Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crossfitting post-surgery

I am scheduled to be sleeved next month. I have previously crossfitted and eaten paleo for 3 years ending at the end of 2013 (at which point I fell of the wagon and started gradually relapsing on my eating and exercising). I really enjoyed crossfitting and paleo but it did not make me thin (here is a video of me:

). I was okay at it, not great but loved it and am anxious to get back to it. From the forum, I see that I will be waiting at least 6 weeks, perhaps longer to begin again with the weights. My question to anyone familiar with Crossfit post-sleeve is this - do you find that you can get enough calories in to sustain intense crossfit workouts? When I was doing it, I actually ate more paleo calories to sustain the energy. I did not really gain weight, albeit did not really lose weight either, and I suspect some of it was muscle. Anyone experienced with Crossfit post-sleeve and maintaining calories?

I am not far enough out yet but I too love CrossFit. I can't wait to get back to the box. (I know my 225# deadlift is slipping away but the pounds are dropping so I'll deal). My guess is we will probably have to supplement with shakes pre and post WOD. Prior to WLS I was using Vitargo post-WOD for quick carbs. Hopefully someone will chime in here.

Edited by badabing

My opinion is that you will not be able to eat enough calories or carbs to make it through a met con like filthy 50 or murph at 6 weeks post op. Even the shorter AMRAP met cons will be a challenge because you will probably bonk way to early and it could be, in fact, dangerous in terms of dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, etc. . Crossfit is very demanding as you are aware and requires a lot of energy from good food.

I started cross fit at month 7, but that is mostly because I didn't find out about it until month 5 or 6. I then spent the next 6 months with a PT doing cross fit 2x a week and at home workouts on 3-4 more days. It was not until about 14 months post op that I got to where I was doing met cons 4-5 days a week and was quite good at it (top 1 or 2). I was eating 7-8 x a day paleo and a lot of Protein. Paleo AMRAP bars were my favorite after cross fit at 300 calories of mostly oats and honey, but man, they were/are expensive. The company that makes them has a hold on the market and will not let anyone sell them for less than $3 a bar.

I had no issue losing and, in fact, needed to muscle up more. I was underweight at 168 (5'11") and that was limiting my lifting ability. I was really good at gymnastic type exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, running, jumping, etc. not so good at lifting overhead with thrusters, cleans and jerks. I still eat this was today at post op 23 months, but stopped cross fit 3 months ago because it took a toll on my shoulders.

I plan to return in a few months to the box, now a little smarter about the body mechanics in terms of lifting overhead. When I go back, I will be more careful about not pushing through injury and preventing injury altogether now that my body and I have a very good understanding of physical mechanics.

All in all, you have to be able to eat to have the energy to get through cross fit. For this reason, I think you should wait until you are able to eat enough, drink enough and move in athletic ways without fear of injury.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am not looking to do more than 2-3 WODs a week. As much as I hate cherry-picking, it might be necessary in the beginning, I tend to prefer the strength and power workouts so I think if I scale them appropriately it might be doable. I'm not even a month out so I will probably wait until 3-4 months before I even consider it.

Good luck..with...crossfit...blah that's hard to say. To each their own. It's awesome you're getting in and doing something though. just be careful and learn proper form on your own, God knows those idiots they call "instructors" don't know anything about form.

Edited by mark!

Bugs me to say this, mark, but I agree with your statement. These instructors do have rudimentary fitness information, but it is so basic, it does not prevent injury in a lot of people, including myself. Maybe things will change. I am learning far more about body form and proper balancing from other sources then I did from the instructors at my cross fit. May not be true In a general sense, but the bar is kind of low to become a certified cross fit instructor. Be careful. If you think you are injured or have a chance of getting injured, sit out the WOD or power lift. It is not worth it.

Edited by Fiddleman

I crossfit 2 times a day post surgery! It's fabulous.

I crossfit 2 times a day post surgery! It's fabulous.

Wow - are you preparing for a future compete?