Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of naysayers

Soooooooooo tired of being told I can do it myself without surgery. Yeah there are risks involved but I feel I will die without it... Need this "tool" in my arsenal. If I could do it, I would've done it. Been overweight almost 20 years and it's time for a drastic change.

Do it for you and no one else! Tell the naysayers they don't get a vote in this. This is why I only told on a need to know basis. I didn't ask nor want your opinion. Good luck to you. 60 pounds down and 100 to go. No regrets. It's hard work, definitely not easy!

Congrats on your success!!

I told no one but fam. and the one who was opposed(my brother) his response when I saw him yesterday was ddaayyyum..enough said. If you are like most of us and have done Atkins, WW,phentermine,carb cycling,low carb....this is no cop-out it is a reset.Forget those who REFUSE to understand that!This is for you! Best of luck!

During my initial stage of considering WLS, I discussed with a close (overweight) friend and he was relentless in begging me not to do it . He sent me emails with links to supplements (that haven't worked for him) and he continues to do this even after I've lost 115 pounds and am close to goal.

Due to this experience early in my process I chose to only reveal my WLS to a few family members and 2 friends.

No regrets as I know I'd have received plenty of unwelcomed bad advice.

Don't even waste your time telling anyone else, nor giving updates/your decision to those you've mentioned this to. Just the person who's taking you to surgery [spouse, friend].

They may not be hateful; but simply, most people just do NOT understand the biochemistry of obesity, etc. and they think it's only about 'willpower' and simply 'pushing back from the table.' It is MUCH MORE than that. The body actually fights against us to lose weight. They don't understand, so don't bring people who can't fully process the problem into your decision-making.

Later for them. Own yourself, and do what you need to do for you. As I heard in a sermon years ago, re: unsupportive folks, or those who want to take you on a bad path: "I love you, but...'I'm leaving you behind.'" (as I/you go on your way and do what you need to do to better yourself).

Thanks all for the good advice. I am too excited about this journey to turn back, 69 days until surgery, starting to try to change habits now.

But is difficult when the advice they are giving is from the heart. I know they love me, just don't understand me.

Honestly, I only told my husband and a few close friends. My family has been dead set against it. What I find funny is that most of the people I have heard bashing the surgery have lots of weight to lose - as I do. I am keeping this to myself and I am thrilled that I am doing this for me. I need to be able to move again and to get my life back. There should be love and support around that decision.

PRINCESSM,

Sometimes you have to put yourself FIRST. I told very few people at work because like another poster said: most people have no frackin' clue how hard it is to loose weight for someone like me. I'm in this for ME. It's high time I think of myself first and foremost--and i think you should do the same.

I hope you have an easy, uneventful surgery and easy recovery.

Blessings,

Kathleen

But is difficult when the advice they are giving is from the heart. I know they love me, just don't understand me.

I promise they JUST DONT UNDERSTAND But It's not you who's wrong. Stand up to your decision. Shut them down quickly. You don't need continued negativity as this isn't an easy journey. I would tell them that theyre misinformed and have not truly educated themselves if they think WLS is riskier than a lifetime of obesity and that you, along with a host of healthcare professions who specialize in nutrition and weight loss are helping guide you. Don't let anyone minimize or doubt your decision making process. One of the greatest feelings about this journey, for me anyway, is a feeling of control and feeling empowered. It's an enormous relief to finally feel in control of food, hunger, anxiety. It's not without risk, it's not easy. But it yields results when you work it. That sense of empowerment can be threatening to those that love us but are used to us being a certain way. Obviously that might not be your case, but sometimes their issues with it are about THEM and not you. I get riled up because this is hard enough, no one needs a others negativity to hold them back. Good luck!!!!!! 69 days will pass slowly but then it's a wild, crazy fun ride! I'm just starting to buy a few pieces of new clothing. It's so much fun to shop!!

I am having the same problem ..if I can do it on my own I should be nice and fit by now :)

Soooooooooo tired of being told I can do it myself without surgery. Yeah there are risks involved but I feel I will die without it... Need this "tool" in my arsenal. If I could do it, I would've done it. Been overweight almost 20 years and it's time for a drastic change.

Don't feel bad, I get that all the time. Or "you just have to have more will power!"

Do it for you and no one else! Tell the naysayers they don't get a vote in this. This is why I only told on a need to know basis. I didn't ask nor want your opinion. Good luck to you. 60 pounds down and 100 to go. No regrets. It's hard work, definitely not easy!

Great advice!