Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS and My Lap Band

I am only 18 years old and was just banded on Thursday. The reason I got the band is a little different than most but i am still grateful for the opportunity.

When I was 14 I was diagnosed with a some medical problems that no normal 14 year old should have to worry about. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS, Hypothyroidism, and very high cholesterol. I grew up in a very active family; my mom is a personal trainer and dietitian so I was definitely a healthy active kid. However, for some weird reason, I was very over weight despite being on my school's swim team, soccer team, and having a personal trainer. I got on medications for the problems in hopes that it would take care of my weight issues. They helped a little but I continued to struggle all through high school with my health despite my activity level and healthy eating. It was so frustrating!

Then I went off to college and it got even more difficult in the fact that I was being a dumb college kid and not eating like I should since mommy wasn't there to tell me what to eat (you would think I would have learned after 18 years of it, but alas I did not). I got to a really low place with my self esteem and my health and was very discouraged and very down. I thought that I would have to struggle and be over weight for the rest of my life and that got me really down. Then I heard about the lap-band. I did my research and found that the lap band has helped a lot of people with their PCOS (which is my biggest issue in terms of weight gain)!! I was thrilled!

I knew this procedure would be life changing for me and I am so grateful for all the support I have received throughout my journey. This procedure is a blessing for me. I know it will be hard but I know I can do it and am looking forward of a healthier future!

I'm only 6 days post op and it has been a hard 6 days but I am getting better everyday. The pain is not pleasant but it is getting better. I do have quite a bit or soreness at the port site but that was expected. I can't wait to see what the band does for me.

Good luck and welcome aboard. Hang on for the journey....it's gonna be fun, scary and wild all wrapped up in one ride...lol

I was also young when they told me I had pcos. I was also told I would probably never have kids. I have 3 :) but prior to getting pregnant with my first I lost 60 pounds on my own. I hope you keep on fighting!!

I had a lot of pain in my port site which I didn't expect. My sister in law had this done and said it was no big deal and I would be surprised at how good I would feel after the surgery but I was in great pain when I returned home BUT I went home the same day which is maybe why.

Be very careful bending and reaching. I injured my port site doing that weeks after I had my surgery and it was a killer!!! I'm STILL wearing an abdominal split because of the pain. It's getting much better but I'm afraid to take off the splint until I'm absolutely sure it has completely healed!!

My first fill was Monday and it was a breeze... I didn't even feel it!!

I am only 18 years old and was just banded on Thursday. The reason I got the band is a little different than most but i am still grateful for the opportunity.

When I was 14 I was diagnosed with a some medical problems that no normal 14 year old should have to worry about. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS, Hypothyroidism, and very high cholesterol. I grew up in a very active family; my mom is a personal trainer and dietitian so I was definitely a healthy active kid. However, for some weird reason, I was very over weight despite being on my school's swim team, soccer team, and having a personal trainer. I got on medications for the problems in hopes that it would take care of my weight issues. They helped a little but I continued to struggle all through high school with my health despite my activity level and healthy eating. It was so frustrating!

Then I went off to college and it got even more difficult in the fact that I was being a dumb college kid and not eating like I should since mommy wasn't there to tell me what to eat (you would think I would have learned after 18 years of it, but alas I did not). I got to a really low place with my self esteem and my health and was very discouraged and very down. I thought that I would have to struggle and be over weight for the rest of my life and that got me really down. Then I heard about the lap-band. I did my research and found that the lap band has helped a lot of people with their PCOS (which is my biggest issue in terms of weight gain)!! I was thrilled!

I knew this procedure would be life changing for me and I am so grateful for all the support I have received throughout my journey. This procedure is a blessing for me. I know it will be hard but I know I can do it and am looking forward of a healthier future!

I'm only 6 days post op and it has been a hard 6 days but I am getting better everyday. The pain is not pleasant but it is getting better. I do have quite a bit or soreness at the port site but that was expected. I can't wait to see what the band does for me.

I also have PCOS. .the side affects of it for a girl is nothing anyone can understand unless you have it. I completely understand everything your saying. This week I lost my first 20 pds. I feel GREAT. Good luck to you.

I also was a very active child! I was out on every diet under the sun and still I was the chubby kid. I know your pain! I was 27 when they finally figured out I had pcos.. They think I had it at a young age as well and just didn't test/know about it. I have one child and they told me he was my mirical baby. I gained a bunch of weight and couldn't get it off! So I got lapband on April 11, 2014 and I lost 27 pounds in 28 days! My hubby takes my scale away and I can only weigh myself every 2weeks so in a few days I'll be able to see how much more I have lost! No fills yet! Good luck!!