Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weaning off my morning coffee

With all the pre-op testing and pending surgery, I thought it wise to begin weaning myself off my morning coffee. I'm not a major coffee drinker, but I must have my giant cup every morning before my brain wakes up. If I don't, the headache kicks in brutally.

I wonder if it is worth the effort. I dream of a coffee-free life, where I do not have to drag my 'dosage' with me when I travel. I am always ashamed that I run to have my fix in the morning when the birds are not singing yet.

Anyone else ALSO go through that process in preparing for surgery?

I haven't even seen the surgeon yet but I've started making changes. Dropped the iced coffee with caramel...next the morning coffee....

With all the pre-op testing and pending surgery, I thought it wise to begin weaning myself off my morning coffee. I'm not a major coffee drinker, but I must have my giant cup every morning before my brain wakes up. If I don't, the headache kicks in brutally.

I wonder if it is worth the effort. I dream of a coffee-free life, where I do not have to drag my 'dosage' with me when I travel. I am always ashamed that I run to have my fix in the morning when the birds are not singing yet.

I prepared myself by buying a Decaf can and using 1/2 regular half decaf eventually just switching to a decaf tea. I started about a month before surgery. I went about two months after surgery without going back to drinking coffee but I got a Keurig for Mother's Day and I started but limit myself to one cup in am and maybe one at night on weekends.

I just started the liquid diet... and gave up my little cup of coffee... and have had a headache since about 9am

coffee was definitely the hardest for me!! I was a Starbucks junkie!! I went cold turkey the day after my first consult. My surgery was in December, and I've only in the last couple of weeks started back on Decaf. Picture this: "Can I have an iced grande decaf, nonfat, sugar-free vanilla latte please?" Oy vey. So, yah, cold turkey...i did have wicked headaches for a week, but that soon stopped. I found that I drank more Water when I dropped the coffee, and even now I still have to watch decaf since (1) it still has some caffeine and (2) I still drink less water when I have coffee (or, as I like to call it "$5 colored water in a trendy cup."

I just started the liquid diet... and gave up my little cup of coffee... and have had a headache since about 9am

Jennifer... Good for you!! Drink lots of Water to help flush your system. Caffeine withdrawal is real, but after a couple of days, I promise you'll feel better!

Thank you. Only good thing about the headache... the pain is distracting me from wanting to eat. lol

Thank you. Only good thing about the headache... the pain is distracting me from wanting to eat. lol

Ah, so there's a benefit! Just take a day at a time, lots of fluids, avoid those foods that cause Migraines and could make it worse (Google "migraine trigger foods" if you need). I find that exercise helps too - fresh air and all that. After three days, the headaches lightened up, and after a week I was fine. Good luck!

I broke down and had a cup of decaffinated tea. It fight make it go away... But I think there was enough caffeine to war it just a bit. Well.... Time for sleep. Thank you everyone, for your support and encouragement.

I use instant coffee, so I have been making that heaping pile of granules be smaller and smaller. After a week, I am finally down to half. I am excited about finally ridding myself of this addiction and find independence.

Good for you! coffee it's a sneaky addiction. You think your just having coffee.... But in just a short time your body requires it. Ugh.

Ah, so there's a benefit! Just take a day at a time, lots of fluids, avoid those foods that cause Migraines and could make it worse (Google "migraine trigger foods" if you need). I find that exercise helps too - fresh air and all that. After three days, the headaches lightened up, and after a week I was fine. Good luck!

Re Migrain triggers... I used to get migraines 3 to 4 times a week. I got the book, Heal Your Headache, and when I was being good, reduced them to 1 to 2 a month. Then I slipped back into old habbits. Some of my favorite foods are triggers. :-( and if I were good at denying myself I wouldn't be on a WLS site. Lol