Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conference food?

Just wondering how you deal with conference/meeting food? Since post-op, I've tried bringing my own food and under "special diet requests" requested gluten free. GF doesn't quite fit, though. What do you request?

-Molly

Honestly you may run into this more than once so I would not use the "sickly feeling" line. I would make sure I had a shake or food prior to the meeting, and say I am on a healthy eating plan with a NUT if anyone questions you. You might find something you can eat, but if not, have a nice glass of refreshing Water with lemon and enjoy yourself!

GF should hopefully get you mostly there. Maybe if you like fish state you're pescaterian. My work tends to 'cater' sandwiches. I can't do deli meats so I bring my food. To be safe, if suggest the shakes as the other person else commented.

When I'm in those situations, I try to pick foods that are mostly Protein. Say they have Breakfast Cloches, I tear off almost all the bread and leave just enough to protect my fingers. Same thing with sandwiches or breakfast burritos. I leave just enough bread to hold things together. If there's no other option than to eat junk, then I eat just a few bites, enough to keep me satisfied, but not full. And I drink lots of coffee or Crystal Light, both tend to fill me up.

I have con fence coming up next month too, I normally just go for Protein only, if anyone asks, which they don't normally, I just say allergy problems in scrunch up my face lol. Works all the time, no more questions asked :)

Being prepared with your own "MRE" 'medically required exception' survival food packet is most helpful should the worst combination occur. I packed along my own kit for much of the first 6 or 8 months, including a jar or 2 of Gerbers just in case.

It's great practice to retain control of KNOWING what you can/should/WILL eat at such events.

Sometimes I took along some form of fruit or a mysterious mix of my own little tupperware container.

Really had very few bother to quiz me. And almost always there's Soup or salad that fits.

Often traveling I would take a waitress aside and quietly explain I was in postOp recovery and needed something special....poached egg, sometimes a little corned beef hash, they always were willing to help if you spoke quietly and off to the side....at the restaurant.

At dreary conference group meals I lucked out in that most were either buffet style or pick from a menu.

Stick to what you know is right for your phase, it does pay off.

Cheers on your journey.

I went to a conference in early May. I packed my hand blender, 16 ounce cup and took them with me. I also packed Protein powder and purchased skim milk in the gift shop of my hotel. I was able to have a Protein shake each morning. I also brought almonds, Jerky and Protein Bars for snack time. Other meals were easy as there was a buffet and I could make the choices I wanted. There is always Protein or salad and vegetables at a lunch buffet.

For dinner we usually went to a restaurant. Once again there was always a choice I could make. Most restaurants are more than happy to accommodate your special requests. I was also able to get up early and use the gym. It actually was easier than I thought it would be.

I've found if you call ahead to whoever is doing the catering you can find out what they will be serving. I always bring a Protein shake with me in case I can't eat anything. There is actually a picture of me the day I started the pre-op diet that also happened to be a friend's wedding, sucking down a Protein Shake in an evening gown and feathered fascinator! lol

That being said, most places serve vegetables of some sort with their dishes or fruit in the morning. But in all honesty, at 7 months out I think if you just ate what they serve in moderate portions you should be OK. :)

I am pre-op, but have been picky for years, and dieting for six months. And it's amazing how pot lucks and conferences are filled with junk. It's easy for me to find something I can and should eat. What's hard is resisting all that bad stuff. lol. But I have been honest with my people about what I am looking for, usually simply "something healthy" and most of the time they remember. And of course, I always keep a backup shake, just in case.

I usually have Protein bars and drinks with me just in case. My dilemma is when there really isn't a choice or is not edible. You've given me some great ideas. Thanks!

Molly

Just got back from a conference at the InterContinental O'Hare this weekend. The Desserts were decadent and plentiful, but there were always good meat/seafood and veggie choices for me. The only bad day was today, when they served pre-made sandwiches as we left, and they were already bagged up with chips and a chocolate chip cookie and potato salad and an apple. I took two different sandwich bags, and took out all the stuff I don't eat (chips, cookie, salad), and left them on the table for the men who always want more of somthing. Then I ate the roasted veggies off one sandwich and the ham & cheese off another sandwich, and tossed the bread away. But yes, I also carried my own RTD shakes with me, along with some dark chocolate roasted almonds and some laughing cow and Fiber selects crackers. Just in case!

Just back from another out of town meeting. I'm glad I brought some Protein bars along because the gluten free was interpreted as vegan for the plated meals. I'm going to be more specific in any special requests in the future rather than trying to use a more conventional special request. Next time I'll request high Protein, low carb, low fat and no sugar.

Molly

This happens to me often. I always pack my own food when I travel for work. I make sure my hotel room had a fridge.

For conferences I always eat before. Also sometimes I'll bring a Protein shake in a coffee travel mug, no one asks what I'm drinking and I can sip on it whenever I want. It stays cold. Also, walk around and converse with people. There seems to always be a group of people who are standing around not eating. Stay busy. If they have healthy options, I stick to Proteins and pick at it if I feel like eating