Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme fatigue and low energy

I'm 1 week and 5 days post op. I have so little energy. I can hardly walk anywhere with out resting. Has anyone else had this? Any ideas how to over come?

Thank you,

Sherbear911

I had the same thing a week after my surgery. It takes time to get your strength back. I started drinking "smart water" that had electrolyte just like Gatorade does. That helped & also taking the Vitamins. Just make sure you get your Water intake in. I also made my Protein Shake with the chocolate premier, some ice, a scoop of SF low fat vanilla ice cream & a scoop of Peanut Butter in the blender. That was about all I could get down at first. I still have a problem with solids so I make that shake once a day. Hang in there I promise it will get better. I am 3 weeks post op now & feel great, you will do.

Are you on blood pressure meds? Just a thought. at my post op appointment with my surgeon at 10 days out, he actually cut my bp med down by 1/2. I couldn't believe my bp was only 100/68 ! WOW! Hoping this will give me a little bit more energy. Just make sure to let your doctor know how you are feeling, so they can look into it.

It took me MONTHS to get my energy back. I was asleep in my chair by 8pm most nights. For the first months I was taking almost a three hour nap during the day. Even after the Dr. said it was time to start walking, I didn't have the energy to do so. Now I'm almost 4 months out and I am walking 3-5 miles a day. I now have more energy than I have in DECADES. Give yourself time to heal. As my surgeon put it, this surgery is just under heart surgery in terms of extremes. You will take a long time heal due to the low calories.

Yes it also took me months to get my energy level back. About three months and I was pretty much back to normal

I'm 6 weeks post op as of today. I had my 1mo follow up this week, and I was told that it's usually 6-8 weeks before I'll have the kind of energy I need to work out the way I want to. I tried running on Monday and it just flat pooped me out after about 2-3 minutes. Thursday, I did a little work trimming bushes in the back yard... same thing... pooped me out!

I'm sure there's more I can do with my diet; making sure I'm getting more Protein and Water. It's much harder that I thought it would be to hit those Protein and Water goals....

I hear you. I'm two months out and feel much better. It has gotten better.

I'm 5 weeks post-op! I'm so tired all the time and have no energy. Last weeks i went for my 1 month follow up, the Dr. said that it's normal to feel that way and it's going to be a while longer before I have energy back. Only thing I can do is make sure I meet my Water and Protein goals, also started me on all the Vitamins. Hopefully that helps me cuz I go back to work in a couple of weeks.

It is very normal to feel weak and devoid of strength weeks after the surgery.Do try and follow the instructions given by your surgeon so as to get the maximum benefit and also take in the number of calories advised by the doctor.This will help you get your strength back faster than you would know.

I'm 1 week and 5 days post op. I have so little energy. I can hardly walk anywhere with out resting. Has anyone else had this? Any ideas how to over come?

Thank you,

Sherbear911

You are recovering from major surgery. Rest as needed and slowly increase activity as you recover. Rest assured that as you heal, and as you lose, you will feel better and better and better. :-)

You are very early post op, so fatigue would not be unusual. You were under anesthesia, and everyone recovers differently from this, so be patient and try to keep moving. You are also not eating a lot of calories. Your energy will come back.

I felt "normal " around the week 8 timeframe. I had very bad fatigue. My doc doubled my B12 dose to help.

I was very low energy for about 2-1/2 weeks but I also had a bout of pneumonia just after surgery that got me readmitted. Once I got on some pureed food with flavor, I started feeling a lot better and now 4 weeks out today I feel great. In the second and third week when I came back to work, I used the nursing mothers room in the early afternoon and caught a 30 minute nap on the couch and it made all the difference in the world being able to make it through the day.

It does get better!

I am 3 weeks out and exhausted after about 2 hours of light activity. I'm concerned about my return to work because I am on my feet for 8 hours a day. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I was hoping to feel back to normal where I know I can function. Maybe I'll just have to wait a while until I have a new normal

I'm 4 months out and incredibly flat.

I'm getting tests to see what's going on. I did have a bit of problems earlier on and had an Iron transfusion a few weeks back but it still hasn't done much...

You're frustration is completely understandable.