Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wearing cpap after surgery?

Hello, got my sleeve Thursday and came home Saturday. The hospital asked me to bring my cpap with me, although they never hooked me up to it. Now that I am home, I am snoring pretty badly without it. I wondered if I should give it a few more days before wearing it again, or go ahead and use it tonight. I would ask my doctor but of course his office closed on Sundays and I don't really think of this as an emergency page. Thanks for your help!

I understand wanting to ditch the thing! But, couldn't you have a heart attack or a stroke if your oxygen level goes down too far? I think the safe way to go is to wear it. My understanding is that the flap that obstructs the airway gets smaller *after* losing a significant amount of weight.

I used my cpap in the hospital and right when I got home. My doctor recommended it, not sure why they didn't have you use it in the hospital. I do find that I still use it on the nights I am really tired and I still snore but it isn't the type of snoring that I stop breathing like before surgery. You need good sleep to heal, so I would say wear it again....unless of course your doctor said don't wear it.

Yeah I don't understand why the hospital did not have me wear it, I was even wearing an OSA band. I think someone at doctor office had told me they did not want me swallowing air and upsetting my new sleeve. I actually DO want to wear it, I sleep better when I do.

I used mine in hospital but I had to set it up which was not easy post op. I got thrush post op which meant my mouth was nasty and even nastier when dried out. I ditched it for a while but got back into it after a few weeks or so. It's a tool in the weight loss kit though and is suppose to help us lose weight. I loathe mine in general and hope to be off it someday. Just had the settings turned down because I've now lost enough weight that I was being blown up!!! I was waking up burping!! That's a non-scale victory I suppose! But I'll be glad to hopefully lose it someday.

I also brought mine to the hospital but it was never used. I was instructed to begin using it once I returned. Six months later, I'm still using my cpap but hope once I meet my goal weight I'll be able to do another sleep study and be off of it for good!

I wore mine at the hospital and have kept wearing it since I've been home. My O2 drops when I don't wear it so until they will send me for another sleep study I guess I'm stuck with the darn thing.

Please don't stop using it without your doctor's direction. You still have sleep apnea, your surgery didn't rid you of that.

I'm 6 months out and still use mine every night. I have hopes that at some point I can get rid of it, but it's not worth the risk. Losing weight doesn't necessarily guarantee your sleep apnea will go away - it might, but it might not.

Use your cpap. Some people have a cpap that is a auto adjusting cpap. It will automatically sense what pressure you need and only give you that amount. They have also come out with a home apnea test so you dont have to do the full expensive test once you have lost the weight.

I am set to have surgery on Thursday and was told to bring my CPAP machine as well, but mine is outpatient, in at 6am and out by 5pm, so wondering when I'm going to use it? as I'm recovering? I thought we were supposed to be blowing air into that respiration thingy to keep our lungs clear every 10 min instead of sleeping the day away with my CPAP

My surgeon has said I have to bring my CPAP or they won't do the surgery, if they elect to keep you overnight they want to be sure you are oxygenated during sleep, that is my understanding. ..

Edited by SnohoGal98296

I have an autopap. Shortly after surgery I took my machines card in to be read by my Dr. and he took me off of the machine saying the levels were so low, it wasn't doing anything for me since I was breathing normally on my own. But, I really think I was diagnosed with sleep apnea just so insurance would cover my surgery through my surgeon. They said at the beginning my sleep apnea was so light they typically didn't prescribe machines to those in that range. I would keep using it until you're told otherwise by a Dr.

I used mine at the hospital too and like the other person said the hospital staff would not be liable for setting it up. My doctor reminded me that thin people can have sleep apnea and it usually takes a lot of weight loss to eliminate the need. In any Case keep using it until you get released.

Thanks guys. I started using mine at night again and I sleep soooo much better.

Sweet dreams. I know if you have been as tired as I have since not eating solid food.... you REALLY need good sleep