Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat Arms?

The reason the top of your arm is feeling tigher is most likely because your doing a typical curl. Those are great for that bicept but wont help the flab. Flab is controled by your tricept, theres an excercise called skull crushers (they just sound scary) their intence ! You lay down on your back and extend a straight bar (10-20 lbs for beginners) in the air curl your arms back toward your forhead, keeping your elbows stiff and tucked in, if your not feeling it your doing it wrong. If you go to a gym ask someone to help you. Good luck, im working on the same thing !

I have started doing an exercise which appears to be helping the ol' bat wings. How can I describe it?? I found an animation on the web...hopefully it works...if not, let me know. But here's the description:

Overhead Triceps Extension on a Ball

Grasp the ends of a dumbbell with both hands and sit on an inflated exercise ball (the edge of a chair will work if no ball is available). Keep your abs tight so you don't arch your back. Lift the weight over your head, positioning your elbows near your ears.

Thanks so much! I'm starting today!

Sounds good! Personall I wear tank tops or sleeveless tops if I feel like it. No one is going to be staring at my arms, they aren't that bad. When I was a teenager being able to show my upper arms was a big step for me in terms of self confidence. They weren't even bad, just a little bit flabby but I had this wierd self conscious thing about them. I decided that other people had to look at them, not me, so what did I care.

My arms are gross. When your skin is significantly stretched for any length of time, lifting weights will only help in so far as the muscle mass is able to fill in the loose skin. It won't do anything to tighten the skin, but it can definitely help things look better. Unfortunately no amount of muscle mass is going to help me. If I started bodybuilding, I'd look like this guy:

post-205294-13813134887638_thumb.jpg

Jachut, Very Well Said!!!! You Gotta Learn To Accept Yourself And Be Happy With Yourself!!! We Have All Come A Long Way And Accomplished Our Biggest Problem: Weight!!!! The Rest Is Small Stuff, You Can Either Accept It Or Have Ps Surgery To Solve The Problem, But I, Myself, Don't Have That Type Of Money, So I Will Just Have To Accept My Bat Wings!!!:(:D;)

I am still holding out hope though! lol. I am not expecting to have super toned arms, however..I want them to look somewhat OKAY to wear tank tops etc for the summer. The younger you are the better chance you have at having tigher skin as you lose weight and exercise. I am hoping for the best!

OMG Wheets!!!!! that picture is horrid! LOL

I've been self conscience about my wings since I was a senior in HS.. a guy that I thought was cute..... said ....... Dang Tracy your arms are HUGE!!!!!!..... I've only rarely worn tank tops by themselves since..... I do wear swimsuits but that is because I love the Water and I can't stand to wear a shirt over it unless I'm sunburnt or on the verge..... thanks Lapbandit for the animation.. that really gives a great visual!

OMG... that exercise is a toughie ... i did 3 sets of 15 with a 7.5 lb weight. wow! sore for a couple of!!

wheetsin - ew! i do not want to look like that.

what a great post! I just started loosing but that has always been my major concern and I didn't know what to do

thanks for all the good advice

I've lost 80 lbs and my arms have improved signifigantly just from that. I think if I can get some good muscle tone under there, by the time I get to goal, they'll be lookin' pretty decent.

To second what Jachut said, my sister was less than half my weight before I got banded and hated her arms more than I hated mine. I thought they looked great! We're both getting better :)

I have reached my weight goal but now realize I have a bit more fat and flab to contend with. I have stepped up my training and been a gym rat for the last couple of months. Now I am switching routines and doing resistance bands and green vegetable powder. I believe resistance bands will be excellent in toning and shaping muscles/skin and combating flab. Here are some tips that may help you on your journey. I will be posting the results of the resistance band routines in a couple of months.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/195891-how-to-tighten-loose-abdominal-skin/

My energy level is very high for the past few months.

On 4/13/2007 at 10:09 PM, Kelsy said:

Does anyone know the best way to tone your upper arms? I HATE my upper arms and i want to tone them when i exercise. I've been lifting 10lb weights everynight trying to tone the bottom flabby of my arms.... So far I notice only the top of my upper arms feel more toned.

I was looking for some equipment to help me with this.... I want to wear tank tops but won't because i feel my arms are gross.

Are these any good? (see below) I notice some say "light, medium, heavy" for the resistance.. I never used one of these.. Has anyone else? Any advice on how to accomplish this (ridding arm flab) is greatly appreciated! THANKS

p1253533dt.jpg

This is one of those YMMV things - but I will tell you how this has worked for me.

First of all, I started off assuming there was nothing exercise would do to improve lose skin (since it doesn't).

That said, strength training has altered the way in which my arms look, including the appearance of lose skin.

In certain positions (e.g., if I have my arms extended perpendicular to my body) the skin will hang down and no amount of muscle is going to change that. But I don't walk around in life with my arms sticking out at 90 degrees so who cares.

When my arms are at my sides or other natural movements, my bicep and tricep definition is more noticeable than my lose skin. It is not distracting. The only time I am really observing this by the way is at the gym in front of a mirror so again, YMMV. But for example, when I do woodchoppers with a 25 lb plate, my arms look pretty firm. But if I extend them out 90 degrees they look like batwings. Also there's alot of upper arm and shoulder muscle activation in that movement and almost no muscle activation in just holding them out, so that's probably part of the difference.

I would not recommend that you stare at your arms in unnatural positions and assess them from there.

Also, your body works together as a whole, so its kind of nuts to strengthen your arms for aesthetic purposes and not work on strengthening your core, legs, back, shoulders and arms all together.

But to sum it all up - adding muscle to my biceps, triceps, back, shoulder, core has seemed to improve the aesthetics of my arms.