Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is for post op people but I got a question???? Have y'all been told that your body will not absorb but 20 g of Protein at a time? I though we were suppose to get in as much as we could in a day :) please help me!!!!

I don't know about the 20 grams of Protein, I stuck with the guidelines from my doc. He wanted me to eat 60 to 80 grams of Protein a day. And a mix of 75% protein 25% vegetables in my total calorie intake per day. During the 1st few months, I never made it to 60 grams of protein per day and focused on getting enough Water. I had no complications or problems.

So I recommend sticking with the eating program your physician or nutritionist recommended. They are in the best position to have 1st hand, long term experience with what works for their patients.

That's what I wanna do a d a friend that's two years out said I was wrong but I know what was told I wrote it down lol

I think that's for "normal" people who haven't had their insides mangled by a highly trained surgeon. :)

I agree that you should always go with the guy/gal who went to medical school. Your body can absorb the Protein - if it couldn't they wouldn't require 60-80g of Protein per day!

It's just a matter of making that goal - still impossible for me at 11 days out.

Edited by ladykatie_

Yes. The number varies between 20-27gramcs at one setting. Anything beyond that the body will actually convert into energy (fat) or simply expel. The number does vary some, but for the vast majority of the population this is accurate.

Thanks for starting this thread! What I found out will totally change how I've been consuming my Protein. This is just one of the many articles that I found ....most of them support these same stats

Protein Absorption Rate in Humans

July 6, 2007

According to this study, A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans,written by Shane Bilsborough and Neil Mann, it states…

Absorption rates of amino acids from the gut can vary from 1.4 g/h for raw egg white to 8 to 10 g/h for whey protein isolate. Slowly absorbed amino acids suchas casein (~ 6 g/h) and repeated small doses of whey protein (2.9 g per 20 min,

totaling ~ 7 g/h) promote leucine balance, a marker of protein balance, superior tothat of a single dose of 30 g of whey protein or free amino acids which are both rapidly absorbed (8 to 10 g/h), and enhance amino acid oxidation.

Quite interesting. It drives home the point that eating smaller portioned meals of less than 15-10 grams of protein is optimal. It also tells us that ingesting 40 grams of protein whey for post-workout drink is not only a waste of money as it gets excreted or is converted into carbs and then stored as body fat, among other things.

@@Kindle, would you mind explaining a bit more?

So, we should get like 10 gram whey Protein drinks at a time? Then sip on them for like an hour at a time?

or should we sip 3 grams of Protein every 20 mins or so?

I will get the sleeve in August hopefully. I am starting to try to figure out the pre and post op diet.

That is very interesting how all these high protein scoops are just a waste of money! Who knew! Those dirty rotten scoundrals! It was marketing!

Edited by Travelmego

I am no expert as I just became aware of this today. From this particular article, it sounds like no more than 8-10g of whey Protein can be absorbed in an hour. Different types of Protein (egg, casein, soy, pea, sprouted seeds, etc) will be absorbed at different rates. But of course more solid, dense Proteins like meat, Beans, cheese, etc. will stay in our stomachs longer and be slowly released into our intestines where all the absorption takes place. This further complicates figuring absorption. And our bodies use some of the protein consumed to meet immediate energy requirements. I think the absorption refered to in this article is the actual amino acids absorbed and used for building muscle. Anything more than that is used for energy or stored as fat.

Google "protein absorption" and you will find a lot better explanations. As for solid foods, I saw several recommendations of eating small, frequent meals of no more than 10-15g/protein. In any case, my 40g shake over an hour is definitely a waste of money. So I am changing to 20g shakes drank several hours apart. (Of course I'll have a snack and/or meal in between)