Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much could you eat 2 weeks post op?

I finally got the go ahead to eat Beans. I chewed them very, very well and I was able to eat the entire can of black beans. That makes me a little nervous and I'm wondering if that's normal.

I finally got the go ahead to eat Beans. I chewed them very, very well and I was able to eat the entire can of black beans. That makes me a little nervous and I'm wondering if that's normal.

Like a regular sized can? Not sure of the ounces there but you shouldn't be able to eat more than 2-3 ounces of soft food at a time. That sounds like a lot. At 11 weeks post op, I can only do 2.5 ounces of meat/chicken/shrimp/fish. I would weigh and measure everything and stick to your surgeons instructions. Did you have pain? How long did it take you to do that?

I was on liquids for 18 days, but once I was on puréed, I could only eat 2 tbls of yogurt or cottage cheese or refried Beans, etc. once or twice/day. I'm at 5 months out now and I couldn't eat a whole can of beans....even a 1/2 can would stuff me.

I would talk to your surgeon to find out how much you should be eating at each meal, because this seems like an awful lot to me.

Edited by Kindle

No pain and I guess it took me about 20 minutes. I chewed the Beans to mush before swallowing but I ate the whole can which is 1 and 1/2 cups. Up to this point I've been eating Soup.< /p>

I was still on liquids.

Wow yeah I am six months out and couldn't eat a whole can of Beans.

Course the mantra on here is "just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD."

What was your plan when you set out to eat those Beans? To just eat as much as you could? Probably should have a better plan in place and then measure and eat according to that plan (which should have been given to you by your doctor).

Ive read in some threads that there maybe numbness in the stomach so that you're not aware of the stretch (in the early days). I have always felt restriction so I'm not sure how true that is. That's one of the reasons to measure everything in the early days. I still measure and weigh although I'm pretty accurate in eyeballing now that I measure so frequently. That is a lot of anything for 2 weeks. You have to have some kind of food plan from doctor I would think. Go back and check where you're suppose to be. For your safety and for future success, you want to be sticking to the program. I would have been in agony after a cup of anything.

I wasn't told to measure anything. I hope I haven't hurt myself. I feel like I've been starving on Soup and liquids.

Hi TonyaNKY,

You should measure out 2 oz portions of your food. I would email or call your doctor's office for more specifics. I'm still on Clear Liquids at this point.

This might help: I went on Amazon and purchased a pack of 2 oz containers (presumably for baby food). I plan on portioning my food into those and eating with small spoon/fork until I train my brain to eat less on a bigger plate.

Good luck :)

I bought ramikiens to use for Portion Control and some 4ounce food storage cups with lids - all at Amazon. I use them all the time. I know I've eaten 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, etc. I use my food scale all the time to weigh meat, shrimp, etc. it was a good investment.

I will do that from now on. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I guess I wasn't. I hope I haven't done any damage. :-(

Most likely you haven't that one time. Good luck and be well!

You're probably just fine. Live and learn! We all do, especially in the early days when there is so much to figure out. It can be overwhelming. :)

Were you drinking while you were eating? Fluids help the food slide down easier!