Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird respiratory illness

Flew back from Hawaii last night and " caught " something.

I am hoping that the symptoms might trigger a response from someone. I had to go to the ER late last night (2-5am) on way home from the airport because it got really bad pretty quickly. The reason I am asking you is because the ER doctor simply said I had "something", but didn't know what it was. I will be following up with the PCP in a couple days. In the meanwhile, I am resting and on Clear liquids today, but will switch to BRAT diet tomorrow for a couple days.

Symptoms:

*Severe respiratory issues

*Nausea- mostly dry heaved on way from airport to ER (45 min). My wife had said something came up that didn't look like food, but like lining. The heaving hurt. Ab region is still tender and achy.

*103 fever. It came down this morning.

* Tight chest

*Very, very cold. Like uncontrollable heavy shivering until ER started pumping me with meds and Water.

*Whole ab region aches. It is not pain, but is like a clench and uncomfortable, making sleep difficult. Back feels achy too, but is getting better today.

*very weak. Had trouble walking and needed wheelchair to get into ER. Legs and arms felt super heavy and just wanted to collapse . Gaining some strength back today, but still weak and tired.

*Elevated liver and kidney enzymes

*Amber (light brown with dark gold) urine despite having hydrated with two bags at ER and drinking water this morning.

As for the breathing, I had to REALLY focus on expanding my chest like my life depended on it. It was my single focus on way from airport ER because otherwise things would have deteriorated too early. I did lose feeling in my feet and hands, up my arms and legs, face was white, lips bluish. It took about 3 hours for fingers and toes to return to normal after arriving at ER. I still have a mild respiratory issue today, but it is not anything like last night.

Does this sound like a bad case of dehydration or something else? I felt fine until about 1 hour before landing when the chills and breathing issues started. I will see my PCP in a couple days, but I know we have a good set of knowledge here on BP. Thanks.

Flew back from Hawaii last night and " caught " something. I am hoping that the symptoms might trigger a response from someone. I had to go to the ER late last night (2-5am) on way home from the airport because it got really bad pretty quickly. The reason I am asking you is because the ER doctor simply said I had "something", but didn't know what it was. I will be following up with the PCP in a couple days. In the meanwhile, I am resting and on Clear Liquids today, but will switch to BRAT diet tomorrow for a couple days. Symptoms: *Severe respiratory issues *Nausea- mostly dry heaved on way from airport to ER (45 min). My wife had said something came up that didn't look like food, but like lining. The heaving hurt. Ab region is still tender and achy. *103 fever. It came down this morning. * Tight chest *Very, very cold. Like uncontrollable heavy shivering until ER started pumping me with meds and Water. *Whole ab region aches. It is not pain, but is like a clench and uncomfortable, making sleep difficult. Back feels achy too, but is getting better today. *very weak. Had trouble walking and needed wheelchair to get into ER. Legs and arms felt super heavy and just wanted to collapse . Gaining some strength back today, but still weak and tired. *Elevated liver and kidney enzymes *Amber (light brown with dark gold) urine despite having hydrated with two bags at ER and drinking water this morning. As for the breathing, I had to REALLY focus on expanding my chest like my life depended on it. It was my single focus on way from airport ER because otherwise things would have deteriorated too early. I did lose feeling in my feet and hands, up my arms and legs, face was white, lips bluish. It took about 3 hours for fingers and toes to return to normal after arriving at ER. I still have a mild respiratory issue today, but it is not anything like last night. Does this sound like a bad case of dehydration or something else? I felt fine until about 1 hour before landing when the chills and breathing issues started. I will see my PCP in a couple days, but I know we have a good set of knowledge here on BP. Thanks.

Not wanting to scare anyone but did they test for MERS, Fiddleman?

Weird respiratory illness

@@Fiddleman

sorry bud - no constructive help here :blink:

hope your issues are resolved sooner than later

feel better :)

take care

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

You may be somewhat dehydrated but that did NOT cause all those symptoms. Def force fluids and BRAT diet sounds good until you see your doc. Best of luck! Keep us updated!

Flew back from Hawaii last night and " caught " something. I am hoping that the symptoms might trigger a response from someone. I had to go to the ER late last night (2-5am) on way home from the airport because it got really bad pretty quickly. The reason I am asking you is because the ER doctor simply said I had "something", but didn't know what it was. I will be following up with the PCP in a couple days. In the meanwhile, I am resting and on clear liquids today, but will switch to BRAT diet tomorrow for a couple days. Symptoms: *Severe respiratory issues *Nausea- mostly dry heaved on way from airport to ER (45 min). My wife had said something came up that didn't look like food, but like lining. The heaving hurt. Ab region is still tender and achy. *103 fever. It came down this morning. * Tight chest *Very, very cold. Like uncontrollable heavy shivering until ER started pumping me with meds and Water. *Whole ab region aches. It is not pain, but is like a clench and uncomfortable, making sleep difficult. Back feels achy too, but is getting better today. *very weak. Had trouble walking and needed wheelchair to get into ER. Legs and arms felt super heavy and just wanted to collapse . Gaining some strength back today, but still weak and tired. *Elevated liver and kidney enzymes *Amber (light brown with dark gold) urine despite having hydrated with two bags at ER and drinking Water this morning. As for the breathing, I had to REALLY focus on expanding my chest like my life depended on it. It was my single focus on way from airport ER because otherwise things would have deteriorated too early. I did lose feeling in my feet and hands, up my arms and legs, face was white, lips bluish. It took about 3 hours for fingers and toes to return to normal after arriving at ER. I still have a mild respiratory issue today, but it is not anything like last night. Does this sound like a bad case of dehydration or something else? I felt fine until about 1 hour before landing when the chills and breathing issues started. I will see my PCP in a couple days, but I know we have a good set of knowledge here on BP. Thanks.

I was just thinking the same thing. There was someone who tested positive for this in Chicago, I think. "They" are saying this is a new serious thing going around.

The symptoms do certainly match, and it was my thought too, but I think they would have told me considering the current risk patterns in the news. The doctor essentially said I had "something" ( to give her credit, she also said it was a virus), but did not know what it was. We did blood work, EKG, X-rays of abdominal area and chest area as well as monitor the vitals. Forgot to mention that my BP shot up to 200 / 110 when they took it on my arrival where it is normally 110 /70. It dropped to 135 / 65 by the time I left, but that is still pretty high for me (when looking at the last year).

The symptoms do certainly match, and it was my thought too, but I think they would have told me considering the current risk patterns in the news. The doctor essentially said I had "something" ( to give her credit, she also said it was a virus), but did not know what it was. We did blood work, EKG, X-rays of abdominal area and chest area as well as monitor the vitals. Forgot to mention that my BP shot up to 200 / 110 when they took it on my arrival where it is normally 110 /70. It dropped to 135 / 65 by the time I left, but that is still pretty high for me (when looking at the last year).

Don't take any chances, Fiddle, keep a close watch on any changes and get back to ER if necessary! Prayers for your healing.

I am absolutely APPALLED that they didn't admit you...?!?!? WTAF?! You can't breathe to the point you're turning blue and your BP is 200/110 and they're all, oh, it's a virus, go on home now. UNBELIEVABLE. That BP alone is total stroke territory and let's hope the respiratory problems didn't cause any heart damage, let alone dangerously low oxygen levels per se, and obvious need for respiratory support. I'm beside myself, seriously. And a 103 fever for an adult is major. My god. I'm hoping you're okay, but that is malpractice in my book.

It does indeed sound like MERS or a very bad influenza. I guess they're also not concerned about quarantining you for the sake of public health, either. Did they Rx you an antiviral in any case? Or test for what it was?

I am completely losing my head over this. What is healthcare like in the US these days?!

My thoughts are with you and I hope you feel better soon.

I am absolutely APPALLED that they didn't admit you...?!?!? WTAF?! You can't breathe to the point you're turning blue and your BP is 200/110 and they're all, oh, it's a virus, go on home now. UNBELIEVABLE. That BP alone is total stroke territory and let's hope the respiratory problems didn't cause any heart damage, let alone dangerously low oxygen levels per se, and obvious need for respiratory support. I'm beside myself, seriously. And a 103 fever for an adult is major. My god. I'm hoping you're okay, but that is malpractice in my book. It does indeed sound like MERS or a very bad influenza. I guess they're also not concerned about quarantining you for the sake of public health, either. Did they Rx you an antiviral in any case? Or test for what it was? I am completely losing my head over this. What is healthcare like in the US these days?!

We are mainly our way to socialized medicine here in the States and the prodicols have changed drastically. For example, my husband is type two diabetic. 120 has been goal BS for years. They just upped to 140. I asked him why. He said he was told it would be EASIER for people to maintain! What?! Nope, because it's less meds tans testing that the system will have to provide. I was floored.

Again, FM, hope you are doing better quickly. For SURE, don't get into strenuous exercising right now.

I am absolutely APPALLED that they didn't admit you...?!?!? WTAF?! You can't breathe to the point you're turning blue and your BP is 200/110 and they're all, oh, it's a virus, go on home now. UNBELIEVABLE. That BP alone is total stroke territory and let's hope the respiratory problems didn't cause any heart damage, let alone dangerously low oxygen levels per se, and obvious need for respiratory support. I'm beside myself, seriously. And a 103 fever for an adult is major. My god. I'm hoping you're okay, but that is malpractice in my book. It does indeed sound like MERS or a very bad influenza. I guess they're also not concerned about quarantining you for the sake of public health, either. Did they Rx you an antiviral in any case? Or test for what it was? I am completely losing my head over this. What is healthcare like in the US these days?!

It was a little terrifying at the time. Kind of like an episode of grays anatomy with all the people surrounding my bed, needles being jabbed in my arms and hands, equipment beeping frantically. I heard one of the ER guys say I was "pretty bad" in the middle of all the action when my wife asked.

They gave me a script for anti nausea medication, but that is it. Strange how I did not get an antiviral script. I think my body is still fighting the virus because I had another fever last night and then went on to drench the sheets when it broke. Liver and/or kidneys must still be problematic because urine is still wrong color even though I am drinking Water (or I am still dehydrated). Some ache on lower left back. Breathing is ok today, but still kind of shallow. Circulation is still poor on hands and toes (they are cold).

Since I arrived home after ER, I've been in bed feeling like an invalid and eating very little. This is a turn from my usual 1800 calories a day. Also being on the BRAT diet is weird for me because I have been all about high Protein and complex carbs for so long. Since my calories are so low (think it is around 500 a day), I am dropping weight because not hungry and abdominal region still does not feel right (sort of an achy feeling). Not as planned, but I will take the weight loss as long as it doesn't drop too much. I am already at around mid bmi weight and do not want to lose muscle (worked hard for a long time - many months - building it up).

Fiddle, give your pcp a little push to be seen tomorrow. Being an ER nurse for almost 20 years I could explain the whys and hows of what the ER does and doesn't do. This isn't the time or place. Keep hydrating through tonight and make sure you get an appt tomorrow. Best wishes.

I agree, please don't wait any longer as this sounds like something that could become very dangerous. I know someone personally that recently died from the flu at the age of only 52.

Not to scare you but he sought care (at an urgent care facility) a couple of days before his death and was told it is not the flu and was not given the antiviral medicine either.

Fiddleman, how are you?

Fiddleman, how are you?

Respiratory issues are gone, but really tired all the time and body aches. I just want to sleep all the time. Threw up a couple times yesterday and still can't hold food that well today without getting nausea.