Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read so many comments how people can eat around the sleeve, i am just wondering how this is possible. Surely your stomach has restriction no matter what you eat???

.Eating around your sleeve can be caused by high calorie liquids/sliders, alcohol, grazing and not eating your dence protien first according to my doc.

Also, you can drink lots of calories in ways other than alcohol (certain coffee drinks, for example).

As you get farther out from surgery, you can eat a bit more so you can't rely strictly on your restriction to keep your weight down.

I agree with the above, for sure. I also have no doubt that much regain is caused by those who choose to graze all day on foods that are not healthy choices. I may not be able to eat a whole slice of pizza in one sitting, but I have no doubt I could eat a whole pizza over the course of the day. With wings. And breadsticks. And soda. It would take me all day, but I could do it, one bite at a time.

Why would anyone want to eat around the sleeve? It was so hard to get approved and wanting to lose weight, way why would you want to sabotage it. I have never really understood this. Especially if you really wanted this surgary and pain after to work. Sorry I needed to vent.

I don't think most people WANT to eat around their sleeve. Most people have the very best of intention. I think it happens a little bit at a time and before you know it, you are back to bad habits such as grazing or eating slider foods. It's a slippery slope, one bite of something turns into 5 and so on.....

Why would anyone want to eat around the sleeve? It was so hard to get approved and wanting to lose weight, way why would you want to sabotage it. I have never really understood this. Especially if you really wanted this surgary and pain after to work. Sorry I needed to vent.

Fixing my brain has not been as simple as fixing my body. I'm a SAHM and have to stay out of the house to keep from grazing. I exercise in the morning (tennis) and run errands in the early afternoon. I try to limit myself to only eating at planned intervals

Addiction to food and sugar and carbs. That's how people slide with their sleeves. I'm only 4 weeks out and I can tell I'm going to have to work hard at this every step of the way. I'm addicted to sugar. Food calls to me when it's near me. It's easier to say no with my sleeve but it's not easy and I have eaten things I shouldn't be eating already. And I'm just a few weeks out! It's quite disturbing! It's a physical and emotional addiction for me.

Edited by beeteroo

I went into this surgery with the vision of adhering to my team's instructions perfectly, with no plan on sabotaging the process. But there I was, about 4 weeks out or so, dealing with fluctuating hormones and a weight loss stall, eating a piece of fried chicken and a Cadbury creme egg. I missed my friend (food). I missed being able to stuff down emotions with my friend. Now I had to actually (shudder) deal with these feelings. I still do. I will do so for the rest of my life.

I think I speak for many of us that the hardest part of the journey is not the approval process, the pre-op preparations or the post-op pain and weakness. It is the hard work and dedication it takes to stay in a state of equilibrium.

Having said that, grazing and certain foods (Peanut Butter for me) allow us to out-think the sleeve when we're feeling less than optimal. Like LipstickLady said, I too could probably eat 4,000+ calories a day if I take a little bit all day long. It's a slippery slope we are climbing, indeed.

Be well…

Edited by DeniseNCC1701

DeniseNCC1701,

YOU ARE SO CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, the mental part of this is so much more difficult than the physical part. I actually went through a mourning period because I couldn't deal with life the way I had for decades--by using food as my drug. I now have to FEEL my feelings. That can be an extremely difficult thing to do for someone like myself who DID NOT have to do that before.

Now I have to live a life UN-numbed by food. I have to deal with unpleasant feelings, not stuff them down with food. For me, that is where the true work is at--in my still FAT brain.

Be well everybody,

Kathleen

Im right with everyone. I had every intentions on following my doctor and the NUT program for me. Im 5 weeks out and I find my self sliding on that slope. Trying things I know I shouldnt. I took my 1yr old to the mall saturday, armed with my Protein smoothie. I was going to get him some shoes because striderite was having a sale. Im thinking I can get some walking in while im there. I didnt realize striderite was right next to the nestle toll house cookie shop. I got one cookie. A big cookie that is. Your mind thinks for you. Telling me ive been good. Whats one cookie going to do. I didnt eat it til the evening but goodness I paid for it during the night. Body wasn't ready for those sugars. So I know it will be a struggle for me that I will battle for the rest of my life.

Hello Everyone...I had my surgery 8/17/2012. It was my new lease on life! My highest was 348 and since surgery my lowest has been 229...for me...amazing! Yes I want to lose more but...I too am sugar and carb addicted. I know there are some people who swear they will always follow the rules and do...I did. But I have also been struggling because of my need to have food and alcohol...socially and I love food. You can slip with the sleeve. Sometimes life gets in the way...excuses. But today...right now...I have to take charge and remember I eat to live not live to eat. I have to remember two years ago the pain I had physically and emotionally an how I was blessed to have a restart button.

As an addict I must encourage my fellow addicts to remember who you were and how we hoped and prayed for the ability to walk without pain, play with our kids and/or grand kids, shop in the regular sized stores, sit in a chair without fear of breaking it, not need an extender on an airplane, have friends and family stop telling you what your problem was...The list goes on and on for each of us. I am beginning again to touch my dreams...today!

This may not be anyone's truth but I just needed to vent and recommit publicly...Blessings!