Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do instead of "Going out to dinner"?

In the process of changing my life, preparing for WLS, I have tried to find things for my husband and I to do on Date Night besides "Going out to dinner". The kids want to go to lunch and a movie, and even my mom and I... our Saturday outing is going out to lunch.

So what do you do? What is there to do besides go out to eat, with friends, family, lovers? What else is there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jennifer

P.S.

Feel free to friend me, we need all the support we can get.

I have the same question. Eating is such a routine social activity.

Feed ducks.
Have a picnic, with food you pack yourself that you can eat!
Have a movie night at home

Just go for a coffee to sit and talk, then go for a walk afterwards?

Watch the planes and star gaze?

Se sometimes go to a gallery or museum, enjoy a play or movie, and then healthy food or just coffee. On our anniversary we went to a restaurant for a light meal, but then a long walk and took on a big stair-climb challenge to the top of a hill we'd wondered about. My sister and I used to do dinner and drinks together, now we meet at a local antique mall and wander through together talking about fun things we both love and see there - and seldom feel like we have to buy it, having had fun seeing it together. My husband and I also take a bike ride someplace pretty from time to time - planning it as we once did eating out. Oh, and the other night we walked to our library and hung out, then walked home talking about what we'd checked out. And hey - don't forget a date to work out at the gym together, and enjoy hot tub or sauna.

go hiking (better as a date afternoon than a date night!), go to a play or concert but eat dinner at home first, go to a local museum, art gallery, or festival; if you live in a big city -- go do a touristy thing that you have never gotten around to, like a city tour, local historical landmark, etc.

walk in a park, shopping, movies, go to nice bar or outside cafe for a drink (or two) or got to a movie, walk the mall, go fishing, go go-karting, swimming or the library or whatever you want.....eating is not a bad thing...nothing wrong with it..its something we all do....so eat smart and make the best choices you can when you go out..one (not so great or a bad meal) wont make you gain 100 pounds overnight nor will eating only lettuce and a side of olive oil make you lost 20 pounds overnight...its day in and day out..dont overthink it...be with your whomever on date night or family night and enjoy (that).....being with the one you love........including yourself.....

It's fun to go out now and just have an appetizer....and to really take time enjoying it all rather than bolting down apps then an entree, overdoing and regretting. It's great being a dainty diner-outer.

Exploring is fun -- taking an unknown street or road and just seeing new scenery, discovering other places. We live in a rural area and there are a lot of amazing ponds, etc. I always think date night must be so much easier in the city -- so much to see and do -- but the country is very beautiful and I'm always surprised by the changing landscape.

I am 1 year post-op and I do go out to eat dinner. I will either eat a smaller portion or if I order a standard (large portion), I get a take home box and bring the leftovers home with me for 2 days of additional meals. Some people feel others will monitor what you are eating and that you are put under a spotlight but that is not the case. When you eat out with others, they will be too busy looking at their food not yours.

Eating out is a social experience. When you eat smaller portions, it really gives you more time to be social.

take a walk in the woods, go to a movie, work out together, go to a library or bookstore, visit a local museum or art gallery. google "date night ideas."

i am really trying to get away from the food = socializing idea. for my birthday i invited my girls to a yoga class and then we all used the hot tub and sauna at the local JCC. then we had tea and coffee and hung out and talked. it was great and normally we all would have gone out for dinner, sat on our asses for 3 hours and eaten way to much food and consumed too much alcohol and spent far too much money.

Just had my first run in with this yesterday. I ended up having iced tea. Its not so fun watching others enjoy a pizza, but I had some fun trying to get them to over eat and feel guilty about it.:) Damn Im a stinker.

We still go out to dinner...but I order "smart" now...no carbs... and take home leftovers for lunch-which I bring everyday... nothing wrong with going out to eat...but it's the company not the food that should be the focus.

I love all these ideas above as well... my husband is the shopper ... not me...but we will go to flea markets (I do LOVE a bargain) and things like that... I don't know why, but he has an adversion to garage sales :( ... but he works on Saturdays, so I usually do that on my own, if I'm in the mood...now that I can walk and function like a human being again... these simple pleasures can be enjoyed again!

I love the idea of doing "tourist-y" things... I haven't lived here that long, so there are many sights that I have yet to see... we have done them, on occasion, but when family/friends come to visit, I LOVE seeing the "sights"... I may plan our next date around that idea... thanks for that ....

Can't wait to hear other ideas from y'all!!!

Go for a walk, go for a bike ride. Get a mani-pedi together (my bf absolutely loves mani-pedis...in fact, he introduced me to them) Any museums near you? That's a fun date :D

Now that it's summer there are lots of things you can do for fun.

Go to the lake, the park, go swimming, if there's an amusement park this is always a treat for the kids, go shopping with your mom, go to the drive-in movies with your hubby or go for a scenic drive and listen to reto country saturday night:-) (that's my fav), but you also don't have to cut out eating out all together! Anymore you can find something at almost any restaurant you go to that fits in your new lifestyle. If you don't see something on the menu that suits what you want find something close and then ask them to customize it to your liking (I'm the queen of that:-)).

An old fashioned picnic date even with the kids would be fun in a park. Take the blanket, and whatever food you can eat. Once you can eat a little better, roll up turkey and cheese with mustard condiment, have a little salad or fruit, and your kids would eat this too.I really love eating out and enjoy a small salad, or Soup for a nice brunch lunch, or quiche. My husband and I can split a hamburger without the bun, or any other healthy food, sharing it as we were both sleeved. You can share with one of the kids. Rent a camper and go to a lake for the weekend. Enjoy that outdoors with your children while you can!

I get great ideas on my phone through Amazon Local.