Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Manage Food Addictions Over the Holidays

The holidays remind us of family get-togethers sharing food, laughter and bonding. If you are a food addict, the holidays may be one big guilt ridden binge. Food addicts think about food and have memories of food too, but they will most likely be linked with memories of hiding food, being punished by withdrawal of food, or being abandoned from loving relationships and using food for comfort. This is one reason the holidays are so stressful for people who struggle with food addictions. The frenzy and excitement brings stress, and food addicts comfort and calm their stress with food.

Many people don’t understand the obese person’s journey with food. Nor can they relate to actually being under the influence of the intense food cravings, but ask any alcoholic or drug addict what these cravings feel like, and a food addict will be able to recount a very similar craving. The substance most craved with food addicts is sugar, and anyone who has tried to remove sugar from their diet knows how incredibly difficult that can be.

The majority of food addicts have been brought up with another addiction. Maybe their parents were alcoholics, abusive, gamblers, smokers or hoarders. The child learned it was safer to turn to food or some other substance for comfort, because turning to a human for a hug or soothing words was impossible. Many food addicts lose weight to get married, only to find that they don’t have the skills to communicate loneliness, boredom, or anxiety to their partner. They slowly begin to turn to what has helped soothe them in the past, which is food. Before long, communication is compromised in the relationship. There is severe weight gain, which begins a disastrous cycle of withdrawing from sex, and turning to food. Soon the partner isn’t happy and the food addict feels shameful and guilty. These feelings of guilt and shame lock the cycle of turning to food even more securely. Weight loss surgery can help minimize disease and help people become more confident and mobile, but if there is an underlying sugar or food addiction, the weight will be re-gained. Sometimes that is in excess of eighty pounds.

How can you help if you are addicted, married or know a food addict during the holidays? The key is to plan now.

1. Realize that your partner or friend has a bigger problem than just eating too much. They need professional help, and they need it now. Find out who is on your plan for insurance and what it allows for help with eating disorders.
  2. Begin journaling your intake and talk to your partner about journaling theirs as well. This helps you become a team and to feel supported.
  3. Encourage your partner to begin turning to you for comfort or if you are alone, have someone who can accompany you to the party. Stay close to them, and when you feel alone turn to them for conversation or hold their hand. This helps delay your sense of needing food.
  4. Help them join a food addiction group, and if they are your partner, go with them if they need your support. There are several in Houston, and “Over Eaters Anonymous” offers a 12-step program for food addicts.
  5. Your partner suffers shame and guilt every day. Try to remember this, and be gentle. There is a lot of secrecy in this disorder. If they let you in, respect that.

Food addicts are hurt, and we as a society can become part of the problem or part of the solution. Most addicts of food (and other addictions) have an enabler. The enabler complains about the behavior, but also supplies the fix. People who are co-dependent or have a low self-esteem may derive their security from enabling an addict. If you live with a food addict, or you suffer a food addiction, the best thing you can do prior to going to the party or being with friends where a lot of food will be present is to have a plan. Set a time limit for yourself at the party and have someone you are accountable to who helps you stay on track.

–Mary Jo Rapini

*As with all addictions, interventions only work if the addict wants to heal. Harping, nagging and pleading will be met with resistance to change until the addict is ready to make the change.

Just one comment here Mary Jo. A true food addict doesn't need to wait for a holiday. Believe me, I know.

"but if there is an underlying sugar or food addiction, the weight will be re-gained"

Well, not always, but it sure makes the journey a much bigger struggle. We see this here all the time. People falling off the wagon and then inquiring how to get back on? I seldom see where these addicts were given counseling prior to having the surgery but the patient goes through with WLS only to find the new panacea isn't a panacea at all.

tmf

@@Mary Jo Rapini very well said! As a food addict myself I actually now fear family functions because I know that everyone works hard to provide the delicious foods served and even home made from scratch sugary delicacies. I am 41 days sugar free (yes I count them like an alcoholic does, it works for me) but I will have something tomorrow which is when the family is doing the get-together. But I have already planned ahead and told my husband that all I'm allowed to have is anything I want but only about 1" x 1" which equates to probably 3 or so bites. NO MORE! I will also make sure my meal consists of very high Protein so the sugar won't spike in my blood causing the addictive chain reaction.

I love this article, I completely understand.

This strategy may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

I'm a sugar addict and just walking past a cake or donuts is enough to trigger my head hunger. When I'm in that type of situation, I try to fill up on Protein or low glycemic foods first. Then, if I still have that nagging desire to eat sugar and just can't resist, I allow myself about 1/2 of a 6 oz coffee cup of the treat.

Filling up on Protein and good carbs before eating sugary foods slows down the absorption of sugar and fills my stomach.

By the time the 4th of July rolls around I'll be on all real foods so this will be something that I'll need to watch I know. Thinking for sugar I'll look over some of George Stella Low Carb recipes know my grandkids won't know the difference if it's already made.

I am so glad to read this. More and more awareness is out there now about sugar addiction. It's like crack to some ppl. To me. I am sugar free as well. Since July 2013. I am a food addict and work a 12 step program. Sugar is my biggest trigger. Once I start I can't seem to stop. Very good article and thanks for writing it. I agree 100%.