Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could vitamins be making me nauseous

Hi everyone, I was sleeved exactly 5 weeks ago. I was told to start taking a Multivitamin 1 month post-op. Ever since I started, I have been feeling nauseous. I take one Centrum (it's pretty big, gotta cut it in half or even in 4). It seems like I was doing well until I started taking it. Has this happened to anybody else?

Does it have Iron in it? That's likely to be the culprit. Taking Multivitamins and minerals on an empty stomach were the only things that made me vomit in my first year.

Yes it does have Iron, 10 mg. I hope I get used to them soon, it's no fun feeling nauseous. Thanks for sharing, it's always good to hear that someone else has been through it.

I actually had to stop taking my multivitamin, because every time I took them, I would get violently nauseous and throw up. I thought maybe waiting a month or two before starting them again would help, but when I retried taking the multivitamin, I still got sick even several months out from surgery. I've been meaning to try the Gummy bear Vitamins, but haven't gotten them yet.

Hi @@shelly75 - Perhaps your stomach is not quite ready for the regular large pills. Most post ops will use chewables for the first few months, and I also had to sip it down with a Protein shake. Vitamins and minerals as well as Iron are quite hard on the stomach. Bariatric Advantage has a lot of chews, or try finding some bariatric Vitamin chews at places such as costco or Sam's Club. Best!

I take Bariatric Advantage Vitamins and if I take them on an empty stomach, they make me a little nauseus. My doc said this is normal. (the Vitamins are seriously the only thing that bothers my sleeve of steel!)

So, I take the Vitamin with my shake or meal and I feel OK.

I'm five weeks out too and have been so nauseated today. I've been taking my Vitamins since surgery so I know it's not that. I did have some tea with "sweet and low" today instead of sugar and I'm thinking that may be it. It's been hours tho and I'm still feeling it :/

I take my pre-natal Vitamin along with b-12 first thing in the morning, hit the shower than mix up some ice tea, it's almost always after I take my first sip of tea that I get nauseous...but it goes away quickly.

Thank you all for replying. I will try to take them after a meal tomorrow. Hopefully it will help.

Silly question, but how do you take them with/after a meal when you have to wait 1/2 hour to drink?

I always take my Vitamins right when I wake up then start cooking my breakfast, so I probably wait about 15 minutes before eating. I'm 19 months out and don't wait to eat after drinking. I still wait 30 minutes after I eat to drink anything though.

But definitely taking Vitamins on an empty stomach will make you nauseous.

kpay10, I usually take them in the afternoon after my snack, which is usually cottage cheese. I

take them with Water. I did call the hospital today and was told to stop them for 3 days so that

we can see if it is the Vitamins doing this or something else. I hope we figure it out soon

because nausea was my biggest fear before surgery, I'd rather have really bad stomach cramps than

nausea, just can't stand it. Thanks so much to everyone for caring. I'd be lost without this group.

I've been having some nausea, too, especially after dinner. I didn't take my Vitamins today, either, because I wanted to see how I felt. I'm still nauseous after dinner tonight, though. Wish I knew what this was! My daughter suggested eating lighter in the evening (maybe having my Protein Shake for dinner instead of breakfast). I might try that tomorrow. If it weren't for this nausea I'd be doing great!!