Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing how I consume my protein

So I've noticed there's been a few comments about how we can only absorb 20 grams of Protein at a time and the rest is just wasted. I never really looked into that until now. A quick google search revealed we actually absorb even less than that....

"Protein Absorption Rate in Humans

July 6, 2007

According to this study, A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans,written by Shane Bilsborough and Neil Mann, it states…

Absorption rates of amino acids from the gut can vary from 1.4 g/h for raw egg white to 8 to 10 g/h for whey protein isolate. Slowly absorbed amino acids suchas casein (~ 6 g/h) and repeated small doses of whey protein (2.9 g per 20 min, totaling ~ 7 g/h) promote leucine balance, a marker of protein balance, superior tothat of a single dose of 30 g of whey protein or free amino acids which are both rapidly absorbed (8 to 10 g/h), and enhance amino acid oxidation.

Quite interesting. It drives home the point that eating smaller portioned meals of less than 15-10 grams of protein is optimal. It also tells us that ingesting 40 grams of protein whey for post-workout drink is not only a waste of money as it gets excreted or is converted into carbs and then stored as body fat, among other things."

...there's a bunch more papers and articles that pretty much repeat these same stats.

So up until now I thought I was doing pretty good on my protein goals because I always have 1 mega Protein shake (40g protein 24-32oz fluid) every morning, usually taking 1-2 hours to drink it. According to the articles, I MIGHT be utilizing 1/2 or less of that protein. So I am going to split my shake in two and drink half in the morning and the other 1/2 later in the afternoon. Guess I'll just alternate taking drinks of Water to make the shake last at least an hour and a half. I'm not too worried about my food protein intake since my meals/snacks are so small anyways and are probably under the 10g mark.

Anyways, I thought this was a very valuable tidbit and wanted to share.

Great information. Also make sure you are using a high quality source of Protein.

If you are taking 2 hours to consume the 40 grams then you are still likely using most of the Protein. Protein slows the digestive process, so it stays in your intestine longer.

Wow very interesting I may try the same thing

Ugh. Just one more thing to worry about. Lol. I was just talking to my hubby about this. He said about 20g-25g per hour. So even though I'm not meeting my daily Protein goals, it seems I'm meeting my hourly Protein goals.

Ugh. Just one more thing to worry about. Lol. I was just talking to my hubby about this. He said about 20g-25g per hour. So even though I'm not meeting my daily Protein goals, it seems I'm meeting my hourly protein goals.

You'll be fine at 20-25 in an hour. It will actually digest over several hours. Just don't go for any more at 1 shot.

I do the same thing. I drink 1 Protein shake in the morning but it is split up several hours apart from each other. I drink the chocolate Premier Protein drinks. I love them in my coffee! I take 1 cup of coffee and and half of the drink along with some caramel macchiato sugar free Creamer to it and it is really really good! It replaces the need for sweets every time! :)

My NUT actually mentioned this to me during our pre-surgery sessions. Which was one of the reasons she suggested steering clear of Body Fortress and some of the high-Protein drinks because you don't use that much in one go. I still used Body Fortress (mostly because I'd bought it before I went to the counselling and got her recommendations), but I'm aware I don't utilize it all.

I need to pay closer attention to that and not feel so bad when I get smaller amounts of Protein at a time.

So we need how much Protein each day right after surgery? 60 grams? I will need to do the math to ensure I drink steady and slowly and still get In The required protein amounts.... In between my sips to get in my 64 oz of Water. Yup drink that slowly too! Will I be able to keep track of all this?! :-). I am determined to follow plan and do this right. This sleeve is going to be a great tool, but I gotta make sure I follow plan. It is up to me to do this right. It is not just going to happen just cuz I had surgery.

I was told early on that 15-20 grams of Protein per meal was advised, just as mentioned, and I have tried to stick with that. I do start my day with a homemade Protein shake that is usually in the 25-30 gram range. I find that I like starting the day with a good amount of protein and it usually keeps me satisfied for 3-4 hours. It also allows me to meet my daily protein goal of 80-90 grams with 3 meals and two Snacks.

I have read that the key to long term success is being able to maintain the feeling of satiety for as long as possible during meal time. It would be interesting to see how the protein absorption rates relate to the feeling of fullness. That could give some good guidance on amounts of protein to eat and how often.

Ugh. Just one more thing to worry about. Lol. I was just talking to my hubby about this. He said about 20g-25g per hour. So even though I'm not meeting my daily Protein goals, it seems I'm meeting my hourly Protein goals.

You'll be fine at 20-25 in an hour. It will actually digest over several hours. Just don't go for any more at 1 shot.

What do you mean "at 1 shot"? I have a whey Protein Drink with 40 grams of protein (Isopure) but it takes me all day to drink it. Is my protein getting absorbed?

@@Puppypaws57 - oh yeah. Isopure is a perfect "all day" drink. By "one shot" he means at one time, one sitting, one meal. They have those Protein shots they are 42g of Protein but you should definitely not have that all at once.

@@Puppypaws57 - oh yeah. Isopure is a perfect "all day" drink. By "one shot" he means at one time, one sitting, one meal. They have those Protein shots they are 42g of Protein but you should definitely not have that all at once.

Thank you for explaining that!

This is really interesting and great information - thanks for posting!

THIS article from LiveStrong is what I have always gone by.

As pointed out by the OP, even if you are a person who can only absorb 15 - 20 g per hour, then drinking a 40g shake over 2 hours is pretty much EXACTLY what you should be doing. It also depends on your activity level. Without actually reading the full article the OP references and seeing what their test sample was like, it is difficult to say. Where these sedentary people, moderately active, or active? I'm guessing sedentary, because if you read the fitness/bodybuilding studies, they point to numbers closer to 30g. Which makes sense as your body is going to be repairing itself more often and be calling on Protein to repair those muscles. Your body is going to become more efficient at absorbing Protein as you continue to work on your fitness.

I use the formula given in the article I reference to calculate my numbers. I also bump it a bit as I would rather store a few grams of fat than have my body not having the protein it needs to repair or metabolising muscle if it needs protein.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/532626-how-much-protein-can-be-digested-per-hour/