Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about carbonated beverages

I have a diet coke every once in awhile with no problems. Occasionally I will get an uncomfortable tight feeling but I burp and feel fine. Then today. .. had about 5 sips and got a terrible "stuck" feeling. The longer I sat there, the more sick to my stomach I became and finally threw up. (TMI.. sorry) I wasn't eating food and my last fill was 3 weeks ago.

So what's that all about? I've read that many people can't drink carbonated beverages ever after surgery. (Apparently I might have just become one of them) What's the physical reason for that? And is there a reason why a diet coke would bother me one day and not 4 days later? Just curious.

I was told it was cuz the carbonation and the stomachs inability to expel the gas fast enough due to the band

I am 2-1/2 years post-banding and I drink carbonated drinks almost daily. I have felt what you are feeling before If I gulp to big. When drinking carbonated drinks I always try to consciously take smaller sips. Also, remember your band will act differently on different days due to different reasons…being sick, change in weather or altitudes, stress, etc. all will make me feel more restriction & therefore my body reacts differently at those times than it may have to the exact same food or drink even earlier in the same day! Listen to your body. If you are going to drink carbonated drinks, be conscience about what you are feeling & make changes accordingly. Pay attention to when these changes happen, so you can make changes in the future If we are going to drink carbonated drinks or eat things others can't eat (I eat everything, no restrictions) than we have to be more in touch with listening to our bodies reactions & pay more attention. Carbonated drinks can be dangerous for bandsters, because of all the extra air. I have heard of people's bands twisting or slipping (I think that's what happened) due to drinking carbonated drinks. Be careful!

Edited by gym_addict

My doctor informed me not to have carbonation because it expands and bloats your stomach. Because of that, I haven't had a soda since prior to surgery. I'm nearly 2 years out.

We were heavy for a reason. So why go back to old habits. It seems silly to me to continue to drink the stuff. I've had diet non carbonated drinks and can't even stomach those either. Just Water or Protein drinks for me.

Thank you all for the input! Understand about old habits but having a Diet Coke once or twice a week is something I enjoy without any added calories. No problems up until the other day.

Interesting what was typed about how different outside elements can affect the way your band reacts. I've never considered that before but will pay attention now. I've noticed there are days when I can eat a little bit of bread no problem. Same bread, three days later, and it doesn't work at all. I've been satisfied with my results up to this point so its nice not to have too many restrictions on different types of foods.

Again, everyone here always has such great input so I appreciate your feedback. I don't post a lot but read and consider everything everyone writes.