Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My NUT got into my head!

Althought I'm not sure my nutritionist meant to come off this way she said something as my last appointment that has made me doubt myself everyday since. She said " I could see you going back to your old habbits very easily" I wasn't entirely sure what she was basing that off of-I had my fitness pal open which she really refused to look at and I measured all my food and was staying away from all the wrong things. Since shes said that I've been doubting myself at every turn. She mad the comment that at about 6-12 week out they want you to lose about 50-60 pounds. Well I"m 3 months out (12 weeks) and I've lost 55..but for some reason what she said is really putting a damper on that success. Any body get an similar information from their NUT? I know everyones body is different but is 55 in 3 months considered "Slow" weight loss?

How can I say this...for some reason there is always one or two people that has a "different" personality in the crowd, and it's just who they are and we're not going to change them. You are doing great! If I lose 55 lbs. in three months I will be ecstatic!

Edited by mentalistfan

I think your weight loss is amazing. Your NUT? Not so much…

The next time you see them, consider calling her out on her comment(s). Make her explain the motivation for saying what she did. They need to be on your side, and work with you through the process. And while intentions might have been good, explain to her how the comment(s) made you feel.

You've been working too hard at this to let some random thoughts derail you.

Be well…

Just as there are good and bad doctors, there are good and bad nutritionists. Don't let her get into your head!! The same as with the people that thing we shouldn't have had this surgery. Don't listen. Sounds like you are doing great!! Keep measuring, keep paying attention to what you are eating and knowing inside your own head..........you never want to go back !! Keep up the good work.

Yep, I'm in the 'call her out on it' brigade.

You should tell her how it made you feel.

If you do it well enough, it should leave her with enough food for thought for the next few days.

Lets see how she likes it, the offhanded cowbag.

Stay strong, treacle. You're doing great :)

You are rocking it out. I agree with the rest of them. Ask her what she meant by that, call her out because not everybody is the same and we all lose differently. Your weight loss is spectacular! Just keep your eyes on the prize and keep on keepin on! Do what works best for you and we look forward to hearing more as you progress. It exciting to hear successs stories. Keep smiling and remember that this is your journey.

Oh for Pete's sake....your NUT is a nut! I am approaching my yr. mark and have lost it all slow as molasses. Big frickin' deal! It's come off hasn't it? If you've truly embraced the change this surgery is, then you'll be fine in the long run. If you haven't, well...we all know what happens. Call them on the comment, they need to understand how to better communicate to us as bariatric patients.

When I had my lapband in 2006 the Dr. AND his staff (nut, assistants, etc.) had horrible communication skills with me and I probably should have called them on it, but being uncertain I didn't. Now, since my sleeve, the new Dr. And team are amazing. Chalk it up to your NUT needs to be schooled and do some schooling. ;-). Best of luck.

Hi

Edited by Bigmommatojacob

My nut is so rude to me all the time. My doctor scheduled my surgery amd she called yelling ate because i did not do three meetings with her first. I had everything i needed for insurance with the three meetings. I had my surgery and now when i call with a question she is rude. Oh well i have been on liquids (brooth Powerade zero ) going on five weeks and got two more to go. I do it and wish this surgery never happen everyday.

Oh, one dietician I saw at that exact point told me I couldn't have Snacks. She told me I couldn't have Greek yogurt either. It really sent me into a tail spin too. Next visit, I saw another dietician and told the front desk to note my file not to see that evil one.

The nice one told me that that's the point when a significant portion of people stop losing and go back to old habits...and she was concerned for me. My Snacks were beef Jerky or Greek yogurt at that time.

To date, I've lost 101 pounds, and I hit the surgeons goal in 4 more pounds.

I've remained vigilant and I have adjusted my food as necessary to continue the weight loss. But that evil dietician really got under my skin...so I feel your struggle.

Your Nut is a complete Nut! Seriously, you lost 55lbs in 3 months, what a great accomplishment! I hope and wish I can lose 50lbs on my 3 month mark. But yea I agree you should call her out on it. She was a moron for making that comment. Dont let her words discourage you because your doing great!

Kat I'm so proud of you!! I'll have to go back and read up on your experience since I'm still making my decision. Sleeve isn't covered, so I'd have to go lapband. Don't let that nut get to you. Be proud and keep doing what your doing!

First of all, why do you even need a nut? The post op meal plan after 3 months is very simple. Drink at least 64oz of Water (more is better), get at least 60g Protein, take your Vitamins and stay away from junk food and simple carbs. Basically eat Protein first, then veggies, fruit and whole grains. That's it! Pretty simple and easy. You don't need someone looking over your shoulder telling you if you've been "bad" or good. Go ahead and track and measure if you want, but you are obviously doing fine.

Honestly, unless your insurance requires postop nut consults, I don't really see the point. We all know what we should and shouldn't eat..... Just read labels and make smart choices. I don't track anything and the only time I ever talked to a nut was surgery day when we went over the post op diet stages.

Althought I'm not sure my nutritionist meant to come off this way she said something as my last appointment that has made me doubt myself everyday since. She said " I could see you going back to your old habbits very easily" I wasn't entirely sure what she was basing that off of-I had my fitness pal open which she really refused to look at and I measured all my food and was staying away from all the wrong things. Since shes said that I've been doubting myself at every turn. She mad the comment that at about 6-12 week out they want you to lose about 50-60 pounds. Well I"m 3 months out (12 weeks) and I've lost 55..but for some reason what she said is really putting a damper on that success. Any body get an similar information from their NUT? I know everyones body is different but is 55 in 3 months considered "Slow" weight loss?

Whatever...ur doing great! Dont let her get to you. I'm not even planning on seeing one. Sounds like her attitude sucks ...keep up the good work.: )

I'm with those here supporting you who say:

1. YOU are doing great. Congratulations! :)

2. Yes, the NUT got into your head -- now GET HER OUT by not spending the rest of your life wondering "what she really meant."

3. On your next visit you can raise the issue (politely) of how her comment affected you and ask her to explain what she meant by her comment -- and then be prepared for her to either

a. apologize / explain what she really meant / behave like an effective consultant or

b. be defensive, explain yet again how she's cool and you're not, and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's not fit to be your consultant.

4. If she chooses Option b, you should report her to your surgeon and ask for a different NUT to be your consultant.

5. Then get on with your journey, knowing that no one is perfect (including you), but that you do deserve the best support team you can organize for yourself.

Edited by VSGAnn2014