Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All our post surgery members... what has replaced eating?

So I'm currently 3 weeks away from surgery and I'm struggling with constantly wanting to eat. My therapist asked me what I plan to do once that time is no longer hijacked by food. So I guess my question is, has anyone picked up a new hobby or activities that can take your mind off food?

Exercise, moisturizing my skin so it will stretch back!! Cleaning out my office, closets, drawers. writing letters, gardening. Trying to work out what the heck to eat! Staying busy really helps me. Best of luck!!

:)

Same here, staying busy. I have made a list of things I want to do around the house, I am retired so have plenty of time. The list is long and I can pick, there is always something on the list that I want to do. Also I love to sew, craft and read. I am two months out and have so much energy that going to workout is something I look forward to. I go to Curves and between that and housework I keep moving. You have to find something to replace the food. Planning ahead is crucial. Best of luck to you.

You will not be wanting food as much simply because you won't be hungry. Something I could not imagine till the surgery. Second it's difficult to eat the smallest portion of food so you won't want food all the time. ..which means less cooking and more time to walk and go to the gym.

Exercise

Instead of munching, I read, joined the y.m.c.a. and walk in the pool ,I cook...that sounds like a bad thing but actually I dont taste while cooking. food means nothing to me anymore. I'm never hungry. I have to look at the clock to see when to eat. But then again, I don't push it. I love keeping busy, except that my back pain etc. Slows me down... just trying new things. Life is awesome. :-)

It really does sound strange but I could care less if I ever eat again. I eat so little and it takes me a long time. I am only 3.5 weeks post surgery and I have absolutely no appetite. I only eat because if I don't I feel tired and weak and I know my body needs Protein. I actually have to watch cooking shows to give myself a bit of an appetite. Is that strange?

Anyway, I found walking, crafting and spending time with my hubby much more fun than all the cooking I used to do. Although I do get very tired later in the day. Hoping that gets better!

I go geocaching when I have tons of free time and all I can think about is Snacks. It's good exercise and really fun. I'm 2 months out of surgery and while I'm not feeling hungry my mind likes to fixate on food if I'm just vegging out in front of the TV.

Unbelievably I love exercise. Prior to the surgery I hated it. After surgery I kept telling myself to walk and I didn't. I joined a local gym and that has been my saving grace. I love it. I like the variety, the air conditioning and the feeling I get afterwards and it is the secret to my not being hungry. So many people say they never are hungry-I am and I do get hungry! If I go to the gym I don't get the afternoon "hungries" stage though. I work out at my own pace and it is just wonderful. I even own work out clothes-for the first time in my life. Hope you find your new happy place!

After surgery and some weight loss clean out your closet and try things own-vow to get rid of big item except for one to keep. Having them gone is a weight off your mind and you'll have nothing to grow back into later. It is a natural high to walk into your closet and know everything fits!!!!!!

@@Cheshire I love geocacheing! Have you ever heard of letterboxing? It's similar and fun.

I adore reading ... Crossword puzzles. Yes, working out. My house is much cleaner and I don't spend 1/4 of the time planning shopping prepping serving or Cleaning up food. Much easier

Good luck!