Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery experience - what to expect

Hello from sunny and dry Arizona! :)

I honestly wish I read more people's hospital experiences before I had my surgery. It would have prepared me better mentally and physically. I had my surgery exactly a week ago and honestly had no idea what to expect either. I've never had ANY major surgery before this one. Here's my experience:

I went to the hospital with my hubby in the morning and checked in. Thankfully they didn't make me wait long in the waiting room for the "pre-op" room (for lack of a better term). In that room is where they do final checks of everything to make sure you are all ready to go. So you change into your surgery gear (nothing but a paper gown and hospital socks) and they start taking your blood. Anywhere from 2-12 vials depending on what they need. They wanted me to do a quick EKG (I hadn't had one because my doc didn't think I needed it) and of course, my heart was fine. I also had to do a urine test to make sure I wasn't pregnant (rolls eyes). After tests and all that, they get your IV need stuck in your hand. To me, it was painful but I have a pretty low tolerance for pain. Sometimes they'll start your IV right then or wait until right before they take you into the surgery room. Next, you meet with the anesthesiologist, who checks you out and makes sure you are A-OK.

All the while they are doing this, the hospital nurses usually are confirming your info like name, date of birth, address, etc.

So depending on when you got in the room and when your surgery is, you may have a little waiting time. I brought my phone to play some games and talked with the hub. Just keep calm is my policy.

The time comes to take you to the surgery room and the anesthesiologist gives you "something to calm down." Not the actual anesthesia that will put you out, usually. Then they got me into the surgery room and it's just like you'd imagine: a bunch of nurses and staff milling around, big scary machines and a table just for you, all in white. (This is when I got really nervous). They moved me onto the table and the nurse was strapping my arms down with some velcro straps "just in case." Before I knew it I was OUT cold. The anesthesiologist didn't say a word, didn't make me countdown, nothing. I was just talking to the nice nurse then out.

Next thing I know, I'm becoming conscious in a different place on a hospital bed. I was so nauseous I thought I was going to throw up and I kept repeating that. I was in A LOT of pain, I won't lie. I don't really remember being wheeled around into my room or anything, so I think I passed out again either from left-over anesthesia or the pain. My hubby said I was moaning and groaning and he hated that he couldn't do anything to help (poor guy).

Then in the hospital room, I am conscious and the nurse is making sure I have everything I need: full IV, pain meds and my little button I can push for pain. I'm still really out of it but it's still very painful. No one really warned me about the pain in your belly but man it hurts!! Again, my pain tolerance is pretty low.

I don't remember the catheter being put in or even how it felt until many hours later. Felt like I had to pee constantly, but you have other problems to worry about so you kind of just forget it about it.

Then people start visiting and it's all kind of a blur. Everyone said I had a permanent frown on my face and my eyes were slits. I hardly remember it and I think that's a good thing because I was in so much pain. I don't remember the drain at all, or if I even had one to be honest. My hubby doesn't know either, he was mostly concerned about me.

The next day I just wanted the IV out of my hand because it hurt. They discharged me with liquid pain meds, Lovenox injections (to prevent blood clots) and omeprazole to take one week after the surgery. I was in lots of pain but I definitely wanted to go home. Hospital stay was about 36 hours or so. Not a full two days.

I know it seems like a lot but I'm positive that you will go in better off having read at least one experience. Everyone is different. Everyone's doctor is different. Just keep that in mind and make sure you have your support group. OH and remember to be patient with your body!!

I am curious did you have open surgery or robotic? I have heard those that have this procedure via the robot have less pain because the incisions are much smaller.

@@jjinWA - I had the robot (laproscopic) surgery. Six incisions. The reason I was in so much pain is probably because (a) I'd never had major surgery in my life, and (B) they still have to cut through stomach muscle and move around your organs to complete the surgery.

Those are my theories. Some people have very little to no pain! I couldn't believe it when I heard that.

Well the important thing is that you have the surgery behind you and every day from now it will get better. We all heal at different levels and time frames. I can hardly wait for my turn! Surgery is in a few weeks. I just want to start looking forward and putting the past behind me. I will happily exchange the emotional pain I have lived with for years to a bit of surgery pain. It is my belief that the surgery pain is short lived. Can't say that about the other!

@@jjinWA - Agreed. Not to mention other unhealthy pains. I look forward to less back pain for sure!!! (among other things)

I had zero pain I'm sorry to hear your story

What pain medicine were you on during the post op period??

I can't remember what they gave me at the hospital but they discharged me with Roxicet. I haven't been using it though because it doesn't help at all. I'm in a lot less pain now but it's still there. I have a low pain tolerance so that might be it too.

Is it strange I'm more afraid of the catheter than the surgery itself?! :blink: Glad to see you didn't really know when they put it in. I am terrified of it and now I have my friend who is also getting ready to have the surgery paranoid too. Lol. Thanks for sharing your experience! My surgery is September/October! Things are getting very real quickly!

@@NicoleSW - that was SERIOUSLY my exact thought! I'm like, ehhh surgery but a catheter!?!? So yeah you'll either be out or out-of-it when they put it in (hopefully). When they took it out, it didn't hurt at all. It was a tiny pull down there and it was over. I guess you can always ask when they put it in, just so you'll have peace of mind! Best of luck and don't get too scared!

<p>@@NicoleSW - that was SERIOUSLY my exact thought! I'm like, ehhh surgery but a catheter!?!? So yeah you'll either be out or out-of-it when they put it in (hopefully). When they took it out, it didn't hurt at all. It was a tiny pull down there and it was over. I guess you can always ask when they put it in, just so you'll have peace of mind! Best of luck and don't get too scared!</p>

Hahahahaha!!!! Glad my friend and I aren't the only ones!!!!! Thanks darlin'!!! ????