Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Morning all. I had my surgery this past March. I have a 3-year old daughter and I was thinking about joining the military towards the end of next year before her 5th birthday in December. I was researching WLS and military enlistment. I have read its either a no-go, hard, or some were even able to get in. Most of the articles and responses were from 2009. I'm hoping things have changed since then. Any suggestions?

What branch of the service are you trying to get into? Each branch of the Military has it's own restrictions. The Navy & Air Force are harder to get into because they have more health restrictions. The Army is the easiest. I have a son that doesn't have a spleen & the Navy wouldn't take him for that reason even tho' he is healthy. I hope you get what you want. I grew up in a military (Navy) family & was married to a Seabee (Navy). God Bless you for wanting to do this.

@MAXCUIMAX Thank You so much for telling me that!! Im really interested in joining the military and im going to try my best. My mind is really set on it. Also, I wanted to go the army :)

Edited by ahjohnson

I'm an Army vet. When I joined (in 1996), I had to get a special waiver cuz I was 5 yrs post op gallbladder removal. They take any surgery (even if it doesn't affect ur health) very seriously. They don't want to be responsible for any issues arising in the future.

From what I know, wls is no-go in any of the branches. Not only becuz of the anatomy alteration issue, but becuz of the special dietary issues. They can't provide future dietary specificities and they don't want to be responsible for any problems that might come up becuz of it. Imagine urself in the field for 4 weeks eating MRE's. No special dispensation for ur dietary needs.

Look at : http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r40_501.pdf

On page 5, ull see the remark:

i. Other. History of any gastrointestinal procedure for the control of obesity does not meet the standard. Artificial
openings, including, but not limited to ostomy (V44), do not meet the standard
I think all the branches probly use the same physical requirements. The requirements are very strict. The Army makes u crab crawl in ur underwear to make sure u don't have flat feet. Picture about 30 women, all lined up in their panties and crab crawling across the floor while drs watch. I remember it well...
Good luck in fighting it. The military is a tough fight for sure...If u have any questions, just ask...

I have the same issue with getting any information because all the posts are 5 and 6 years old but I found a post on her about a year old where a guy got in. Also I asked a recruiter before I had my surgery if it was going to be a pdq (permanent disqualification) and he said there are waivers to get around it. The bypass is a pdq though. I'm planning on joining the army next fall. The best thing to do is get an evaluation from your surgeon before going to the recruiter. It'll help them get the waiver from what I've read.

I'm 6 year out gastric bypass and I can eat anything along with going a long period with out food. I'm a firefighter , EMT and 911 dispatcher. I go long times with out food. I love the military very much but I think they need to look at the EMS field before they crack down on gastric bypass. Gastric bypass doesn't stop u from fighting for the country u love. We love it with our surgery why can't we fight with it.

Did you have luck?

...Picture about 30 women, all lined up in their panties and crab crawling across the floor while drs watch. I remember it well...

Damn, I should have been an Army doctor. :)

PS. Thank you for serving our great Nation.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

Know this is an old post but I'm really curious of the outcome. I'm 9mpo and I've really got my heart set on enlisting airforce as at least an E4. I have a degree and have been a civil service employee the last 10 years. I'm so close to goal, 40lbs to the requirement with my height. I even stopped work on my tattoo 1/2 sleeve to qualify. and new updates?

Any new data or information on this? I'm going to call an Army recruiter this week and find out what the deal is! I'm 12 months out come 2/23/17 I'm 176 right now from 302! I'm 32 years old and had the RNY. Any new recent findings would be great!

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, ByPassedGuy said:

Any new data or information on this? I'm going to call an Army recruiter this week and find out what the deal is! I'm 12 months out come 2/23/17 I'm 176 right now from 302! I'm 32 years old and had the RNY. Any new recent findings would be great!

I had gallbladder surgery and my bariatric procedure is actually recorded by my surgeon as "treatment for hiatal hernia and GERD" since I was self pay, I could label it in any way they'd alternatively bill an insurance company. At this point, the Air Force recruiter says its still a go. I've been working with him for 3 months. He says once all is said and done and I take the officer test, I can be evaluated by their physician who will accept my medical documents as is. IDK, I guess its more alternative labeling rather than lying...

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, ByPassedGuy said:

Oh and it's a solid NO from the army and Marines but Air Force and Navy will work around it if at all possible