Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am really scared that I won't lose anymore weight. I have lost 9 since surgery 2 weeks ago, which I know is good, but i still worry. I guess because every diet I have ever done didn't work long term.

Like I said I know this is prob irrational but does anyone out there feel that too?

Nine pounds in two weeks is pretty darn good! That's an average of 4-5 pounds per week. Don't compare yourself to others, don't dwell on past failures and just keep reminding yourself that you didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight, either.

You're doing great; be proud of yourself! :)

@meledl I'm preop so I can't speak from personal experience but from being on the boards and reading all I can to prepare, I can say what you are feeling is very common -- SO many people post that they worry about the exact same thing.

Hang in there and stick with the program -- you have a great tool to use now that will help you succeed when you didn't in the past.

There isn't a single one of us that doesn't understand your concern. But it is based on fear and fear is the enemy. Fear prevents you from taking action. Fear is what stops you and makes you weak. It is your will that turns your thoughts and desires into reality.

This surgery is not a "diet". Using past failures with dieting as some kind of foundation for predicting the future outcome of bariatric surgery is like saying you took an aspirin to heal a broken leg. After 25 aspirin didn't work, you're afraid your new cast will fail as well. A completely invalid comparison based on fear. Illogical and self-defeating. The reality is that you have no previous experience that has any relationship to the journey you are on now. None. Zero.

Trust your body and most importantly, trust the process. Follow your plan as closely to the letter as you possibly can. Stay positive. Stay patient. Maintain a food log. Exercise to your ability. Do those things and the weight will take care of itself. There is no doubt. The laws of science and the universe cannot be denied. Persistence, along with absolute belief, can never be defeated.

Relax and allow your new tool to do its job. Your goal is physical change but your challenge is mental discipline.

You're gonna love the new you!

Edited by DLCoggin

I have the same fears! I keep thinking I've already stretched my pouch because I feel hunger and I thought we weren't going to feel that anymore. I just ate and am still hungry. I should have stayed on soft foods. Could I have stretched already?

<p>I have the same fears! I keep thinking I've already stretched my pouch because I feel hunger and I thought we weren't going to feel that anymore. I just ate and am still hungry. I should have stayed on soft foods. Could I have stretched already?</p>

My fears exactly!!

The statistical incidence of stretching a pouch is, I believe, considerably less than most folks think. Does it happen - yes. Is it common - no. Even less likely within a few short weeks following surgery. And all but impossible as long as you're following your plan.

Your pouch contains stretch sensors (nerves) that are temporarily ineffective following surgery. As a result, your brain is not receiving "full" signals that will resume once those nerves are healed. That healing usually takes two to eight weeks. In the meantime, there is a rule that I have followed since my surgery to this day. I never eat less than two hours or more than four hours apart. Less than two hours is "head hunger". Fluids of just about any kind are an amazingly effective bridge between meals. My personal choice is Decaf coffee but there are any number of options. More than four hours and you run the risk of getting overly hungry which increases the risk of overeating.

You guys are doing absolutely great! Just a little case of post-op jitters. Perfectly normal and it will pass once you get a little more experience with your new tool. Great job and you ain't seen nothing yet!!

Thanks DL...Great advice. I feel a lot better!

I'm so glad I found this post. I too was having fears that my pouch had already stretched and was not working effectively. While I have been experiencing progress, I guess the ghosts of my past will haunt me forever. :unsure: