Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gulping water when your really thirsty?

Anyone who has had the sleeve for a longer time (I'm only 2 weeks out) can you ever gulp down Water again if you are really thirsty like after a workout?

I was wondering the same thing, sometimes you just want a refreshing gulp of water!

Yes. I'm 3 months out and can gulp several ounces at a time.

Thank you for that! I love Water and love gulping it down when "m thirsty, gad to know I should be able to enjoy that again after a nice workout :)

I can gulp down Water, but I know it's not near the amount I could pre-surgery. It takes time to learn how much you can swallow at one time without going too far. But eventually it becomes a habit. I've learned that I can take 4 big swallows (about 1/2 a mouth full each time) without feeling too full. But water is a slider food for me. :-P

I'm only 8 weeks post but gulping Water hurts. Can do more than I could a month ago but it still hurts and can induce nausea. I hate that too. I loved to blouse drink my water preop. I rarely hit fluid goals. It's frustrating. But maybe it'll get easier in time.

I'm one of the lucky ones that can drink Water pretty fast. However, I have been going to the gym and after the treadmill I go to the fountain thirsty. I have had to stop myself midstream because I realize that I'm gulping water like I used to. I'm also not a throw-upper, never have been. I think I have a gut of steel or something because the gag reflex is hard for me and throwing up is even harder. I hear that most people will eat fast or get food stuck and throw up, but with me...I get sick as a dog because my body just won't throw up even when I put my finger down my throat. All of that to say, that everyone is different. Check how you feel with taking bigger sips and a few gulps. Know your limits. Good luck!

I am experimenting with how much Water my sleeve can handle. I swallowed about 4 oz in 5 minutes today and was extremely happy. Get liquids down is a task pain. If I could drink larger quantities I could hit all of my goals.

But I am concerned I might be stretching my gut. I wish there was a way to see how quickly the liquid moves from sleeve to intestines.

Edited by Josh2xh

Yes, I am 3 1/2 weeks postop and I am able to gulp Water as of a week ago.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will have to wait and see how it is for me, but seems like most can gu

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will have to wait and see, but glad to see that most people can gulp down water!

That's the thing that has concerned me the most since I started this metamorphosis. I get thirsty so I drink 32 oz of Water (before sleeve). I've always been a water drinker so I didn't have to withdrawal from soda or other unsavory liquids but I just don't feel like I drink enough water. Since the sleeve I'm lucky to get 30 oz a day. I'm constantly thirsty. I work in an area where I cannot drink for much of the day so I would make up for it by drinking that 32 oz cup in one sitting. Now I'm simply dry. :-( I'm pretty early out so I'm hoping to be able to gulp that water soon!

That's my least favorite thing..not being able to gulp! I'm thirsty quite often but find it hard to sit long enough to sip a significant amount of Fluid. I'm 4 weeks out. I can't drink plain Water but have found that sf grape flavoring works well for me. I've also found that 2-3 sips at a time is my limit, but if I use a straw I can take bigger sips. I've never met my fluid goal, but I'm working on it!