Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rethink your drink!

When it comes to weight loss, there's no lack of diets promising fast results. There are low-carb diets, high-carb diets, low-fat diets, grapefruit diets, cabbage Soup diets, and blood type diets, to name a few. But no matter what diet you may try, to lose weight, you must take in fewer calories than your body uses. Most people try to reduce their calorie intake by focusing on food, but another way to cut calories may be to think about what you drink.

What Do You Drink? It Makes More Difference Than You Think!

Calories in drinks are not hidden (they're listed right on the Nutrition Facts label), but many people don't realize just how many calories beverages can contribute to their daily intake. As you can see in the example below, calories from drinks can really add up. But there is good news: you have plenty of options for reducing the number of calories in what you drink.

Attached is my sons 4th grade science project. Makes me so proud!

10155873_10152473700346948_7943096460407638151_n.jpg

Very cute. Where is that bottle of coke he mentions in the hypotheses? And I love the way you made some extra "R"s!

Good for him:) This just goes to show he is learning early to hopefully not make same mistakes most of us have. Other then wine i drink once a blue moon. I only drink Water and truly believe it helps with my weight loss.

He did a good job Alex. Too bad Shimmy didn't include coffee with the other examples he noted in his project. I wonder myself how much damage I'm doing when I add the Creamer. (I have to add half and half to my coffee...milk just doesn't cut it for me). And....just how many calories are actually in a cup of coffee...or tea for that matter? Something to ponder....lol.

Good for him:) This just goes to show he is learning early to hopefully not make same mistakes most of us have. Other then wine i drink once a blue moon. I only drink Water and truly believe it helps with my weight loss.

I have a poland spring machine on every floor in my house. We're a huge fan of Water in my household.

He did a good job Alex. Too bad Shimmy didn't include coffee with the other examples he noted in his project. I wonder myself how much damage I'm doing when I add the creamer. (I have to add half and half to my coffee...milk just doesn't cut it for me). And....just how many calories are actually in a cup of coffee...or tea for that matter? Something to ponder....lol.

It's nothing near most of the drinks on the whiteboard but those liquid calories sure do add up. coffee is technically calorie free. It's the other yummy crap we add that adds those calories. I ended my relationship with coffee almost a 1 1/2 now. It causes me reflux issues and I'm best staying away from it. Transitioned to caffeine free tea. I still have a sweet tooth and mix in stevia, Monkfruit or other (un)natual sweeteners.

Wow, a picture is worth a thousand words and 3D is even better. Great to get that message across to peers in such a visual way. I can't believe what people put into their bodies! Big Gulp? Good grief! Another great project would be the how many ingredients question. In London, McDonald's fries have three. In the US, McDonald's fries have......wait for it.......seventeen ingredients.

Great job, Alex. Your son has been taught well by his dad! Did he win a prize?

@@Alex Brecher -- looks like your son is learning from your experiences to consider what he's eating / drinking and the health benefits -- good for him.

I'm preop -- love tea but need to find some that's caffeine free and not sweetened with sugar. Do you have any ready to drink / grab and go brands that you like?

Great job, Alex. Your son has been taught well by his dad! Did he win a prize?

The science fair is today. We'll find out shortly!

@@Alex Brecher -- looks like your son is learning from your experiences to consider what he's eating / drinking and the health benefits -- good for him.

I'm preop -- love tea but need to find some that's caffeine free and not sweetened with sugar. Do you have any ready to drink / grab and go brands that you like?

I used to drink 6-8 cups of coffee daily until about 1 1/2 years ago. I replaced the Joe with caffeine free (not "decaf") herbal tea. I normally enjoy plain bottled Water when I'm on the go but occasionally squirt in some Mio, crystal light or other calorie free flavors to give the Water some taste.

Best wishes for your son, Alex!

Wow, your child is amazing and smart. I bet your very proud of him. I hope he won.

So, how'd he do, Alex?