Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine Use after the Sleeve

My personal biggest issue before surgery with phentermine is that I gained my weight back plus some when I stopped taking it. With the sleeve and the amount of food I consume now, this wont be an issue. I chose the sleeve specifically to decrease my hunger hormones which had been out of control since early childhood. Having a decrease in my hunger was such a huge selling point for me. I was incredibly disappointed when my hunger remained the same, all that changed was the amount I ate.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Anyone who has taken Phentermine after weight loss surgery; What has been your experience?

Short RANT ahead of time! Phentermine is the "Chemical Sleeve" so to speak. It takes away your hunger and in addition, ups the metabolism to give you energy. I understand that some people have bad side effects on phentermine, that is the case with any prescription drug. People don't stop taking psych meds because other people have had issues with them, so I am not sure why so many people are against it. I also understand that over 20 years ago there was a deadly combination phen phen but that isn't the case now. People die getting weight loss surgery, does that mean we should condemn it? If phentermine causes issues for you personally stay away from it but why discourage other people from using it as a tool if it works for them? If we honestly look at the situation it is way more drastic to go out and have surgery to lose weight than take a prescribed weight loss pill!! The downside of phentermine is obviously the weight is hard to keep off unless you make life style changes (just like with the sleeve!).

I have taken phentermine before so I am certainly not going to judge one on taking it - no worries there. , too, lost a lot of weight on it then gained it right back. I also have wondered about taking it post-op since I have a bunch left.

I see you have lost a lot of weight with your sleeve. Are you wanting to take the phentermine for more weight loss or just to clamp down on hunger? The only thing I would worry about is becoming mal-nourished with adding the phentermine. (That and the usual side effects like blood pressure.)

I am surprised your hunger remained the same. I thought the sleeve is supposed to remove the gherlin production so no way could it remain the same. Don't get upset with my next question - just throwing it out there for consideration in case you haven't thought about it. Have you considered it might be emotional hunger? That you are not really physically hungry but emotionally?

Edited by Travelmego

Pre op, I had great success using phentermine. My only side effect was acne. The only reason I stopped taking it was because it was hard for me to find a Dr to prescribe them. Once I came off of them permanently is when my weight shot up through the roof. With that being said, while my appetite has increased since surgery I am making better choice of what I am eating and am only needing a few bites before I am full. I don't really need a complete appetite suppressant at this point because I am struggling to get food in but I would see no worries in the future for in the future going back on phentermine.

I just hope that I will never have a need for phentermine, or diets or any of that old crap I used to put myself through again. The only option I am debating once at goal is weight watchers for accountability and keeping up the lifestyle chance and learning how to eat anything in moderation.

I see you have lost a lot of weight with your sleeve. Are you wanting to take the phentermine for more weight loss or just to clamp down on hunger? The only thing I would worry about is becoming mal-nourished with adding the phentermine. (That and the usual side effects like blood pressure.)

I am surprised your hunger remained the same. I thought the sleeve is supposed to remove the gherlin production so no way could it remain the same. Don't get upset with my next question - just throwing it out there for consideration in case you haven't thought about it. Have you considered it might be emotional hunger? That you are not really physically hungry but emotionally?

I am still 60 pounds from goal and unfortunately haven't lost much after the year mark. I became a grazer so I take the phentermine to keep that in check. When I don't feel like Im starving I am making much better food choices! Ive lost 9 pounds in four days after beginning the phentermine.

Not upset at all! I appreciate your response :) I definitely struggle with stress eating if my stress level gets to high. I've made an appointment with a therapist (and a hypnotherapist) to get this in check. I wondered a lot if the hunger was not "real" but I get weird side effects like edgy-ness, slightly shaky, fatigue weakness if I'm not eating every few hours.

I also thought that the sleeve cut at the hunger hormone but it just isn't true for everyone. Hunger must not just be effected by Ghrelin.

Well, if it is working for you ...then why not? Maybe you should double check with your doctor though - and take some Vitamins or something? I guess the only advice I would add is to try to do some other things to jump start your weight loss in addition to phentermine. Perhaps increase your exercise or something. Definitely do what you are doing to deal with stress eating. That way, once you go off phentermine, you maybe can avoid regaining weight like before when you went off it. So, maybe try to make a lifestyle change while taking it and then ween yourself off slowly once you lose the weight.

The sleeve and the phentermine are just tools that buy a person time to deal with lifestyle and emotional stuff, I guess.

Edited by Travelmego

There are a lot of factors involved in hunger besides Ghrelin for sure. Other hormones and things (I know Leptin is one) in addition to the emotional triggers and such. It's super complicated.

I can believe Phen/Fen was that long ago!!! I feel so old! Yes there were some rare cases of a condition (primary pulmonary hypertension) with some people who took it that they never fully proved was due to the combination, but they took the Fenfleuramine off the market. So not sure I'd call it deadly. I used the combo and it was the only thing before this surgery that made me feel like my appetite and relationship with food was normal! I was very sad when they took it off the market. I would have rather taken the small risk of PPH than the huge risks associated with obesity!

Anyhow....I think if Phentermine works for you for the short term as another tool in your box, more power to you as long as your doctor is on board. It never worked for me by itself.

I had the same issue after the delivery of my first baby with CS. There are many side effects after taking the drug . It is quite alright that the pills worked i lost some weight butthei passed thorugh some side effects which got iusefulon this ites:sHE REi know you will find usefufointlhere too to help you.

Edited by Marymartins

3 minutes ago, Marymartins said:

I had the same issue after the delivery of my first baby with CS. There are many side effects after taking the drug . It is quite alright that the pills worked i lost some weight butthei passed thorugh some side effects which got iusefulon this ites:E REsHi know you will find usefufointlheretoo to help you.

3 minutes ago, Marymartins said:

I had the same issue after the delivery of my first baby with CS. There are many side effects after taking the drug . It is quite alright that the pills worked i lost some weight butthei passed thorugh some side effects which got iusefulon this ites:sHE REi know you will find usefufointlheretoo to help you.

http://phentermineusdirect.com/phentermine-37.5mg/

I have taken phentermine before so I am certainly not going to judge one on taking it - no worries there. , too, lost a lot of weight on it then gained it right back. I also have wondered about taking it post-op since I have a bunch left.
I am surprised your hunger remained the same. I thought the sleeve is supposed to remove the gherlin production so no way could it remain the same.

There are several hormones responsible for triggering hunger. Some people are no long hungry after surgery, some for just a while and some forever. Most people fall into the first category.

My hunger came back around 5 months, and my surgeon was hardly surprised.

To help control hunger is Protein

Yes, eating helps control hunger. Thank you for your contribution.

I lost 150 pounds after the sleeve surgery. Then I encountered some health complications (not sleeve related) in 2016. I wasn't able to exercise, had no energy, and wasn't really watching what I was eating. Because of that I "rebounded" about 30 pounds. I went back to the weight management clinic because I wanted to stop it before I regained any more. The doctor gave me a prescription of phentermine, and it "jump started" my weight loss. I was able to stop the regain and shed about 10 pounds that I had regained. I will say though, that I think the benefit for me was mostly mental. After a couple months I realized I really didn't feel any differently on the phentermine than off of it. I went off of it at that pont and lost the rest of my regain by going back to the bariatric diet strictly. Hope that helps!

I kept my hunger at bay with Protein. As soon as I slacked on that, I felt hungry and to be honest, when I lost 119, the hungry feeling was welcome, I knew I was not eating too much. It's natural and normal to feel some hungry.

I feel like a lot of people are not eating right, or have head hunger, or don't realize being hungry is a bit of a good sign.

I suggest OA for anyone who has head hunger.