Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am So Angry When People Think Surgery Is The Easy Option!

Lap Band Surgery for me....has done everything I tried, and could not do on my own....some people have the will power and determination to diet successfully....everytime I tried, I was successful for a while, then gain it all back, and then some....

Ok, so instead of doing it myself, I needed surgery....

EASY??? So What? I don't mind....What does it matter? As long as it works for me, and it did. That is all that matters.

I don't care if it's easy...where would these people be if I chose to stay obese, facing multiple life threatening medical problems...Literally!....would that have made them happy?

I did what I did to rectify a serious health issue....it was a last resort, but I have to say it was the best resort.....only wish I did it sooner.

All around me at the office or in the Hospital, I hear people constantly talking about loosing a few pounds...have you heard about this new fad diet???....summer is coming after all.....got to look good in that new bathing suit....They're Obsessed!!! Every year it's the same thing over and over again.

I just have to smile to myself....I've been set free from all that nonsense.....and that is something they will never have!

Their life is a constant struggle, to a certain extent....like the Oral Surgery analogy, they do it several times a year...we only go through it once, and once it's done.....that's it....

I think (know) some people are critical out of spite, envy, or jealousy....they wish they had what we have....

Many people who were critical when I first had this surgery...I'm skinnier and healthier than they are....

So who's got the last laugh....easy? SO WHAT!

Edited by B-52

It really bothers me when people say that its the easy way to lose weight. I always tell them that this is not a easier way out. I tell them all that you have to go though just to have the surgery. See your Dr. once a month for 6 months. Being on 3 Protein shakes a day for 5 months when I would have loved to have real food. I only have two family members that are on my side. The other family members say "If your losing weight why do you want to have the surgery". I tell them that I have lost weight so many times I've lose count. Then I gain it all back and more as soon as I go off the diet. I say the surgery is a tool to help me not gain the weight back. I have friends say that I'm looking good and I have lose 70 pounds put that is just a start. I'm to the point I don't care what people say to me about the surgery in the end its my choice and I have made up my mind about having it. I have the surgery in 6 days.

It does still tend to bug me, but now I just tell people, try eating 600 calories a day and exercising. I am losing the weight. The surgery isn't doing it for me!

Easier compared to what? Everything is relative... Ignorance of the dedication it takes to be compliant WLS "losers". There are plenty of people on this forum that haven't been successful with their surgeries. I'm not judging, but you have to change your lifestyle. No matter what surgery you have and if you don't it won't work. So, easy... no way!

Oddly enough, my two best friends are gym rats and runners and have been my biggest supporters. The negativity has come from friends and family who are over-weight. Now, I'm just letting my progress speak for itself.

If ppl don't like it, tell them to kiss your shrinking ass!

I am a newbie - so please forgive me if this has been ranted about before... :blush:

I just need to get this off my (now smaller than it used to be) chest LOL

I AM SO ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE THINK SURGERY IS THE EASY OPTION!!!! :angry:

They treat it like surgery is being lazy:

Just don't eat so much...

Exercise more....

Etc...etc...etc

Sigh! It is a tool, i need to work at it. It is not a magic wand.

It hurts even more when it is family.... feels like i am the wee fat one and they dont

want that to change, well piss off that is YOUR problem!

I made the choice for me if you can't support my decision.... well.... tough!

Thank you for saving me from burying my anger in chocolate :D X

I do believe this is the best tool. Has it been easier than all my previous attempts? I say yes but my mindset is in the right place this time as well. It is not the easy way out by any means. I have worked harder than i ever have at anything but its tue best decision i have ever made. People in our shoes dont understand what we have gone through to finally choose this route. Am i proud of how i got to this place? No! I have/had a lot of issues but ultimately i did this to me and i have tried to fix it on my own. Just like all people need help at on time or another, i needed this surgery to help me. If people cant understamd that then they arent worth your time or breath. If they are overweight and taking stabs at you then they are either jealous that you took your life by the horns or they are just happy being miserable and they want all aroind them to share in their miserableness. You just keep on doing the right thing for you. Its all about you. Remember that!!

For me it was the ONLY way out. I did it because I knew it was the only way I had any chance of losing the weight before obesity killed me. Besides, why would I want a more difficult method anyway.

Yeah, of course there are other ways to lose weight. And short of taking a scalpel and slicing off all the excess weight......they are all more difficult. So in the scope of all those other ways.....it is sorta easier. So what. I could care less.

And more importantly.....I care even less about what other people think. ;)

I dont care what other people think either but i wouldnt say this is easier by any means. I lost alot of weight over the years but i could just never keep it off. I work harder at this than i ever had at doin it naturally. Between the exercise 5-6 days a week and the portion control and counting calories and working on my mental life change it is a full time job. Shopping takes longer and if you have a family, there is alot of change to take place there too. I mean i did calories and portioning before but when u get tired of it you just quit. You cant just quit this. What we all have gotten is a gift and a tool to make this process easier to handle but to say its easier? I personally dont think so

Maybe once we get to maintenance phase it will become easier and the way of life but not now. Just my opinion...

I hate to object to you but this is the easy way out..... It was my only way out.

If you thought you were stuck on a mountain cliff and some helicopter had to rescue you or climb down the mountain cause you probably could which do you choose?

Duh the helicopter.

This is my helicopter!

ITs been the easiest thing so far I have ever done. The hard part?? Actually eating.

I am happy for you that it is working so well, it is more that "some" people assume I can eat whatever the heck I want and it is not a problem.... I was on holiday last week and put on 2lb, due to a chocolate cake experience :blush:

I know I need to eat healthy to stay well and lose weight and avoid regain.... X

Thanx for your replies..... to all that it is working well, I am pleased for you. My point was that it is not an easy way for many, myself included and that it is when non WLS people just assume it takes no effort I get angry.
I have to be careful what I eat as my tiny tum doesn't hold much, and as my holiday shows me it will be all to easy to fall of the wagon and end up back where I began.
I had problems when trying to get back on solids and was ill for several months and back on puree, I am now doing much better thankfully. It is by no means a magic wand and we have to work with it.
I hear of many that regain, others have to force themselves to eat - the results of surgery can be so varied.
Good Luck to all of us, whether pre-op, post-op or just thinking about it. To travel this road with other by our side makes the journey a more supported one X

Ya know, most of those commenting that it's the Easy way out, are in fact obese and are just annoyed that you are losing weight and they cannot.

And by making such a rude statement, they opened the door for a much deserved reply.......

such as..... "It is easy.....I'm sure it would even work for you" ;)

Edited by Recycled

anger is a trigger for emotional eating. dont waste your energy on people who judge you. even if it is true, so what? brush that shit off and move on, they arent worth you getting worked up over.

Oddly enough, my two best friends are gym rats and runners and have been my biggest supporters. The negativity has come from friends and family who are over-weight. Now, I'm just letting my progress speak for itself.

If ppl don't like it, tell them to kiss your shrinking ass!

Omg you're SO right. I get the most crap from the overweight people in my life and it's always the skinny, healthy ones who have been so supportive of me.

Weird how that works.

I don't discuss my surgery except with my daughters and hubby... No one else in the family knows of my surgery. I did not want to hear comments or judgement from others. Next time someone says a comment.. Try not to react. And just change the subject. Don't give that person power to get you angry ...

I haven't had surgery yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

I wanted to add that I was one of those people and I bet most of us were at some point. I mean it is a bit crazy.... I'm going to get most of my stomach cut out of my body! And I can't wait!!!

It was sheer desperation, frustration, misery and losing the 'just eat less, workout more' battle that last and final time that I finally decided to look into this option.

When people say that, they just don't know. They are uninformed. I was. If asked I would have told you there is no way in hell i would get this done to me. but here i am jumping thru hoops to get this surgery done.

I saw someone's response to that was 'really? Show me the medical documentation, the medical studies that backs that up'. I've told 3 people. All three support me. If I tell anyone else and that is their attitude it will simply be one question 'how much time did you look into this to come to that idea?'

You can't judge till you walk in some ones shoes. People are silly. You hear people say 'I would NEVER do this' yeah well it's super easy to say you won't until you're in that situation. Then life takes over and you find that person doing that thing they vehemently opposed.

I think (know) some people are critical out of spite, envy, or jealousy....they wish they had what we have....

Many people who were critical when I first had this surgery...I'm skinnier and healthier than they are....

So who's got the last laugh....easy? SO WHAT!

THIS. YES!