Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I had my first appointment with my surgeon, it went really well until I mentioned that I was leaning toward getting the sleeve. I was very taken aback when he told me that I'm too healthy to qualify for the sleeve and that a Dr. would have to "fudge" the paperwork for me to have it paid for by OHIP.

I thought that because I am healthy and very motivated that the less invasive surgery would be the one for me. The Dr also told me that he thought that I'd probably fail, long term, with the sleeve.

I really am disappointed and now have to really think about the by-pass.

I would think if your too healthy for the sleeve your too healthy for bypass! That makes no sense I personally think some doctors just have a preference in which surgery they prefer if your really wanting the sleeve I would suggest a second opinion stick to your guns

The Dr said that while the sleeve is a stand alone operation now the Ontario Gov fee schedual is clear about who may qualify to have it covered. I could if, for example, I suffered arthitis and needed anti inflamatories to manage it.

Hey

I wanted the sleeve too but my surgeon really supported the bypass. I can't speak for your surgeon but mine has lots of experience in the field. I realized that she does this week after week and sees patient after patient...she sees the best results with bypass. I finally just decided to trust her and went with the bypass. I'm happy with my decision now. Don't know if that helps.

I suspect that, since you are under national healthcare, they made the criteria very strict on prpose. Having said that, I would suggest a 2nd (or even 3rd) opinion before deciding on either surgery. Funny to me...in a sad way...that in the US, the opposite is usually the case...they want EVERYONE to have surgery!!! That's probably a reflection of the $$$$ to be had by the surgeons!!!

You did not mention your weight/BMI, etc., but gastric bypass is still considered the "gold standard" for bariatric surgery. The sleeve and band are less invasive, but generally less effective as well. I had a band first and I wish I had opted for the bypass from the start...would've saved me a lot of money and unnecessary GERD as well.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it is YOUR decision...not insurance, not the surgeon, not your family/friends...YOU are the one who has to live with it and go through it, so make sure it's your decision.

Best Wishes!!!

I had lapband and had to be revised. I thought I wanted the sleeve but since I am self pay my doc said go for the rny bypass when I asked why he said bypass has a better rate of success and a lot of times sleeve is step one of bypass. They get sleeves then bypass.. I was like oh no I'm done with wls surgeries this has to be my last.. Just my 2 cents..

I agree with allilee...I had a revision from band as well...time and money lost, but not weight!!! I wish I had just gone straight to bypass...the "selling point" for band is exactly why it doesn't work as well...less "change" in your body. The "change" is what most of us need to be successful! I don't want to tell you what to do, but my experience has been that the "gold standard" is the best for a reason...it's most successful in the long run. You have to make the decision of what's right for you, but if I could re-do mine, I'd have started with bypass...have felt much better than with the band and been more successful with weight loss. Remember, bypass provides BOTH restriction AND malabsorption. The others only provide restriction. Much of it will depend if you feel you need both to be successful. Restriction alone was not enough for me and I had worse reflux with the band.

Having said that...when I had my bypass, several people in the office were post-sleeve patients. Almost all reported not being hungry AT ALL and most had pretty decent post-op results...don't know about their long-term status, but were losing quickly right after surgery. I, on the other hand, lost very slowly...but steadily over time.

Gather as much info as you can, but then make your own decision based on your body, your goals, your finances and your overall well-being. Best wishes on your journey!!!

You must do what it right for you. YOU are going through it and YOU have to live with it. Do your homework and let your heart and brain decide.

hi all i have just started the first steps towards surgery i feel i want to go for the gastric bypass as i have a bmi of 56 but i am really scared as i have looked all over the internet an so many things say there are risks of death ie... staple Fluid lekage and emolism an internal hernia and so on please does anyone have any advice im so scared

Elizabeth, try to look at it this way.. Yes there are risks but I bet the risks of staying at a BMI of 56 are much higher than bypass risks. That's why it's called morbidly obese . It will kill you. Bypass will give you the opportunity to start a new better life. A life with the morbidly removed. I know wls saved my life.. I was morbidly obese and now I am living my life to the fullest. I started with lapband but now have bypass I wish I had just done bypass.. Good luck and remember even walking down the street has risks. Start googling benefits of bypass and I know those outweigh the risks ten fold. Hope that helps!!!

Elizabeth, I agree with allielee...yes, there are risks, but there are serious risks with being morbidly obese too. Most of the complications (DVT, suture lysis, etc.) are UNlikely, although you have to be informed of ALL the risks and benefits to make an informed decision. I know people larger than me that have all had successful surgeries and NO complications, other than lactose intolerance and/or blood sugar swings. Decide what is right for you and then follow ALL doctor guidelines (if you choose surgery) and you will most likely to just fine...like all the people on this website!!! Best wishes.

(BTW...look at how MANY people are on this website...that have gone through WLS and are doing great...that's a whole lot of people...the odds are heavily in your favor for a good outcome!!)

thanks for your advice its just so scareee i know i will be ok but there is always a worry deep down xxx