totally good with my bypass. I'm glad I listened to my surgeon.

I had the gastric sleeve done 5 years ago and am now having the RNY revision done on 7/22. I wish I had done the RNY the frst time, but I was terrified of the surgery and thought it might be too drastic. I di lose about 40 pounds, but it crept right back on after 4 major surgeries and now I am back where I started. I am still worried about the RNY but this time I will go through with it. It has to be better than carrying all this weight around, especially with the peripheral neuropathy of my feet.

I am a band to bypass revision and my only regret is that I didn't do the RNY first. I am loving my new tool and the progress I'm making!

I had gastric bypass 4 months ago and would chose it again in a heartbeat. I had GERD, so RNY was my first choice. By the way, the malabsorption created is, along with the restriction of the stomach pouch, what helps you to lose weight. I don't think of malabsorption as a bad thing. I take my Vitamins religiously and get my Protein and fluids in. The way I see it, if I follow the plan, I will get the results I want. So far, so good.

<p>I had gastric bypass 4 months ago and would chose it again in a heartbeat. I had GERD, so RNY was my first choice. By the way, the malabsorption created is, along with the restriction of the stomach pouch, what helps you to lose weight. I don't think of malabsorption as a bad thing. I take my Vitamins religiously and get my Protein and fluids in. The way I see it, if I follow the plan, I will get the results I want. So far, so good. </p>

well said, good advice!!!

<p>I had gastric bypass 4 months ago and would chose it again in a heartbeat. I had GERD, so RNY was my first choice. By the way, the malabsorption created is, along with the restriction of the stomach pouch, what helps you to lose weight. I don't think of malabsorption as a bad thing. I take my Vitamins religiously and get my Protein and fluids in. The way I see it, if I follow the plan, I will get the results I want. So far, so good. </p>

well said, good advice!!!