Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Soft food phase diet

So I am officially on the "mash things with a fork" phase and my handout from my doctor was very vague on this phase. So what should I eat? What should I stay from? On the list was low fat casseroles... And I found a low fat tuna casserole with whole wheat noodles, and low fat, and low sodium ingredients, would this be okay??? I'm slightly freaking out because I don't want to go backwards in this phase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't eat noodles yet. You can have pastina,cottage cheese, creamed spinach,cream Soups, grits,protein shakes, apple sauce. Refried Beans, cream of wheat. I mixed the creamed spinach with the scrambled eggs. I also baked a lot of potatoes to make mashed potatoes. I just started phase 3 where they introduce like chicken and tuna salad. I made meatballs in my oven during this phase. I also got a nice piece of Cod and baked it in my oven. I added cheese to my refined beans this stage too. I hope I helped some :)

You do not say when you had surgery. At 6 months post op my husband and I eat 1 boiled egg or 1 scrambled egg and cannot add anything extra because that fills us up. I would never make a casserole for the two of us and we steer clear of any kind of potato or Pasta, and bread, because we do not want to go back to gaining weight. At 5 weeks post op I choked terribly on a small piece of soft crockpot chicken (thought I was having a heart attack), so went two more weeks on soft foods. We have kept our meals simple. No fuss. Tonight we shared ONE Chic-Fil-A asian salad, and could only eat half. I recommend eating a slow, small amount of anything, and see how full you get really fast. I would eat about 2-3 level T. refried Beans, with melted Laughing Cow cheese melted, very filling. At 3 months I was told I was eating too much Protein and I started substituting more soft veggies, especially zucchini. I did try the turkey meatballs, with a little sauce (barbecue) because dry meats might tend to stick in your chest. You could add a little mushroom Soup to simmer them in, with some Worcestershire sauce or spices you like. I relied on a small yogurt every day for Breakfast (less than 13 grams of sugar), no lunch, and dinner has always been very light and uncomplicated. BTW, I think my first favorite "food" was a lowfat turkey chili I made for Christmas, as I was craving something a little spicy. Had no problem with that. Best of luck!

Edited by LindafromFlorida

Soft food phase. I was told anything that plops..like applesauce, puddings, whipped potatoes with extra milk, Jello, baby foods, pureed veggies or Proteins that could be mushed . I had lots of difficulty in the third week to eat soft foods. So I went back to liquids till my body could take the "plopped" foods. By week 6 I could eat about anything..chicken, meat, etc

I'm 3 weeks post op. And I know most of it is mental. My mind thinks I should still be eating what I ate before, and doesn't think that little bit will fill me up. So I've got to work on that.

I've been eating nothing but talipia, and trying 3 oz of tuna with 2 teaspoons of light mayo today, along with 1 1/2 oz of baked Beans for lunch. I've just become worried because I see most people say that they are full after 5 or 6 bites of whatever they are eating, and that's not the case for me. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I am not sure when you had your surgery, but if you are concerned about the comparable amounts you are eating I would call and talk with your nutritionist.