Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you lose in the first few months?

I know everyone is different, and I have an idea of what I can expect to lose overall, but I'm curious what the first 1-3 months of weight loss might look like. I'm having RNY on Thursday. How much did you lose in the first few months? TIA!

I lost about 60 pounds in the first 3 months. I had lost 40 pounds in the three months prior to surgery, so at the three month mark, I had lost close to 100 pounds total. I am currently just past 11 months, I have lost a total of 193 pounds. Believe me, life has never been so good!

3 mos = 60 lbs and 35 inches for me

I lost 41lbs in 3 months

Wow you guys rock I am only 2 week out and i have lost 26 pounds now i am looking to see those numbers and have something to look forward to thanks for sharing.

I'm just at around 3 months now and I've lost 54 lbs - all post-op. Be aware that those numbers vary from person to person and please don't set your goals too high - that's just asking for a disappointment. Some people have lost more than me and I also stalled for 10 days although I was still eating correctly - but I'm so happy - I've lost an average of 4 lbs a week since surgery and I never did that before in my life! Good luck.

Edited by JanetteH

Absolutely!! I'm at about 211 lbs now, lost about 7 lbs pre-op (again, date is on 6/5 so I'm not post op either) so I'm anticipating losing at a slower rate. But I hear about what to expect overall, and I'm curious if I might drop a lot in the first few months then slow down. If I lose 90 lbs in a year, that's 7.5 lbs per month on average. But will I lose a lot in the beginning and slow down after a while.. I have no idea what to expect in those terms!

I should mention I'm very short, so 90 lbs from 211 isn't unreasonable for me.

Hi Sylvielicious

I believe from listening to other people here that we should expect to lose a lot of weight in the first 6 months and then slow down. I've heard them talk about the 6 month "honeymoon" when we're not that hungry. Sounds like the hunger feeling comes back after that. I'm trying to stick to 1 cup of food at each meal so I don't stretch my pouch out too much. Some people start to eat so much of the wrong foods after a year that they actually gain weight back !

Janette

My doctor set goals for me as he says the most wt comes off in the first 8 months

Thanks! That helps a lot. :)

My surgeon said people average 3-5 lbs per week. It was true for me. It slows as you get closer to your goal weight.

I'm 3 months out and 60lbs down as of today.