Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 53 and lapbanded on 9/20/12.

I have lost 60 pounds and my goal is 80 pounds. I feel great and in a size 8 and small tops. The lapband is only a tool of about 20% and I must do the other with food choices and exercise. I hope to get to goal at my 2 year mark.

I love reading posts by motivated banders. You know success and you've worked for it. You've got this. Best Wishes!

I was also banded in 2012 lost 90 and gained 25 back from stress eating. Need to get 50 off but no motivation. I'm the type of person that if I fail I have a hard time getting back up. Carbs are my downfall. Do you count calories and carbs or just go by what your band lets you do.

cleesscruggs, I don't know if you were asking that question to the original poster or me....... I set a daily calorie goal on MyFitnessPal, and I try to avoid carbs as much as possible. bread and sweets are a trigger food for me, so I choose not

to bring them in the house. Most of the time, the band helps me with portion size and no hunger inbetween meals.....exactly what it's supposed to do. Best Wishes!

@@Annette Corrado Great post! You are doing beautifully and it is very inspiring to see those numbers.

@@cleescruggs That awareness is going to help you pull yourself right back up. Personally, I don't count carbs but I only eat good ones -- no breads, pastas or sugary things. chips, etc. are sliders and if my band isn't giving my brain the signal for satiety, what's the point of having done all this?

Hey lapbander,

I forgot to say that I log my calories as of 1/1/2014 on myfitnesspal. I eat organic now and only fish as of 1/2014 and no processed foods. I eat every meal from my cookin and kitchen...........LOL. I preplan my meals on Sunday night. I put in plastic one cup portion size. I drink no bubbles of anykind and no refined "carbs". I exercise 60 min per day-usually 5 days a week. I do Swim-Bike-Run and I am a TRIATHLETE at 53 I just finished my first race in May. I NEVER would have thought I could do a race-ever-but I trained an crossed the finish line-"not a jet-set time" but I got a medal for 3rd in my age group.

I have not been a fast loser on this journey about a half a pound a week. I exercise quite a bit to get the last fat off my body which is my legs and rear end. My top half of my body is all gone-normal-and my breast have deflated to nothing. I now use "shoulder" pads in my bra which makes nice "fake boobies"............LOL

Overall, I feel good and my legs no longer hurt and my back does not pain me after work. I have lost about 1" so now I am 5 2" not 5 3" perhaps due to age and bone loss. food choices is the key and amount with the lapband. I never eat over 3 ounces of food- to overeat means trouble! I hate my lapband at times due to that I cannot eat my foods that I ate before-but then again if I ate those foods I would be back to obesity. I never want to return to my former self again;overweight and unhappy with myself. I keep saying that it took me how long to get myself into this "80lbs gain" so I cannot do it overnight. I have learned that I am a emotional eater with I "never" knew and I eat out of "comfort" like people who use drugs or other things to cover the pain or emotional stressor. I have did some deep thoughts about "why I eat" and how to avoid the mindless eating due to just being "just sad" This is a mental journey so your going to change in every way. Remember, on this WL journey , relationships will change and so will you.

Good for you! I am 52. I was banded in 2008. I really feel like I am getting a do-over right now. I have not followed the guidelines at all. And have gained some weight back. That too is bc I am an emotional eater. Lapband won't fix that. But, I did not realize when I got banded that I would still eat so much (emotionally). I have used slider foods for a LONG time now, so I could eat when I "needed" to emotionally. Mostly when I am scared, angry, frustrated, you get it. And stress...the biggy. I did not change my lifestyle or eating habits. The band is a tool if one chooses to use it. I did not. In fact, I fought it "using" (like a drug) slider foods.

I discovered OA in 2011. I attend meetings and have a sponsor, and I have begun the journey of knowing myself. Which also means learning about trigger foods and what makes me eat (or what's eating me as some say). I had forgotten how we are supposed to eat with a lapband, and felt like a failure. I was in denial (and not the river) about it. And just acted as if I could eat like anyone else. I can't. My sponsor, after trying to help me come up with a food plan for months now, finally suggested I see a nut. I thought a great deal about it. Then I did some online research last week and found this site. Gosh, it has all the info I need it seems.

I am thankful. I wasn't ready to do the work before and try to eat right or according to what my lapband would like for me too. I've wallowed in a lot of self pity this last year. Done with that. I have joined MFP like many on here and am logging my food and exercise. Which is proven to be the key to weight loss success. Being aware of what you eat, when you eat and why you eat. It is a good tool for me now as well. But I had to come to the place to want it...I used to log my food and exercise on another site, but resented it. And just tried to cheat it. Difference now I suppose is being in the right frame of mind, wanting to be successful and finding support on here. I am enjoying have buddies on MFP that are lapbanders. That understand food addiction and how hard it is to do the next right thing sometimes. It didn't work for me to before to have a few buddies that were just on a diet. They didn't understand how certain foods have a voice in my head. Certain foods are triggers, and one is not enough, and one is too much. Some foods cause me to eat compulsively. That will never change. So, I have to give them up. I've prolly had enough ice cream for my entire life. I can live w/o it. So, with the support found here and thru other groups, like OA; I can give it up one day at a time.

But I was really struggling before finding this site a few days ago. I'd throw my hands up in frustration and say, "I don't know what to eat!" And just eat the carbs or sliders. And feel sorry for myself. I had digestion issues. Constipation. I'd try so many things. But, I just figured out from reading a forum post on here, while I take Fiber pills, I don't drink enough Water, which can just make things worse. How in the world did I not know that? I drink a lot of caffeine all day. DUh. So, getting in my Water the last few days (8 glasses, and logging it thank ya very much), bathroom problems solved. Mostly. And my stomach is feeling so much better, just eating right. Eating cleaner, drinking the required water. Looking at my nutrients on MFP and making better choices.

Education and support go such a long way on this journey. If anyone wants to add me on MFP, my username is dbradley2010. I welcome the support and will gladly offer you mine. :-)

What is MFP?

MFP standss for " My Fitness Pal " , you set up an account and put in your daily exercise and food, etc. Free ! It calculates all the info from your food, calories , fat, Protein , etc. Google it for more info. I find it very helpful to keep track of whether im eating right and exercising. Good luck !

Ok. I've used that before. I'm using fitbit but it doesn't seem to give me as much information. Thanks

I think fitbit will sync with MFP. At least I believe I saw that. I have logged in 9 days straight now and I love it. A lotta support there from ppl on here that you can buddy up with. I like seeing the data on what I am putting in my mouth too. And it will caution you if you are taking in too many carbs, sugar, etc. Good for me to get that red flag. It helps with planning out the next day so you are not guessing what to eat.