Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night cough

Help! I have had my band since 2008... I had 1 total unfill in 2010 due to a possible slip. After 5 or 6 months (I have a 10cc band), my doctor finally refilled my band to 5.5cc the end of dec 2010. My symptoms were, bad heartburn all day and night, vomiting, bad night cough... Well as of 2 weeks ago I have been just fine..I have not had any refills since 2010. Now all of a sudden I only have a night cough, but i notice that I'm eating and going to bed, around 2am I start to cough. I also take nexium for reflux which works for me... Should I try not eating and going to bed ???? For over 2 years this did not bother me... Don't want a unfill.... I had a ct scan a few months ago by my gas doctor ( had a problem with stomach muscle pain, which is now gone)..and my band was fine..help please...

How soon do you go to bed after eating?

Well, I know I should not do this, but I have not been waiting more than an hour, some nights after a meal I go right to bed... 10 15 mins later.... I know that is a bad habit....

You describe my symptoms exactly, except I was banded in 2007. I aspirated in Feb then got pneumonia from it. I now know after an endoscopy that I have developed a reservoir for food and need a band replacement and repositioning. This will happen ASAP. Aspirating is never a good thing so get scoped to see what's going on. I'm noticing that it's pretty common with us older banders that we are developing these symptoms. My doc opened my band up a cc and that took away symptoms for now.

I was banded in '09. I started having all of the same symptoms as you. I could always eat what I wanted and as much as I wanted but I've always stopped myself from doing that. I've had so many fills and unfills that I cant even count anymore. I developed acid reflux and terrible night coughs even though my last meal would be 4 hrs before bedtime. I'm diabetic and it was hard doing that. I've had mostly all of my Fluid removed and have gained back 13 lbs 3 years ago but can proudly say that I've maintained there. You may be a little too tight also, but be careful when the Fluid is out of your band.

I had similar issues and recently had GI series discovering there are issues with band and esophagus.

The band had created restriction to the point it dilated it.

I am revising to a sleeve and they will make any repairs to the esophagus at that time.

You describe my symptoms exactly, except I was banded in 2007. I aspirated in Feb then got pneumonia from it. I now know after an endoscopy that I have developed a reservoir for food and need a band replacement and repositioning. This will happen ASAP. Aspirating is never a good thing so get scoped to see what's going on. I'm noticing that it's pretty common with us older banders that we are developing these symptoms. My doc opened my band up a cc and that took away symptoms for now.

I've now had my surgery and I was told it was quite a mess inside. My stomach was in a huge reservoir that had to be repaired, lots of scar tissue to clean up, a hiatal hernia to repair due to the months of night coughing I did, on top of the band replacement and repositioning I had to have. On the mend and lost all the weight I'd gained, about 10 lbs, from my doc opening my old band. Now it's onward to hopefully lose the last 10 lbs I never got off.

Glad your on the mend.

I opted to convert to a sleeve. To ME the band has not lived up to its promises.

Chris- Now that it's been a while, how do you feel about the sleeve?

I've had all the these night cough and slimming issues since I had the band. Wondering if I should do something else?

I think the sleeve is far superior to the band. I was have major issues with the band and aspirating at night.

I lost a lot of weight but have gained some back due to injuries and not focusing on my diet.

i easily drop the weight once committed and am eating right again. I fluctuate up and down about 20lbs.

The band for me was the worst thing, and did more harm than good.

i do have some reflux issues that I control naturally (ACV).

For me I couldn’t get the band out fast enough. My kaiser doctors hate them and take them out regularly.

Thank you for the quick response. I've had issues since I got the band. Have had unfills to sleep and still have issues, just in small portions. But an unfill means a gain of 30 lbs. SO frustrating. SO tired of dealing with it. I'm afraid I won't be committed to dieting and have been told you have to diet to get rid of the weight with the sleeve. If I could stick with dieting I wouldn't be in this shape. Thanks again for your imput. Better info for me to consider.

You will lose more with a sleeve but still need to work at it. The only way to get near guarantee is bypass. You will still have to be careful there but the side affects for bypass we’re not worth it for me.

i am completely healthy with the sleeve other than a few extra pounds. This issue with the band is the body really doesn’t want it in there and fights it.

I had a band placed in 2011. Worst medical decision I ever made. I caused major problems ... Acid reflux, night coughing, and more. In the last three or so years I had horrible doubling over pain at least 3-5 days a week. After a gastro did an EGD on me he found gastritis and esophagitis to where my pouch opening to the stomach was nearly closed due to inflammation. He referred to to a Bariatric surgeon suggesting a revision the the sleeve. I ended up having an emergency revision to gastric bypass. I did not choose the LB removal only because of weight regain. My surgeon said that the sleeve would make my GERD worse so I chose the RNY. No More GERD! No More Pain either! I feel great! During the surgery he found my stomach high in my chest due to a hiatal hernia caused by the band. He also did repairs to the esophagus (was in an S shape). Also my port was nearly detached. My new bariatric surgeon’s Center for Bariatric Excellence no longer places Lapband... but does a lot of removals and revisions due to serious so many complications.

WowThank you for the quick response. I've had issues since I got the band. Have had unfills to sleep and still have issues, just in small portions. But an unfill means a gain of 30 lbs. SO frustrating. SO tired of dealing with it. I'm afraid I won't be committed to dieting and have been told you have to diet to get rid of the weight with the sleeve. If I could stick with dieting I wouldn't be in this shape. Thanks again for your imput. Better info for me to consider.