Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How/Why did you choose Lap Band?

I go to my seminar today. My biggest self-ask question is what if I just did the pre-op and post-op diet plan, wouldn't it create the same results as the lap band? But then, I have been stuck on this plateau for over a year now so is it the surgical process that will shock my system into losing again? Or, have I been dishonest with myself about my diet for the past yr? I don't think so, it has been a miracle that I have lost and kept off 156 lbs with the glycemic index eating plan to prevent diabetes II. I just confused and a bit scared. I will see what they say today at the DeKalb Medical Center....trying to be close mouthed and open minded.

Well I went to the seminar and got more information. It seems as though I may not have the time I need to do the proper follow up for the lap band in the time frame I have. I also found out that the change in atmospheric pressure while flying in the plane back to New Zealand may impact the band itself. Possibilities of it tightening to where I would be very uncomfortable and possibly unable to eat or drink. New Zealand has very little accessibilty thru the public health system for this proceedure which is another consideration. I scheduled to meet with my surgeon to address all these issues and listen to his information and consider th sleeve. I was told the sleeve may be a better option for me. So I will continue to leave the window open to opportunity but still am uncertain what will happen. My next appointment is on the 16th. so we will see.

I am just starting this process, with my visit to the dietician next Friday 6/13/14. While at church on Sunday, I was talking to a friend who had bypass 4 years ago. I was telling her that I had decided to go with the Lap Band. She immediately began telling me that it was a bad choice. She was telling me that I was too big and that I wouldn't loose enough weight. I tried explaining to her that I wasn't looking for the quick fix. I am looking for a lifestyle change. She continued telling me about people she knew and their horror stories. I had to take some time to really think about what she said. Then I thought, to ask you all! Please help!!

I love my band. Next month will be 2 years. I chose the band because I still have my insides. Nothing is stapled or removed. I know if around 6 people who did by pass and after 5-10 years they are just as big as before. Look at Carnie Wilson. She failed and now has the band on top of by pass. Your body Do what you want not what others tell you to.

God luck with your new journey.

Arlene

I choose the lap band because it is not permanent. Also, loosing 1-2 pounds is more realistic for losing weight.

I also know individuals who have had bypass, sleeve, and band. Most have gained weight back - because they did not change or learn new eating habits. Any type of WLS is a tool to get there. And yes with the sleeve or bypass you loose extremely fast, but it seems to me, it's too fast. You need time to adjust your eating habits. It seems to me, no one goes from eating terribly to healthy overnight. These are learned new habits. Choosing fish over beef. Choosing a salad instead of Cookies. Eating less carbs.

Also, you need to exercise, everyday. See, at least it seems to me, many individuals think any type if WLS is a presto magic thing, and you don't need to change your eating/drinking habits. Or heck, even. Exercise. There are so many who think having the surgery, and sit back, change nothing, and they will be thin. Sadly, that is not true.

Doctors inform you what you can and cannot eat or drink. Yet, many make excuses, or dabble where they shouldn't. Then they are complaining, or should I say, questioning why they are gaining weight from drinking milkshakes, any drink ending in -chino, or eating things they shouldn't. The habits you learn when you begin your journey with, are habits which are to be life long. Period.

For me, personally, I no longer drink caffeine, carbonated, diet anything. Simply for the reason it's just not good for you. What do I drink. Water and Protein shakes. That's it. I attempted to drink a diet tea, and it was horrible. I guess being away from it for so long, I realized how nasty that stuff is.

And so you know, i am not saying all of this because I'm perfect with my habits. I can proudly say, I've not regained any weight. I have my demons, but I also know what I can and cannot do. I hope this helps.

Edited by Shazam

I went with the lap-band for the same reason as many others here, I still have my insides. I wanted something that can be reversed if needed, but I absolutely love it. There are two women that work right next door to my that had the bypass done. Yes they have lost a lot of weight, but they do not look healthy or happy. I did research before I picked the lap-band and I talked with my doctor as well.

You are going to have the people tell you what you should do, but you need to choose what you want. All WLS are high risk, I just picked the one I felt was less risky. Good luck with whatever road you travel. As long as you give 100% you will have great outcomes.

For me the thing that led me to lapband rather than the others was less risk involved.

My primary care doctor wanted me to get the bypass because I had to lose at least 100 lbs. and she said I'd never be able to reach that goal with the lapband. I wanted the least invasive type of procedure so I went ahead with the lapband in January of 2013 even though it wasn't what my doctor wanted me to do.

When I saw this same doctor back in March, I got on the scale as I do every visit and she quietly told me that I was now five pounds less than she was. At least she was 'man' enough to admit she was wrong.

Do your homework, read and investigate all surgeries, but know that if the band is what you want, find a surgeon who will support you and go for it.

Good luck!

I chose it because 4 people in my family have had success with it, they all got the band about 10 years ago and lost AND KEPT OFF the weight. Whenever they gain a little bit, they go right back and get a fill. I chose it because I know I can lose weight, but I know that it always creeps back. With the lapband, I can always get adjusted and will never be morbidly obese again.

I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but I truly believe that it will work for me.

I recently chose the lap band, my surgery is set up for June 20, 2014. The reason I chose it over the others is because of the risk involved from the surgery. If nothing else, it seems like the safest way to start and hopefully be the help I need.