Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posting mainly for support as I'm having a rough go of sleeping at the moment :)

First time poster and new to the forum. I was banded yesterday morning and, after about six hours and an immediate loosening of my band, I was sent home. I've followed all procedures as expectations and, as a whole, feel extremely positive about my choice.

However, it's currently 4 a.m. and I am still living on the 'pain and nausea cocktail' every for hours. At what point did your stomach pain and nausea begin to subside?

Any good tips or tricks for sleeping (and staying sleep) while I heal?

I lost ten pounds in the two week pre-op appointment and I'm excited to see what the next free days, weeks, and months hold for me.

JL

Posting mainly for support as I'm having a rough go of sleeping at the moment :) First time poster and new to the forum. I was banded yesterday morning and, after about six hours and an immediate loosening of my band, I was sent home. I've followed all procedures as expectations and, as a whole, feel extremely positive about my choice. However, it's currently 4 a.m. and I am still living on the 'pain and nausea cocktail' every for hours. At what point did your stomach pain and nausea begin to subside? Any good tips or tricks for sleeping (and staying sleep) while I heal? I lost ten pounds in the two week pre-op appointment and I'm excited to see what the next free days, weeks, and months hold for me. JL

Welcome to your New Life!!

You just had surgery. Your body needs to heal. I believe I didn't take the pain meds because I was afraid of getting constipated, that was me. If you need them, take them. After the second or third day, each day seemed to slowly get better. After, the first week I felt good, and even better after the second week. For nausea, chicken broth helped.

As for sleep tricks, I slept in a lounge chair occasionally. As I felt better, I didn't need it as much.

Take it easy.

Congrats!!! :)

SF Popsicles and Motts for Totts apple juice are what helped calm my stomach. I sat in a reclined chair as well for the first three days. I did not sleep for long periods during this time. I napped here and there for a little bit at a time, so it was good being in the living room with the TV. Use heating pad and ice packs for the pain. I started feeling a little better after day 3 and most of the worse gas pains were gone by day 5. I was tired for about two weeks as my body healed. After that my energy came back. Good luck and hope you feel better soon

I'm with Shazam on the pain meds. Pain meds shut down my digestive system and everything just stays in my stomach. I had little pain so it was never an issue anyway.

Welcome and congrats on being on the band side.

Hi there and congratulations -- hope you got some sleep and are feeling a little better. There's nothing like sleep for the body to heal! I had a patch for nausea in the hospital and like Shazam and 2muchfun I didn't take the pain meds due to potential side effects (constipation, grogginess, etc.). Try to get up and walk as frequently as you can. As I write this I'm recalling the log roll off of this very sofa and how tricky it was to get up. Keep your sense of humor and know this will pass quickly and you'll be feeling that return to self. I loved my Popsicles during this time, also warm tea, salty broth. Sending very best wishes your way......

Thanks for the support! I've set up the chair in my living room and have been catching a few hours of sleep which is nice. I am also trying to walk and move around every two hours or so to feel a little bit of normalcy.

I'm hoping that day three is the best so far :)

JB