Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many WA Bandsters?

HI My doctor is Dr Couch. I had my lap band put in at easter. I found that the most of my weight has come off from the Optifast diet. God that was hard!! We are taking my fills very slowly as I work away have started to really notice the restriction on what I can eat, bread is now out as is most meats and if I eat too fast BOY do I know it! Anyone eles had not so great effects so far? Also I'm finding it hard to give up the old eating habbits anyone got any suggestions??

Hi JoMc

'Gotta get some oh that will-power', its really hard, the band takes care of the hunger but who ever felt hunger before the band, if i had waited for hunger i wouldnt be overwieght. Try to remember nothing tastes as good as feeling good about how your body is changing towards the new you, when thinking of having something you know you shouldn's STOP, go for a walk, brush your teeth, have a drink of Water, go have a facial, pedicure... Remember what your goal is and reward yourself with none food items... Good Luck! How much weight have you lost since easter Im off to Bali in March and wondered what loss i can realistically expect.. my surgeon said 1kg per week...what have others lost??

HI kmb,

I bet you must still feel a little tender! Enjoy the down time while you can.

Who is your surgeon? How was your hospital stay? I thankfully used my HBF for something (finally) and got to stay in a private hospital. I loved how they treated me, as I was a real sookie. I can't stand pain of any description!

What is your goal? Do you have a game plan?

I hope your recovery goes well:clap2:

JoMc

HI suzee,

I've gone from 119kgs to 99kgs then up to 101kgs. I'm a little bothered by the weight gain but Dr Couch has said it's not too much to worry about. As I work away that means I'm a fair distance from medical attention if something were to go wrong, so, I've only been getting 0.5ml fills. I'm now up to 4mls in total.

Do you find that it take only a short time for your hunger to return after a port fill? I've noticed that it takes around 1 week for the hunger to return. Another thing is that did you fins it hard to stick to only 3 small meals per day? Got any advise on what to eat and when as I work 13hr shifts and find I get hungrey easily.

Have fun in bali, have you had to have your Fluid removed?

JoMc

Hi JoMc

I have to admit by yeterday i was feeling great but this afternonon i have got very tender. I went public so went to Charlies.

My Goal is in the 60's and no havnt done a game plan yet any idea ???

Can anyone give me any idea how long they took off work.

I have broken out in a rash from head to waiste they are saying i am reacting so some pain killer maybe that was annoying me more than the band itself. and then had a mini stroke on monday night that didnt affect me accept scaring the everything outta me. just filling you guys in i am not a person that will wollow on things and get up and again.

Kylie

HI kmb

You poor thing, I had a bad time with head spins and developed a hoematoma (i think that how to spell it??) Which was a bit painfull at times.

All I can recommend it just take it one day at a time. I have to admit I'm finding it hard to break eating habbits. Like when I get home from work I head straight to the fridge and want something cool and refreshing.

Try to avoid any cabonated drinks, as it strtches the "new stomach", which has been strange for me as you just don't realise that almost everything these days is carbonated!!

Also don't rush to get out and start your excersise plan too soon, I did and boy I was in pain! my Doc said that the first 4-6 weeks is not so much as loosing weight but trying to stay healthy while recovering from your operation. I used my Optifast for these weeks as I did try Soup but found it hard to keep it down, as you proberly know that want you to avoid being sick. Also the Optifast gives you all your nutrience, I also added a liquid Multivitamin called clemets tonic. It tasts horrible but it's desighned for people recovering from operations. I mixed it with a mix of Water and a little apple juice just to cover the taste a bit. But with all things check with your doc first, mine was recieving almost daily calls from me but hey that's what they are there for.

Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

PS: One little thing I do is I have my little daydreams of all the nice clothes and things that I will be wearing during my way to my goal weight 65-70kgs. Like, I look forward to buying my new size18 jeans from the normal section of the shops not the plus size section. And having one chin not two and the rolls on my sides becomming a slender side!! Do this and when they come true it wil give you the excitment to carry on!!:rolleyes:

Hi Jo

Thanks you for your engouraging words yes the wanting to eat is very hard to overcome specially when u watching telly at night hehehe but reading what u guys post and the experiences really gives me hope and helps get through the harder times and yes the normal shopping is going to be a marvellous reward at the end.

HI suzee,

I've gone from 119kgs to 99kgs then up to 101kgs. I'm a little bothered by the weight gain but Dr Couch has said it's not too much to worry about. As I work away that means I'm a fair distance from medical attention if something were to go wrong, so, I've only been getting 0.5ml fills. I'm now up to 4mls in total.

Do you find that it take only a short time for your hunger to return after a port fill? I've noticed that it takes around 1 week for the hunger to return. Another thing is that did you fins it hard to stick to only 3 small meals per day? Got any advise on what to eat and when as I work 13hr shifts and find I get hungrey easily.

Have fun in bali, have you had to have your Fluid removed?

JoMc

Hi JoMc

You say you work away in 13 hour shifts - are you on the mines? Which one? I am up at Argyle Diamonds at the moment, and hoping to have the banding done over Xmas or early in the New Year. I've been a little worried about returning to camp soon after surgery and how I'll manage the eating plans when I'm up on site.

Camp food is what has gotten me to the point of taking this step. I lost 20kg about 4-5 years back and kept almost all of it off until I started work on the mines 18 months ago and have now re-gained all of it (plus an extra 2kg, as usual *sigh*).

How have you managed with the liquid & mushie stages of eating in the weeks following surgery?

:clap2:HI,HOPE THIS GOES TO THE RIGHT SECTION[NOT THE BEST WITH COMPUTERS]I HAD MY BAND PUT IN AT GERALDTON BY PAUL FLANAGAN ON THE 19/7/07,I WAS REALLY PLEASED WITH MY CHOICE,HAD HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT THIS SERGEON,WE USED TO LIVE 2 HRS AWY FROM GERO,NOW WE ARE AT A LITTLE SPOT CALLED CUNDERDIN.SO I GO TO PERTH NOW AT MURDOCH AND SEE DR WATSON? HAS ANY ONE ELSE SEEN STEVEN WATSON? ANYWAY GOODLUCK.I WAS 112 1/2 KGS,NOW IM ABOUT 96 1/2. DOES ANY ONE ELSE FIND IT HARD LOOKING AT THE OTHER SITES AND THERE WORKING IN POUNDS?I PUT OUT A THREAD TO SEE WHAT THE CONVERSION WOULD BE.GAIL:clap2:

Hi Blue Eyed Girl

Rastis100 (?) is a poster here, from Perth, who was just banded by Dr Stephen Watson at Murdoch. She gives him a great report, which I hope holds true for everyone, as I am seeing him next month myself, to start this journey.

I also was banded by Dr Watson on 10.10.07 and even though it is early days I am really pleased so far (ask me again when I have had my first fill!!). I found him to be very approachable and also has a lot of experience over many years in doing lapbands which was good to know.

I am finding it difficult to find chewable vitamins - can anyone give me some ideas about what they use and where they buy it from in Perth please.

I am mostly having Protein Shakes in place of my meals and eating soft food like mashed potato though it is getting more difficult as my hunger increases.

cheers

Melanie

I am up at Argyle Diamonds at the moment, and hoping to have the banding done over Xmas or early in the New Year. I've been a little worried about returning to camp soon after surgery and how I'll manage the eating plans when I'm up on site.

Camp food is what has gotten me to the point of taking this step. I lost 20kg about 4-5 years back and kept almost all of it off until I started work on the mines 18 months ago and have now re-gained all of it (plus an extra 2kg, as usual *sigh*).

quote]

Hi FannyAdams & All from WA

I totally understand where you are going from with camp food. Over a 15 year period and 4 camp stints, I gained 10kgs per site then lost 5kg after each, so Yo Yoing was normal. How could you turn down the desert table, left overs or a cooked brekkie plus the wet mess as well. You may need to talk to the camp manager in confidence about your special diet needs. Argyle is a large site and I am sure others are on special diets as well. It is not hard to cater for you as vegetarians get special meals so why not you. Also your Doc should be able to write a nice letter without disclosing all the info about your diet. (ie hiatus hernia excuse) What you don't want is to get something stuck at work due to bad eating habits or an unexpected ingredient. I have already had the stuck factor at work and staying in the bathroom for an hour is not good. This is where you also must have at least one EMO on your side as well due to emergency procedures having to be put in place. My doc has given me a video, needles and info for my local doc just in case they need to open up the band for say gastro our worse when I may need the RFDS. Also does the EMO/nurse have maxalon injections on site. You may need to get a script for them. I am not trying to panic you but I am all for the scout motto of Being Prepared. The more you are prepared the less explanation later. I currently live in a remote mining town and so far only five people know what I have done as I don't want to live in a fish bowl and be the latest food for the gossip mongers. You may need to just look at your different food stages(fluids, mushies 1 & 2 & solids) and take with you some fruit purees, a barmix, cup with lid and some Soups as back up.

I am finding the band very hard as I had my first fill 5 weeks ago and then last week I had 1/2 the Fluid removed as I couldn't even sip Water probably without throwing it back up. The problem I have is distance to Perth and the inability to just pop in to see the surgeon if somethings a miss. I have her mobile number and reguarly check this site out. I also wrote my surgeon a 50 question email before the surgery so if you want that and her answers I give that to you if you like. At least with FIFO you can regularly see the Doc. But these days mine sites are pretty savvy with the health of their workforce and I believe that you may even have special fitness gurus as well on site. You may be surprised on the support you will get from them.

So good luck and we'll chat later.

Outback Jo

Hi MSS

i had my bad done on the 7.10.07 i got a great liquid Vitamin and not bad tasting HIVITA from the health shop in floreat forum and at this stage i have to say they are making a difference i would presume you could get it from any health shop hope this helps