Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nerves in full effect. 3 days until surgery.

Hi everyone. New here. Just thought I would check it out to try to calm my nerves. Reading everyone's posts is very encouraging and glad I found this.

My surgery is Tuesday May 20th and I am having a sleeve done. I have a hernia that occupies 80% of my abdomen leaving my bowel exposed. So they aren't sure if they can do it laparoscopic and are concerned with puncturing the bowel. I have had an ileostomy before and NOT FUN! I do not want to wake up with another. So I guess the majority of the fear is not knowing what I'm going to wake up with at this point.

It is good to know there is support on here. Almost everyone is in fear of what's to come and it's great to read others experiences and kind of get an idea. I hope mine will also help anyone who may be in a similar situation. :)

Lanadl. Welcome to the Bp support group. Yes I remember that 5 months ago I was in the same situation as you.. Scared and anxious before the surgery. It is certainly normal to feel that way. In the meantime, keep your body and mind busy. Start reading a good book, go to the mall and check out the fashions that you want to get into as you lose weight, enjoy the nice weather that we are having, get your house and supplies ready so that when you come home from surgery you will have at least two weeks of drinks/soft foods readily available.

I can say that I have on egrets having the surgery. My hunger pangs have reduced so much, I can't eat like I used to, I don't make food my best friend when I am anxious or tired. After one week of my surgery, I literally was mourning the lost of my best friend. It hit me like a brick wall. But, you know what , ii survived my mourning, feeling so positive and energetic, off of my Bp meds, feeling light on my feet, learned how to swim within the last couple of months by taking lessons, feeling more confident, looking younger.. Dream about how your life will change as you lose your weight.

Keep,us posted on your progress.. We are here to help.

Thank you Carlotta1. I will be certain to do that. I know what you mean about mourning, I have been a bit sad about it myself. But I have been focusing on new foods, new recipes and both my children are on board and ready to try new things. Everyone has been pretty supportive so I know it will be some work but I'm willing to do it. I'm pretty focused and excited about my new life. :)

I understand I have my surgery on May 22 so im 5 days out. My nerves and my anxiety levels have been very high. I was told at my last Dr's visit to watch how much im losing because I have to stay above 35 BMI or I can't have the surgery and I'm really close at 36 BMI so I have that to stress me out to. I think everything well be much better losing the rest of my weight.

I had a problem losing. Well not so much a problem. I was steady losing 2 lbs a day for 5 days, then just stopped losing for about 4 or 5 days. I haven't even been eating all of the things allowed on the diet. I did start losing again but was very confused as to why I lost nothing for those few days. I just can't wait to get the surgery and that first week over. The anxiety of what's to come and the not knowing for sure what's going to happen during surgery, really has me a mess. I keep trying to stay occupied, but my mind is constantly wandering towards it. My jaw and temples hurt a bit from clenching. Just a few more days. Phew. :/

I totally know how you feel. I was sleeved on 4/25/14 and 7 days before my procedure my anxiety started going crazy. I couldn't sleep, I was moody & I began to fear the same surgery that I'd been looking forward to for months. I also had a large hernia that I was scared wld cause a problem. I would stay up all night imagining all the things that could go wrong & try to predict how I would be feeling when I awoke from anesthesia..

Try to pray/meditate. Bc the worrying & anxiousness will only rob you of the true excitement of your new Beginning❤️❤️.

Perfect reply!!!

I totally know how you feel. I was sleeved on 4/25/14 and 7 days before my procedure my anxiety started going crazy. I couldn't sleep, I was moody & I began to fear the same surgery that I'd been looking forward to for months. I also had a large hernia that I was scared wld cause a problem. I would stay up all night imagining all the things that could go wrong & try to predict how I would be feeling when I awoke from anesthesia..

Try to pray/meditate. Bc the worrying & anxiousness will only rob you of the true excitement of your new Beginning❤️❤️.

Just make sure you put a roll or 2 of quarters in your pockets when they are ready weigh you. Seriously no need to stress about it. It won't do any good anyway and Always works out for your good anyway!!

I understand I have my surgery on May 22 so im 5 days out. My nerves and my anxiety levels have been very high. I was told at my last Dr's visit to watch how much im losing because I have to stay above 35 BMI or I can't have the surgery and I'm really close at 36 BMI so I have that to stress me out to. I think everything well be much better losing the rest of my weight.

Hi! I was sleeved 05/14 and, other than a sore abdomen, I feel really good! This was my first surgery to ever and I was lucky to have amazing nurses to take care of me. These past couple of days have been hard as my sister graduated from college and, of course, there was celebration food. I sat at the table with my Water watching everyone eat steak, seafood, pizza, and Desserts. I felt sad for a minute but I was more happy about the occasion and being with my family. I will not let food control me anymore. Things are tough right now but I'm confident that it'll be easier. I want a healthy body so bad that a couple of weeks of suffering shouldn't be so terrible. I'm following orders of drinking lots of water and walking around. Walking after the first couple of hours is so important. He helped me feel better and relieve all that extra air that was inside of me quicker. Good luck and God bless!