Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post op & scale isn't decreasing

The weight did not come on in 4 weeks ... you can't expect it to come off in 4 weeks. Stick to your surgeon's instructions and you will loose - I promise !!! We have all been there. Has your surgeon released you for exercise? Once you are out of the healing period and start your new life that is eating healthy and exercising it will all come off but this surgery is a tool to help you lose the weight - surgery alone will not do it, its a combo of diet and exercise :)

Give up on the scale and instead look at your body everyday. Even though my scale isn't moving I can physically see my shape changing daily. Literally daily. My stomach is melting away even though I haven't lost a pound in two weeks... (In a stall currently.)

Give up on the scale. Really.

I agree with all of the above, and I had a three/four week stall too. What may help (since you say you're only mostly drinking your proteins) is to be sure you're eating what the doc's and nut's plan call for. food helps your body move to the next stage of processing I think, and even if not hungry, try to follow that plan if pureed foods are called for. Good luck - we've all been there, really!

Thank you all so much for replying to my post, it had me in a depressed state but since reading all of your stories my spirits have lifted and I'm just going to keep pushing forward. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I was at a stall with 25 lbs lost at 4 week post op. I had my first fill yesterday. I can tell I am going to start losing again. The NSWs during the stall... were lost inches. I can tell it in my clothes. I also am sleeping better and not getting up in the middle of the night to snack. I can tell my joints already feel better. I don't get as exhausted and tired from doing my gardening work. Everyone is correct... it is normal to stall and as a wise one told me... the time between surgery and your first fill is a "healing period" and you shouldn't be worried about losing the weight.. just do what your doctor told you to do and all will be well. Again, I had the same thoughts and feelings you are going through right now.

@2muchfun: Great article. I've seen so many posts about this issue and everyone saying it's "normal" but no one has a real explanation. Super helpful! Thank you!

I cannot get my head around the concept that people keep saying that despite the scale not moving you are still losing inches, am i being particulalry dense?

With weight loss and exercise Sometimes the fat turns to muscle and you may not lose pounds per say. But the weight moves around. Thus one can lose inches rather than pounds

I cannot get my head around the concept that people keep saying that despite the scale not moving you are still losing inches, am i being particulalry dense?

Watch this video, maybe it will explain it so you can understand it? Just be aware that 1 lb of fat is physically larger than 1 lb of muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJziqgrQgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw

Seriously the scale did not move and my clothes got loose. Befuddled me lol but I loved it!

Watch this video, maybe it will explain it so you can understand it? Just be aware that 1 lb of fat is physically larger than 1 lb of muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw

Thanks for is, I do understand the difference between muscle weigh and fat weight, its seems quite an assumption that people are exercising to the extent that this is an answer, my point is more personally specific perhaps. As someone who is doing the same amount of exercise as they did pre-op - I cycle to work and back a round trip of 12 miles - and currently in a stall without loss of inches it isn't really the/an answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJawThanks for is, I do understand the difference between muscle weigh and fat weight, its seems quite an assumption that people are exercising to the extent that this is an answer, my point is more personally specific perhaps. As someone who is doing the same amount of exercise as they did pre-op - I cycle to work and back a round trip of 12 miles - and currently in a stall without loss of inches it isn't really the/an answer.

If you've followed the thread/topic the OP and many others are new to WLS and I believe the comments are mostly directed towards this group. Most WLS patients are fairly new to an exercise routine so they could be adding muscle and still losing fat. The rule may not apply to someone like you?

I see you're about one month out and you've lost 19 lbs? For many of us, it's not really a stall until it's at least a month. Going a week or two with no weight loss happens to many of us.

I am 13wks post op and I have hit 3 stalls thus far, 1st being week 3... be patent with yourselves, your body is simply trying to adjust to what is happening... you will soon look around and the weight will melt away..best wishes

I flat out asked my doctor how it is even POSSIBLE to maintain weight on 800 calories (early post op). The stalls baffled me. He never gave me a great answer, but said it is super normal to stall.

And you do lose inches. The whole thing is nuts, really it is.