Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

best protein shakes rtd/ powders ect.....

I'm having my surgery within the next two months and trying to get things stocked up so I'm thinking of writing the companies to get samples of stuff to try . what are your favorites? Who makes it and where do you get it? Thanks in advance!

Definitely Premier Protein shakes. They have plenty of Protein (30grams) and very low carbs (I think about 4grams). I get them at costco, bjs, or Walmart. They don't have a chalky taste, they're pretty thick in texture (like a real milkshake I guess).

When i was looking I found one that has 50 grams of protein!

Edited by skinniminiwannabe

Celebrate shakes in amason r very good taste great and have vitmins included or go to celebrate .com enjoy

I just ordered sample packs from both syntax and chike. Injury has a sample pack as well (I wasn't a fan of their shakes pre-surgery and haven't had a chance to try them post-surgery yet)

I just ordered sample packs from both syntax and chike. Injury has a sample pack as well (I wasn't a fan of their shakes pre-surgery and haven't had a chance to try them post-surgery yet)

I just made a post about this elsewhere yesterday, but I'll just copy/paste most of it here too since I'm just so thrilled about this discovery: pumpkin seed Protein. It has all the essential amino acids to make it a complete protein (plus most of the non-essential ones as well). Per 100g it has 63g of protein, 6.7g of fat (but it's good fat, including the ever important omegas), and 10g of carbs (all 10 of which are fiber!). And the best part is, it doesn't really taste like protein! It just tastes kinda "green." It's nice, sort of smokey. I've been putting it everything savory: Soup, Salad Dressing, stir-fry, salsa, hummus, etc. I love it! It was a little expensive, but totally worth it. The company is called "Sun & Seed" (though I believe other organic food companies in the US make something similar). They have a website, but it looks like it might be under construction (sunandseed.com). It seems like they're a UK company though, so I don't know how the availability of this specific brand would be in the US. All I can say is, I really, really recommend it, not just for vegans, but for anyone getting sick of the taste of other protein powders.< /p>

I'm lazy so I'm just going to link to my most recent post on this. I listed my favorite brands and linked where to buy samples of each. Good luck!

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/307990-need-names-of-good-protein-powder/?p=3476426

I just made a post about this elsewhere yesterday, but I'll just copy/paste most of it here too since I'm just so thrilled about this discovery: pumpkin seed Protein. It has all the essential amino acids to make it a complete Protein (plus most of the non-essential ones as well). Per 100g it has 63g of protein, 6.7g of fat (but it's good fat, including the ever important omegas), and 10g of carbs (all 10 of which are fiber!). And the best part is, it doesn't really taste like protein! It just tastes kinda "green." It's nice, sort of smokey. I've been putting it everything savory: Soup, salad dressing, stir-fry, salsa, hummus, etc. I love it! It was a little expensive, but totally worth it. The company is called "Sun & Seed" (though I believe other organic food companies in the US make something similar). They have a website, but it looks like it might be under construction (sunandseed.com). It seems like they're a UK company though, so I don't know how the availability of this specific brand would be in the US. All I can say is, I really, really recommend it, not just for vegans, but for anyone getting sick of the taste of other protein powders.< /p>

Interesting! Thanks! By the way, you said you put it in Soups, does it not get clumped up like the unjury if the heat is too high?

I only drink Ensure Hi-Protein shakes. The milk chocolate flavor tastes just like chocolate milk. Smooth (no grittiness), no after-taste, pre-mixed, 210 cal., 25g Protein, 2.5g fat and only 5g sugar in one bottle. I drink one for Breakfast or lunch every day. Wish I would have known about them when I was in the liquid stage. You can get them at most pharmacies and grocery stores. They come in a 4 pack for 8.99-10.99 depending on where you get them. I like them because I just grab and go, no mixing or clean-up required.

Just a few quick comments--

1) Premier Protein ready-to-drink liquid (mentioned above) seems to be very popular among many WLSers. It also comes in a powder that you mix with Water or other liquid of your choice. Sam's Club also carries it.

2) nectar by Syntrax (whey Protein isolate) powder. Go to syntrax.com for individual sample packets (about $15?). A lot of people seem to like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury because they make an unflavored Protein Powder. Go to unjury.com.

3) Most bari programs recommend your protein supplement, especially during your first 6 mo-1 year, come from whey protein and/or whey protein isolate (this is not a brand name--is it the KIND of protein). It is the best high-quality protein. If you're unsure which kind of protein your surgeon recommends, be sure to ask before you invest the big $$$$.

4) Our bodies cannot absorb more than about 30gm of protein at any one time. So be wary of the protein drinks/powders out there that are way more than that per serving because you will just be peeing out anything over 30 gm.

A bit of friendly advice--eon't buy A LOT of anything for now. Many people experience BIG changes in taste after surgery. What tastes good now may be gross-tasting to you after surgery. But also, if you're trying something you never tasted before right after your surgery and you HATE IT, hang on, 'cuz you might grow to LOVE IT in a week or two! Very strange, but true.

Good luck. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with all the protein supplement choices. There's lots. You'll find what works for you. . .

@@EarthyGoalie, I don't add it to the Soup on the stove (though the package says it can be used in falafel, so the heat might actually be ok). I usually just add 15g or so to the serving I'm gonna eat once it's cooled down so it won't burn my mouth. It clumps a little bit, but not like whey Protein. I've been adding it mostly to pureed Soups though (lentil, Tomato, split pea, etc), and I don't know how it would fair in something brothier. Yesterday I knew I was going to a Turkish restaurant for dinner, and knew I would have lentil Soup, so I just brought some in a little tupperware and added it at the table. I had to use a fork to really whisk it, but it wasn't lumpy at all. I would also say that since the taste isn't so "protein-y," when I have had a bit of a clump on my spoon, it hasn't turned me off. It's more akin to getting a mouthful of something where a certain spice has clumped up a bit.

@@EarthyGoalie, I don't add it to the Soup on the stove (though the package says it can be used in falafel, so the heat might actually be ok). I usually just add 15g or so to the serving I'm gonna eat once it's cooled down so it won't burn my mouth. It clumps a little bit, but not like whey Protein. I've been adding it mostly to pureed Soups though (lentil, Tomato, split pea, etc), and I don't know how it would fair in something brothier. Yesterday I knew I was going to a Turkish restaurant for dinner, and knew I would have lentil soup, so I just brought some in a little tupperware and added it at the table. I had to use a fork to really whisk it, but it wasn't lumpy at all. I would also say that since the taste isn't so "protein-y," when I have had a bit of a clump on my spoon, it hasn't turned me off. It's more akin to getting a mouthful of something where a certain spice has clumped up a bit.

Thanks. I will try and see if I can order it to Florida!