Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Every single time I've slept since surgery I've had completely random and vivid nightmares. They can go from horrifying to just odd and scary. They never make any sense. At first I just dealt with it and now I'm sick of it. It's getting so old. Has anyone dealt with this too?

I remember someone saying a while ago this is related to the anesthesia or pain medicine used for surgery and/or recovery. It should work itself out soon.

Emarie07, I have had them too. Very vivid, bold and disgustingly frightening. I do hope these will go away soon. They are like the night terrors that the children have.

Well wishes to all who suffer from this, hope they are gone for good this week.

I been having them too and some people from my Facebook group had then too! I don't take medication for pain and I'm two weeks out! Good luck and hope this dreams go away soon!

Your brain is reacting to a cocktail of hormones that were triggered by the surgery.... Mostly stress hormones, but also the hormones that promote healing and tissue regeneration. Your brain isn't used to this stuff!! Your stomach is sending out SOS calls, and your brain doesn't know what to make of it all.

Night terrors are actually different - they aren't dreams at all, they happen in a different phase of sleep.... But nightmares (bad dreams) can be really unsettling!! My stress-dreams usually involve me covered in spiders/spider webs because cortisol makes my skin crawly. Lovely huh?

When I take narcotic pain meds, this happens to me....everytime....no matter the procedure: sleeve, dental, etc.

When I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth taken out, I was scared to go to sleep because of the night mares.

Happens everytime. Never fails.

Edited by O-Town Body Rock

Back about 15 yrs ago when I took Darvocet for period cramps, I always had vivid nightmares. Called them "Darvocet Dreams". Think they come with pain meds.

Hard time remembering back to my sleeve revision (10 mths ago) but I think I did have a few nightmares following surgery.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Well I'm off all my pain meds now and I feel great! My dream are still very vivid and odd but the last 2 weren't as scary. Hopefully it's improving, only time will tell! Thanks for the replies, I greatly appreciate them all!

Your brain is reacting to a cocktail of hormones that were triggered by the surgery.... Mostly stress hormones, but also the hormones that promote healing and tissue regeneration. Your brain isn't used to this stuff!! Your stomach is sending out SOS calls, and your brain doesn't know what to make of it all. Night terrors are actually different - they aren't dreams at all, they happen in a different phase of sleep.... But nightmares (bad dreams) can be really unsettling!! My stress-dreams usually involve me covered in spiders/spider webs because cortisol makes my skin crawly. Lovely huh?

Very interesting! Ya the spider stress dreams sound awful! Lol. I think when I'm stressed I normally dream about killing someone and needed to find a place to hide their body. That's one dream that I have a lot ever since I was a child. I'm sure it symbolizes something, just not sure what.

I'm a week post Op and have been dealing with nightmares ever since.. rn i woke up after having a nightmare ... a very vivid dream like it's actually happening.. sometimes it's stupid but still happens to scare me in my dream..my Heart rate is so high rn... except from general anaesthesia, and acetaminophen (iv and supp) I haven't had any other meds.. I'm so scared so will they go away? If so, when? 😭😭😭