Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed Lapband Patient

Unfortunately, I don't think her attitude is going to do her 2nd surgery any better than her first surgery. I was especially bothered by the mention that her tooth enamel is all gone based on food getting stuck; my PB's don't have stomach acid in them...

"If you can out-eat a lap band, you can out-eat gastric bypass surgery" I agree with this completely. It's all the same issue; not being ready to make the changes you need to make to succeed. I'm not faulting her for not being ready, it's likely that she wasn't fully informed, or, like I think happens to alot of us, was concentrated on the good details of the surgery. She possibly didn't KNOW all the changes she was going to have to make... what bothers me about the whole thing is that her new doctor has probably not 'enlightened' her anymore on the surgery she's about to undergo.

'Failing' at a surgery is not any more or less our 'fault' than getting fat in the first place... but I think we do need to realize our part in both.

I was not trying to attack the girl in the video, I just think that there must have been some problem with the band being too tight or something if she was throwing up all the time. And if the enamel on her teeth is gone, she had to have been throwing up, not just PBing. I just wonder if she went back and talked to her surgeon about that, because I am sure he would agree that it is not normal. I'm not attacking her for failing at weight loss, I just think people really need to be completely informed before making this big decision because it is not the quick fix that some people think it is. Sorry if I sounded too critical--I didn't mean it that way.

I don't like the thought of this doc using YOUTUBE as a infomerical. I was not support by stats or facts only the experience of this one patient. I too think this is a HIPAA violation. But most of all to someone who was banded 4 days ago it gave me incentive to make sure I stick to the program, listen to my doc, get fills when needed, exercise etc. I did notice she said she only ate crap. Well you see the results. She is now 65lbs heavier then prior to lapband. I would love to see a video on how she is doing on gastric bypass. Believe I don't believe bypass is better or worse than lap band. My brother had bypass year ago and down 150lbs. I think every person has to do the research and pick what is best for them. Then follow the rules. Both procedures are great tools only.

It seems to me if you can get a chip down you can certainly get fruit and veggies down unless she is only eating cheetos! My doctor said that one of the things you have to be ready to give up was Ice-cream. He said it goes through the band to easy and all that milk and sugar is whats going to make you fail. Obviously she wasn't ready to change anything about her eating style.

I did go to the docs utube talk on what the doctors in Europe are doing now. He says down the road 10 years they are finding that the complications from the band are esculating. He said that docs in Europe were going back to gastric bypass. Does anyone have info to the contrary? I would really like to read it.

There are a number of folks from Europe and Australia on here, and I haven't heard anything like that (not that this is the only place it would come up, but still)

MAybe it is just me but any doctor that has to advertise on youtube seems to snarky for me to want to trust.

I agree with you EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell was he thinking??

That video is ridiculous. She is not taking responsibility for what she puts in her mouth. She is looking for the easy way out.

I have gained some of mine back and I take complete responsibility. Nobody held a gun to my head screaming "eat!". I did it of my own accord.

I have a friend who I love dearly and she had the DS done. She lost 140 pounds and can eat *anything* and not gain...but, that is because the DS is based on malabsorption. And, while she has had no weight gain in five years, she is so severely anemic that she has to have IV ferrous sulfate pumped into her every single week for the next two months! And, was told last week, she will need this about once every 2-3 months for the rest of her life.

Is that common then to have absorption problems with the sleeve? Has anyone else heard of problems wth the sleeve? I can't imagine being anemic all the time and having an IV every few months. It seems like the head issues are the real demons here that we have to fight. Any ideas on fixing whats in your head?

MAybe it is just me but any doctor that has to advertise on youtube seems to snarky for me to want to trust.

Amen to that!

This video freaks me out, cuz I'm like thinking, I sure don't want this to be me!! I feel like I am motivated, but I am second guessing myself I think because I have failed so many times in the past. The last 2 months all I have done is eat EAT EAT and I am not even approved for surgery!! But I really feel like I am a good candidate because I am so tired of feeling so tired and unhealthy. And by the way, my mom works for a medical billing company and this video is a violation of HIPPA.

Peace Out!!

T~:hippie:

Is that common then to have absorption problems with the sleeve? Has anyone else heard of problems wth the sleeve? I can't imagine being anemic all the time and having an IV every few months. It seems like the head issues are the real demons here that we have to fight. Any ideas on fixing whats in your head?

Is the sleeve another name for Duodoneal Switch?

According to my friend, her doctor warned her this could happen. He told her that 30% have this happen. He knew she had past problems with anemia when she was pregnant and he still did the surgery anyway. She has since found out that it's more like 50%-60% have anemia after surgery.

Before seeing the hematologist, they had tried pills, liquid ferrous sulfate, shots and twice, she had blood transfusions. Finally, they sent her to the hematologist and he started doing the IVs.

She regrets having the DS and wishes she had had the band instead.:eek:

Why might it be a HIPPA violation? Curious...

My sadness for this patient is that in her desparation, she is now immortalized saying those things, and someday when she is older and more mature, she may be really embarrassed. It's kind of the bariatric equivalent of filming drink Girls Gone wild.

Tanderson - When I first decided to do this after my seminar on lap bands I had a 'eat before you can't anymore' mentality. I put on 10 pounds in about two weeks and freaked myself out. Now I know I start Clear Liquids in two weeks for pre-op and I started walking, watching junk food, and eating good food that is healthy. The ten pounds are off and I hope to have some more off before pre-op. I think a lot of us had the same reaction as you. It's time to get your head in the game! Good luck!

How bout on a positive note....this girl did it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7I1hS4OsyI]YouTube - My WLS Journey - Lap Band[/ame]