Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post-op and sooooo fatigued

Is anyone else experiencing this overwhelming fatigue? I am eating 400-500 calories per day, not quite getting all of my Protein, am on soft foods, and getting enough sleep but I have zero energy. The very idea of exercising is laughable. By the time I do the minimum to care for my 3 kids, I have absolutely nothing left. How long will this go on? My house is a disaster and I am getting behind on everything. Any advice?

Is anyone else experiencing this overwhelming fatigue? I am eating 400-500 calories per day, not quite getting all of my Protein, am on soft foods, and getting enough sleep but I have zero energy. The very idea of exercising is laughable. By the time I do the minimum to care for my 3 kids, I have absolutely nothing left. How long will this go on? My house is a disaster and I am getting behind on everything. Any advice?

I was fatigued for a few months, my surgeon said it was due to my body struggling with not understanding it's new way of life and recovery from the trauma is surgery. Just get as much Protein as you can in and don't move through the stages to quickly, I had complications from progressing to quickly.

I am also extremely tired. I am 5 weeks out. I just started back to work today then went to my daughters softball game straight after that and am totally played out. Not even the energy for a shower tonight so that will wait until morning. I am really hoping once I get back into my routine I feel more energy. I am getting at least 60 grams of Protein in a day and taking my Vitamins but still physically played out.

I'm 8.5 weeks out. I had horrible fatigue at 4 weeks. It's getting better. I didn't really start to exercise until 4-5 weeks because it was so profound. I am much stronger now but still have to take breaks when doing chores, etc. once your up to 700-800 calories, it gets better. I don't know if it'll ever get "normal" since I'm still so new, but it does get better.

I experienced this too. Didn't start to feel normal until after 2 months. My theory was always that I felt that way due to lack of calories and carbs. Carbs are what fuel the body. So, as my diet progressed, I would try my best to incorporate complex carbs (boiled squash & zucchini with some good flavoring was my favorite; I would blend them slightly during my soft food stage). Look up best complex carb foods and think of creative ways to incorporate them in with your Protein intake. It definitely helped with my energy levels and stopped the "blacking out" every time I got up or moved too fast and the fatigue.

I agree. Adding carbs later on helps. I added strawberries and blue berries this week. Has helped my energy level I think. Give it time. Things will look different in another 4 weeks.