Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

if band has slipped...

Hi all!! Quick question...what can I expect if my band has slipped or is corroded? If it has slipped, will they reposition? If corroded...they would remove it? If they remove would it be replaced? Thanks for the information! :)

Bands don't corrode. Slipped bands can be removed, repositioned, have saline removed and hope the band returns to it's position. Why worry about it?

Maybe the poster means "eroded" and not "corroded"? (Can you imagine a band that corrodes? Lordy!)

Erosion would mean surgical removal, as the band would have become embedded into the stomach.

your doctor is the one who can tell you if your band has an issue

the best answer is to refer to them if you are concerned...

Coolio. Not worried...just wondered because I didn't know. The question was asked of me and I thought ... hmmmm I have no idea how that works.

As always...I appreciate the input!!

Just verified that if it has slipped...they will deflate and wait a month. Will take a swallow test this Wednesday. I feel bettah now :)

mine slipped we just unfilled it and it went back in place in a few weeks got refilled

Thank you for answering!! THAT is EXACTLY what I wanted to know :) Perfect!!

I see this was discussed a month ago but I wanted to share...

I got the band in May, 2011. In November, 2012, I was experiencing some back pain that would not let up. I was still able to work (I'm a nurse) but laying down/sleeping has hard. I bought two different types of back massagers and a memory foam topper for my bed with very little improvement. Then right after Christmas I developed some terrible reflux that wouldn't go away. I tried every OTC antacid available. Even got to the point that I was drinking Maalox more than I should have because the reflux was so bad. After a week of this, I saw my surgeon. I told him about the reflux and casually mentioned the back pain, having no clue about the correlation, and he scheduled a swallow X-ray for the next day. Before I left from the surgeons office, he took out the saline from the band. That felt quite a bit better. I had the X-ray and sure enough, clear as day, the band had slipped. Actually, it had slipped to the point a little pouch was created and that's why I was having such awful reflux. A week later, I was in the OR to have the band released, not removed. In March of that same year, the surgeon reattached the band and added sutures. So far, no more issues of back pain and reflux. I had no idea the back pain was the first sign of my band slipping. But not everyone's symptoms will be the same.