Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most people get lit up about this on bari-boards and I understand it doesn't make much sense but I feel like a lot of us struggle with this. I had my lap band put in last Wednesday, May 28th. I did sugerbusters/liver shrinking/ every other diet possible prior to surgery and of course I have been on Clear liquids post-op. I'm only 5 days in and I am constantly thinking, "I bet just one bite of that wouldn't be that big of a deal". I ate some pizza toppings the other night off of my son's leftovers (desperate enough) and tonight I ate a little piece of bbq pork that was hanging on to the side of the container.

I am so new to this and I am already getting off the path. Drinking chicken/veggie broth, G2, Isopure, no sugar added grape juice, etc...is more difficult then I imagined. Mainly because I think having this surgery brings up some emotional stuff and I am an emotional eater so I am without respite! Also, I keep reading tons of stuff online about how HORRIBLE the lap band is and how many complication and blah blah..bunch of negative stuff and it stays in the back of my mind like maybe I will be one of those who the band doesn't help.

I cannot screw this up for myself. I am in a wheelchair because of a horrible car accident and if I have any chance of walking again, I must lose weight. Why do some of us do this? It doesn't feel like sabotage in the moment, it feels like a treat, a taste of normal. In the end we have to call it like we see it, sabotage.

I disagree. I did the same exact thing you have done when I had my surgery over three years ago. I didn't make a habit of it but I couldn't resist heck we're human. Just stick to your plan and you'll be fine. Congratulstions on being banded.

Most people get lit up about this on bari-boards and I understand it doesn't make much sense but I feel like a lot of us struggle with this. I had my lap band put in last Wednesday, May 28th. I did sugerbusters/liver shrinking/ every other diet possible prior to surgery and of course I have been on clear liquids post-op. I'm only 5 days in and I am constantly thinking, "I bet just one bite of that wouldn't be that big of a deal". I ate some pizza toppings the other night off of my son's leftovers (desperate enough) and tonight I ate a little piece of bbq pork that was hanging on to the side of the container. I am so new to this and I am already getting off the path. Drinking chicken/veggie broth, G2, Isopure, no sugar added grape juice, etc...is more difficult then I imagined. Mainly because I think having this surgery brings up some emotional stuff and I am an emotional eater so I am without respite! Also, I keep reading tons of stuff online about how HORRIBLE the lap band is and how many complication and blah blah..bunch of negative stuff and it stays in the back of my mind like maybe I will be one of those who the band doesn't help. I cannot screw this up for myself. I am in a wheelchair because of a horrible car accident and if I have any chance of walking again, I must lose weight. Why do some of us do this? It doesn't feel like sabotage in the moment, it feels like a treat, a taste of normal. In the end we have to call it like we see it, sabotage.

First congratulations on your new journey. Now STOP eating !!!! Your stomach had major surgery , it is swollen and healing. Follow your doctors rules and his rules only. You can do this and you have to.

I love my band. Next month is 2 years for me. I never ever did before or after eating that was not on my list. I was afraid of what could or would happen.

Just remember you didn't gain over night and you won't lose over night. Be patient.

You can do this.

Arlene

Wowsers ! Im not sure what to start with ! Well, for starters, welcome to the other side ! I was banded Dec, 2011 and have had nothing but positive results. The band literaly gave me back my old life of being healthy, happy and close to a normal weight. You might want to see a Nutritionish ASAP ! He/she will help you deal with your emotional eating. As far as liquids, try different flavors, brands etc to see what appeals to you and makes you happy and full. (I admit I cheated once on the liquid phase too, a small spoonful of tuna with mayo. Yum!)

The whole point of Clear Liquids is to give your stomach time to heal. Your stomach when it has food in it has to work, move, push the food down. The only thing I can tell you is stay out of the kitchen when everyone else is eating until you can do it without taking from their plate. It's not about depriving you its about giving your stomach time to heal. A little here and a little there will end up right back in the same old habits. Just stop doing it.

you mentioned that all you hear is all the bad stuff that happens with the lap band. every wls has their own personal complications. one of the best things over all surgeries is that pretty soon you will start getting fills. with each and every fill you will feel a bit more restricted. you are forced to start eating smaller, longer and less. and than you reach a place with your band where it works to restrict your intake and allows you to feel satisfied longer without putting more in your mouth. no other surgery has this wonderful attribute. adjustable to each and every one of us so we can have optimal weight loss without becoming malnourished. you are just starting. but this is a learning time for you. if you don't learn how to use your band you will have many upsets. start now Protein first, vegetables second carbs last. eat less than a cup at a mealtime. a lot of bandsters can only eat 1/2 cup at mealtimes. eat slowly and chew thoroughly. and get used to the liquid phase of your diet. with every fill you will be asked to go on liquids. it is just part of getting to the green zone. good luck

you wanted this surgery, so do what you have to make it work..

you just have major surgery sweetheart.....taking that one bite could harm your insides

one moments food gasm is not worth any injury

you went through alot to have this WLS

you wanted to lose weight and get healthy

WLS is not a cure alln and believe it or not, its not easy..

you have to make an effort to eat better, exercise and live life

first off, any WLS can and does have a chance of complications but doesnt mean you will

second and finally not least, you are mentally stronger than you know..you think you cant do this

and if you keep thinking that, you will not ever lose weight...i could hardly walk at time of my surgery

because i was super morbid obese....i could hardly wipe my ass...so i been there and done that

enough pity party.....woman up (as my ole man told me once on a pre op day whining) and make

yourself well.......your doctor gave you a excellent tool to help you....follow their instructions for

best results

ps, i spent the first 10 or 11 months w/no exercise and just eating as advised and lost a lot...hint hint]

pps YOU can DO this......yes you CAN

and if i didnt think you could i would not have answered this post..

CG

I am an emotional eater too...I find I need to get away from whats causing the emotions... go for a walk work on a hobby and if its past stuff leave it in the past move forward you can do this!!!!

Thank you all for helping me through my first official FREAK OUT! I had a moment last night, as you can tell, and I just needed to walk away (metaphorically). I went to my first post-op today. My port and band are just where they should be and I'm coming right along. The people on this forum and intelligent, warm people and your words are just what I needed to hear last night. I may read them again a few dozen times. :-)

How do I do a ticker thing?