Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your go to food when you're out and forgot to bring?

Thanks for the helpful ideas everyone wow.

I agree with the milk comment-I had trouble with milk products before surgery, and now I am completely lactose intolerant since I had surgery. That cuts out a lot of your options!! You just have to find what works best for you!! Good luck..

I know its controversial but I go with a Starbucks breve latte. Its high fat, high cal but low sugar. Its also got higher Protein than a regular latte. Takes a long time to drink and fills me up!

Otherwise, you can always find planters peanuts and cheeses anywhere.

Watch out for "light" options. They often substitute carbs for fat. Fat does not make you fat, but carbs will nail you.

Forgot to mention Japanese. Sashimi, edamame, cucumber salad, miso Soup. Low carb and high Protein. Great!

I was talking to my SIL about this very thing, after she commented on how hard it must have been. I find that the less of a big deal I make of it, the easier it is. I had to go to a luncheon about 3 weeks post-op and I was very worried ahead of time. But you know what the meal was? Cream of asparagus Soup, and a salad. Iced tea. Cheesecake. I was so early in that the soup was just perfect. I pushed the salad around, drank my tea, and said I wasn't interested in dessert. I went to a wedding six weeks out and ate every meal out (and had a two day road trip around it.) I ate lots of scrambled eggs and chili, but I learned that there is something out there pretty much everywhere. The one place I do not usually choose to go out to, is for pizza if there's nothing else on the restaurant's menu.

Now that I'm 6 months out, there is something I can eat pretty much anywhere I go. The less I stress about it, the better. But, like many others, I keep almonds and Protein bars in my car. I'll have a shake on a low Protein day. I don't keep Cookies or chips in the house.

Let me suggest this: if you want treats in the house, make them yourself. :)

You see the easy availability of Snacks is a problem. Fill the house with the good veggies and fruit since that is going to help you. food is not a reward, maybe for your animals, but even the "good life" results in a whole lot of animals needing hip fixes and the like for weight issues.

I had the gastric bypass and I am 6 weeks out...when do you think I can have sashimi? I miss sashimi a lot...in have not been in touch with my NUT since the first time I met her for evaluation like back in Dec.

I am only 10 days post-op from a Gastric

Bypass. So on a full liquid diet now.

Yesterday I went out to get my eye checked I brought with me my Protein shake to last for two meals and my Water.

I ended up out longer than I thought and shake got warm and gross and I didn't want it.

So at first got upset then thought ok I can run to grocery store and get a yogurt. While at giant Eagle I saw they had homemade chicken noodle Soup and decided to skip yogurt and buy just the broth from the soup. I was double proud of myself for sticking to my plan and also having the courage to stand there and ladle out just the broth and proudly walk to counter and buy it.

I was wondering if you leave home and forget food what or where do you turn to find food?

Core power is a good Protein Drink if your stuck out. Btw greek yogurt may have been your better choice for Protein. Another tip is to carry some Protein powder with you. In a.pinch u can add it to Water and mix it up and drink it. You will get better at preparing for any happenings. Good luck to you.

I again want to thank everyone who is taking their time to comment. I plan on going out a lot more now that I am feeling more normal. I will use these tips to help me stay on track! Everyone's advice has been read and considered and is so valuable!

I plan in cleaning out my van today and getting a nice container to pack all my goodies in!!

For later stages: Street tacos - beef or chicken or pastor. You can skip the tortilla and just eat the filling or not, depending on your eating plan. One taco does me for a meal and it's usually under $2. In the Southwest they are pretty easy to find.

What is a street taco? A small corn tortilla with a few ounces of grilled meat, onions, cilantro and they usually give you a lime to squeeze on it. Add some salsa to spice it up. Perfect bariatric meal.

Note: a street taco from a real Mexican place is not a Taco Bell taco ;)

My favorite now that i can eat a bit, i order the chicken or carnitas meat only side of salsa and some sliced avacado cilantro and lime. Under $2 and still have enough for about 2 to 3 meals although my son usually beats me to it.

Wish I could have street tacos...tried one last week and couldn't even get one bite down. I am still new with all this so I am going to try it later on. Perhaps 4-6 months down the road. We have this awesome taco place here the taco truck and their tacos are amazing. Use to have them regularly pre-surgery. Am going to try hard shell tacos moving forward cause the soft tortilla doesn't do well for me right now...

@@RNBSN786 Yes, you are pretty early out, but time will fly and then you can taco your heart out ;)

or just eat the filling. I skip the shells now.

@RNBSN786 I was going to say the same as @piercedqt78 no need for the shell of any kind...ever ;) ... just have the fixings are you are "good"... enjoy... I really don't miss the shell (soft or hard) at all anymore...

@@RNBSN786 Yes, you are pretty early out, but time will fly and then you can taco your heart out ;)

I hope I can try it out again later on cause I miss the small street tacos....

Edited by RNBSN786