Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PTO, vacation or leave?

I'm going to my last appointment before insurance approval paperwork is submitted. I am planning to have the lapband in July. I have two weeks of vacation and some sick days, should I request sick days or vacation or ask for a leave? My company does not know I am doing this, although my insurance covers the procedure. I work from home so I don't see my co-workers or my boss very often. I don't really want to rock the boat by announcing I'm having WLS. I have a feeling they will talk about it and may even decide to let me go (this is a fear I always kinda have, not necessarily substantiated! Lol)

What did you guys do? Or what would you suggest I do? By the way, I am relatively healthy, no comorbidities, but I realize there are risks and complications that can occur. My BMI is 41 and I am 38.

Hi there and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.. I think it really depends on your company policies as to what action you take. My company only offers 5 sick days per year and anything beyond that needed is to be short term disability or vacation. What do you do for work? I sit at a desk all day and bang away on a keyboard. I took a week long vacation but really I could have worked by day 3 post op from home. Physical pain was not bad at all but my energy level was really lacking so I just took the full week off and took my time.

Good Luck!

I didn't want to announce having WLS either. I scheduled my surgery around a holiday and only took 4 sick days.

You couldcertainly use the sick days if you have them before dipping into vacation. My company, they're all the same anyway -- we just get PTO (paid time off) for whatever reason. If you burn through all of that and need more time off, you can go to short term disability if it's for illness.

I'm taking 1 week off and then working from home as much as I need the second week. I regularly work from home 2 days a week so that's not so unusual. My boss knows it's for surgery but I haven't told HR that because I don't want to have to deal with getting a letter from the surgeon letting me go back to work. If HR doesn't know it's for surgery, they can't make me get the return to work letter.

You work from home anyway right? So no one is going to see you or know if you are home in your PJ's working or not...So why take any time off?

I mean take the day of surgery off and the the day after if you spend the night in the hospital and then go back to "work" :) If you can make it a Thursday Friday into Sat-Sunday even better.

You can tell work anything you want, you could be going sailing for a long weekend or any other story you want to give them, such is the beauty of working from home.

You can also check into FMLA(Family Medical Leave). This usually takes your sick leave or vacation time but you don't have to tell anyone anything. Check it out. Welcome to WLS.

I would second the idea about requesting FMLA coverage.

If you're a covered employee, and you work for a company that is required to provide it, I believe it's by far your best option to request it. You can use your companies normal sick leave policy requirements and use your paid sick time, or any other paid time off. By getting the surgery covered under FMLA, any future issues (related to the surgery, including doctor followups, fills, etc.) that could possibly arrive will be covered under the FMLA. Your surgeons office should be well schooled in filling out any necessary paperwork required by your employer and if you don't want them to know the specific procedure you're having done, let the person filling out the forms know that.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery! Congrats!

Edited by catfish87

You are entitled to your privacy -- and leave time for a surgery is common. No one needs to know what it's for, but why use up your vacation time.....just a thought. Best wishes to you -- I am so happy with my band and can't even really recall my surgery six+ months ago. Keep in mind you'll need time for your upcoming followup visits, though those are pretty short and could be lunch break-ish.

I used FMLA coverage for my time. I work for a company that allows 10 consecutive work days as sick leave. If you need longer it is short term disability. I covered my sick days with the FMLA policy. But, like others have said, if you work from home, no one needs to know anything. I could have worked from home by day 3. Do what makes you the happiest. It's important that you spend those days healing, not worrying about work. Good luck and welcome to the family!!

I had my surgery on Thursday and back to work on Monday. I took 2 pto days and requested 3 just in case. I have a desk job:) Good luck and congrats!!