Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your go to food when you're out and forgot to bring?

In the early on stages I would carry my Protein Shake and Water with me every where I go. I even do now that and I am 5.5 week post op. If I had to get something outside I would still get the shakes or I would get a Soup. I am not there yet to have anything solid...just soft foods and mushy things. Also when I work in the weekends, I take my yogurt, Protein Shakes with me. Oh you can also get cottage cheese too. Good luck!

We have a place called Bojangles here that has roasted chicken bites,...love the seasoning they put on it... one order is good for at least 2 meals... but, of course, that's when you get to solids...

Deli meat and cheese from the grocery store or a Flying Dutchman from In N Out.

For later stages: Street tacos - beef or chicken or pastor. You can skip the tortilla and just eat the filling or not, depending on your eating plan. One taco does me for a meal and it's usually under $2. In the Southwest they are pretty easy to find.

What is a street taco? A small corn tortilla with a few ounces of grilled meat, onions, cilantro and they usually give you a lime to squeeze on it. Add some salsa to spice it up. Perfect bariatric meal.

Note: a street taco from a real Mexican place is not a Taco Bell taco ;)

No veggies?

Taco Bell and McD's and BK are not real food under any circumstances.

Make it a habit

Eat like a rabbit

My middle boy Joe got a bite of a graham cracker I once had sitting down with him and petting him. He decided that one bite was enough. Just like one cracker for us is enough (ok I've had 2 but not big ones).

Thank you guys so much for all the responses and ideas!!

I am so blessed to know I am not alone in this and there are others who have to consider and plan ahead just like me!!!

I just returned from a rehearsal dinner where I took my Protein Shake and asked for a wine glass poured it in it and sat and sipped it and Water while everyone else ate their meals.

I am so proud of myself!! Sitting there with dignity about the choices I have made.

You aren't. We all have to adjust after surgery. The successful people, really, that's what they do: watch their food and exercise.

No matter what, the tool is a tool, it is not a cure all.

If I am out and about I try to swing through Wendy's for chili if you are not at that stage, try taking a cooler with you with some greek yogurt or cottage cheese. any Protein you are able to eat is good. I have had to do chicken nuggets in a pinch but not my favorite. I always carry a Quest Protein Bar in my purse just in case. I found out what I could and could not eat after my mushy stage. I know that I cannot get any kind of hamburger on a bun or taco's etc. I have eaten pizza but very little of the crust. There are really good suggestions on here from experienced bandsters and other weight loss folks. My nutritionist gave me a formula that has worked. if you have a 200 calorie item, the Protein should equal 10% or 20 grams. 5 grams of sugar or less is ideal.

I usually order off the kids meal - hamburger without the bun or chicken. If i am in a crunch, I will get the kids lunchables and eat the cheese and meat. I am 4 months post off and have not yet tried Jerky. I always have something to drink and string cheese with me.

Turkey Jerky, cheese stick, Belvita Breakfast biscuits, Wendys small chili , baby carrots, pre sliced apples in a bag, pre sliced fruit, deli sliced turkey., nuts

I keep non-perishable Protein Bars in my lunch bag, car, and purse for food-emergencies. My lunch bag goes everywhere w/me. In a pinch I'll grab an Oscar Meyer ham & swiss lunchable from Walmart, Target, or the grocery store (the little one w/o desert). I throw out 1/2 the crackers. Subway Soup. Panera soup. Wendy's chili. Perky Turkey Jerky (low cal all natural). Nuts. So many options for a meal, or at least a snack to carry you over till you can get a real meal. :-)

I always keep a cans of tuna or sardines in my car. Beef Jerky, Muscle Milk, hard boiled eggs or string cheese from the convenience work in a pinch, too.

Be well…

My lunch is Taco Bell pintos and cheese if I forget to bring, and am in a hurry. f I have more time, I enjoy the bowls or naked burritos from Mo's, Qdoba or Chipotle. I have meat with fajita veggies, black Beans, and usually a couple different salsas. I add guac if I'm feeling decadent (it's also a great source of potassium which helps with my leg cramps). These are usually 2-3 meals worth of food for me, but I'm a big fan of leftovers!

I read about P3's on this site just another thread. You buy them at Walmart (I'm sure other places carry them too). They are convenient little grab-and-go type containers with cubed cheese, turkey cubes and almonds (or peanuts). They have 13 grams of Protein. Oscar Meyer makes them and you find them where prepackaged lunch meats and 'lunchables' boxed foods are located in the refrigerated grocery section. I'm guessing they were intended as healthy Snacks but for us, they can be a meal on the go. No guilt, no prep, just grab and go(:

I use the P3's mentioned by @@DelayedGratification and love them. I eat the meat and cheese for my meal and then have the peanuts or almonds for later. I have also discovered that if you ask nicely at Wendy's they will go into the salad options and just charge you for an extra chicken breast (about $1.75-$2.00) it's grilled, and they will also give you a sauce or dressing if you ask for it. Right now I'm hooked on the pom vinegarette and the new Asian ginger, both are light, and really give the grilled chicken some flavor. I usually get that, and pay the extra and have them add shredded cheese to my chicken if I'm really hungry or haven't had any dairy for the day. If not I have my chicken dipped in the dressing (a better choice than their sauces) and I'm full, my lunch was cheap, and I have zero guilt. If my daughter or hubby go they get a burger and baked potato and I steal a bite of their potato, or chili, but I don't touch the fries, bun, or crackers. Not that I'm denying myself, but even pre sleeve those weren't my thing. I have also ordered the "salad sized" chili. It's the one that comes with a green salad and tortilla chips. It's also in the salad options on the register, I have had to explain it at a few locations but they are ALWAYS great about it, and more than willing to help me out. I guess they figure if I can tell them how to ring it up, that I'm a regular at their chain. I like Wendy's better than any other burger place, because they do have some healthy options. We also really love Chipotle, I order a single soft taco, and just skip the tortilla. I have them do super light rice (hey I'm skipping the tortilla, so a little rice is ok, chicken is my go to, but I also like the barbacoa, fresh tomatoes, corn, and light sour cream and cheese. I don't usually finish an entire taco. And when I ask for no tortilla they make it in the container for the bowl and I end up with almost double what comes in a taco, I hate to waste food, but it doesn't reheat well, so I either give the tortilla to the hubs to go with his bowl, or I toss it. I would rather toss a tortilla than a huge pile of meat and veggies.